Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2015, 09:33 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Repairing Cloth Wall panels

My used 2007 P-Way excel has sun damage to the cloth wall panels around window openings. The material just sloughs off when touched. I tried getting some repair ideas from P-W, but their only response was to replace the panels. (That requires going thro a faraway dealer in our case, as P_W won't let you order from them.) We need a less costly alternative repair. Has anyone dealt with this problem and/or has some ideas?
Second, has anyone removed the panels themselves and can say whether it is easily done? Any and all solutions would be appreciated.
pebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:57 AM   #2
Bronze Member

I guess cloth panels have not been a problem with most owners and I wish the prior owner had used reflectix on the windows. That was my first install.
I did find a Roadtrek owner who has a blog of his renovations on line. He sent me a list of good suggestions. I agree with him that I will have to experiment and see what will work. I guarantee that the new material will be sun resistant and scotch guarded before installing.
Otherwise, this P-W is in excellent condition and we are enjoying the van style travel greatly.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I looked at a few used Class A's. All were approx the same age, same original quality. In one unit the fabric on valances etc. was just falling apart.

The interior wall cover panels on some Class B would be held on by screws. The screw would be part of or pass through a snap fitting. The finish would be a covered snap button.

snap button screw.JPG
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:34 PM   #4
Platinum Member

this has my wondering...I have a 2006 PW which is in AZ...lots of light and my fabric is ok.

we do try to shade it but it's bright...and hot.

i wonder if the previous owner sprayed a window cleaner which ate the cloth...

to remove the cloth for you would be easy if it's falling apart...looks like the cloth covered buttons secure the cloth to a frame

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:09 AM   #5
Bronze Member

Never thought about a window cleaner being the culprit. That is quite possible. The interior is very clean. )But,All the window coverings were disintegrated, too, which I have replaced.) I removed one button type screw, but it seemed unrelated to the attachment of the wall board. Did discover I can stretch a nice filmy material over the area and anchor it under the edges. Found a beautiful fancy fabric and I will try to work with it that way and fabric glue, if needed.
Mkguitar, we spend time in Az, too, which is why I installed the ford reflectix window
panels.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:18 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebbles View Post
I removed one button type screw, but it seemed unrelated to the attachment of the wall board.
You may need to remove several to get it to move. On my Roadtrek, the cloth seems to be glued to some kind of backer board. When I needed to disconnect the wiring to the taillight assembly a couple months ago, I had to remove all the button screws in the back corner of the van, and all the screws for the curtain track in that area, just to be able to pull it a few inches away from the van wall so I could squeeze my hand in behind it to get to the connector. It was very stiff & not at all cloth-like.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:19 PM   #7

Did you ever find a good solution to repairing your PW cloth wall panels? The fabric in our PW next to the entry door is literally flaking away, exposing the foam layer below. I don't think this is an easy panel to replace - but sonde if you found a way to recover or replace.
Thanks for any insight.
GoingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:09 AM   #8
Bronze Member

Default repairs

Looks like this is a common problem. Hope PW has improved materials used.
Anyway, I unscrewed wall panel between door frame and kitchen, and then cut a lightweight plastic piece to fit the space and screwed back on. It fits the depth of the space and is almost unnoticeable.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:28 AM   #9

Default panel repair

Thanks for the advice - wondering how your removed the panel to repair? I don't see any screws - but perhaps behind the "wood" strip edging? Not sure how to remove that without damaging it.
GoingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:50 AM   #10
Bronze Member

I don't recall exactly, but, there was a button with a screw behind it that I removed and then screwed into the new plastic panel. I also recalled that I cut the old cloth panel off, just above where the cloth was disintegrating.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:09 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
You may need to remove several to get it to move. On my Roadtrek, the cloth seems to be glued to some kind of backer board. When I needed to disconnect the wiring to the taillight assembly a couple months ago, I had to remove all the button screws in the back corner of the van, and all the screws for the curtain track in that area, just to be able to pull it a few inches away from the van wall so I could squeeze my hand in behind it to get to the connector. It was very stiff & not at all cloth-like.
Good day from Ottawa, Ontario.
I was happy to find your October 2015 post. We have a 2012 Roadtrek !90/Ranger, a modified Poplar 190. The trailer hitch is aftermarket and does not have a wiring harness, and we want to wire our new Stowaway 2 box using the rear light wires.
How easy or difficult was it to remove the screws and pull back the walls, and is there much a risk of damaging the backer board?

Sensfan
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:24 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Removing the screws wasn't difficult, you'll need a Robertson bit if you don't have one already (#1, if I'm not mistaken). But like I said, I only loosened the panel just enough to slip my hand behind it. Since my previous post I've not had to mess with those panels again.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:37 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Removing the screws wasn't difficult, you'll need a Robertson bit if you don't have one already (#1, if I'm not mistaken). But like I said, I only loosened the panel just enough to slip my hand behind it. Since my previous post I've not had to mess with those panels again.
Are your Robertson screws covered by round rigid cloth buttons? If yes, you just pop them off?
Old 07-24-2020, 01:54 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Some of them are, and yes you just pop off the button to uncover the screw head.
Old 07-24-2020, 05:41 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan View Post
The trailer hitch is aftermarket and does not have a wiring harness, and we want to wire our new Stowaway 2 box using the rear light wires.

Most GM's of that era have wiring near the hitch area, or accessed from the vehicle exterior, rather than interior

Curt makes a savanna/express kit for flat 4, they also make other kits

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-55540-Cu...t+Express+3500
Old 07-24-2020, 06:30 PM   #16
Platinum Member

My 2 cents that I chose for my 2005 Roadtrek; I went to a very affordable Auto Upholstery guy who completely redid my reae interior in a high quality fabric.

As for the frames, screws, etc - they make their own. To you & I it seems difficult but they do this all days, everyday- I am in Los Angeles if you need a referral - I had him replace all the front hood liner also & the visors.

About $400-600 total.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:29 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Thanks mkguitar ... so far it looks like I don't have external wiring; two shops have looked underneath for the connection. We will keep looking ... and if there is none I will find someone to remove the interior panels, maybe an auto upholstery shop as mentioned by themexicandoctor.
Tsk
Old 07-24-2020, 07:42 PM   #18
Platinum Member

My coach looks & feels brand new inside.

A quality Auto Upholstery person is a Creative Artist first.

They can make Magic.

And you, probably like I previously, have the light, white/cream speckled interior fabric that I did.

15 years in a rig that moves is a lot of accumulated dust, smudges & environmental damage.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:00 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan View Post
Thanks mkguitar ... so far it looks like I don't have external wiring; two shops have looked underneath for the connection. We will keep looking ...

should be able to access externally- open doors and the tailights and wiring are easily accessed

mike
Old 07-24-2020, 08:42 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
should be able to access externally- open doors and the tailights and wiring are easily accessed
mike
So I read your post, went outside, opened the rear doors, looked up under the open ended rear light lens, and yes, there they were: the wires !!!
I can't wait to show this to my garage next week. If we ever cross tracks, expect a two-four of cold Molson Canadian.
merci,
Sensfan