Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2018, 12:40 AM   #41
Platinum Member

Roadtrek Adventurous RS1"

Quote ........

" I know my limitations.. and I don't have the skills to repair my own rig. "

End Quote.

Perhaps you are not as incapable as you think you are - you seem to investigate things pretty thoroughly judging by your posts!

As I get up in years (arthritis issue etc!) I do tend to do less myself than I used to, but my experience with some really shoddy workmanship from so-called RV Techs over the years, has always driven me to do my own work whenever I can.

I'm not saying there are not good ones - just also many bad ones!

No-one tries as hard to do a good job on your RV as you will do yourself! And these days, all the D.I.Y. youtube videos available can be really helpful if you don't already have the skills / knowledge.

We had our last Airstream trailer for ten years and it was never once in an RV repair shop - but did have quite a few repairs, routine maintenance, and upgrades over the years, all done by me. The more that you know about your RV, the better prepared you are to deal with issues that may happen out on the road.

Mind you, I do wonder if it could be a different situation with the 2019 Pleasure-way Plateau FL we picked up last Thursday though - so much of it involves ihigh tech electronics, and that really isn't my forte!

Everything is controlled via multiplex wiring and touch screens - this old guy won't have much of a clue what to do if that gets out of whack! (But I'll likely try!)

I really would have been more happy with good old "On/off" switches for everything!

We'll see how it goes - I am still doing all my initial checks and so far, quality control from PW and/or their local dealer seems very good - no issues at all found yet and I have pretty much tested everything in our driveway before the first outing!!

Cheers ............ Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:12 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Default Congratulations on your new Pleasure Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Roadtrek Adventurous RS1"

Quote ........

" I know my limitations.. and I don't have the skills to repair my own rig. "

End Quote.

Perhaps you are not as incapable as you think you are - you seem to investigate things pretty thoroughly judging by your posts!

As I get up in years (arthritis issue etc!) I do tend to do less myself than I used to, but my experience with some really shoddy workmanship from so-called RV Techs over the years, has always driven me to do my own work whenever I can.

I'm not saying there are not good ones - just also many bad ones!

No-one tries as hard to do a good job on your RV as you will do yourself! And these days, all the D.I.Y. youtube videos available can be really helpful if you don't already have the skills / knowledge.

We had our last Airstream trailer for ten years and it was never once in an RV repair shop - but did have quite a few repairs, routine maintenance, and upgrades over the years, all done by me. The more that you know about your RV, the better prepared you are to deal with issues that may happen out on the road.

Mind you, I do wonder if it could be a different situation with the 2019 Pleasure-way Plateau FL we picked up last Thursday though - so much of it involves ihigh tech electronics, and that really isn't my forte!

Everything is controlled via multiplex wiring and touch screens - this old guy won't have much of a clue what to do if that gets out of whack! (But I'll likely try!)

I really would have been more happy with good old "On/off" switches for everything!

We'll see how it goes - I am still doing all my initial checks and so far, quality control from PW and/or their local dealer seems very good - no issues at all found yet and I have pretty much tested everything in our driveway before the first outing!!

Cheers ............ Brian.
Brian, enjoy your new vehicle...I have heard many great things about PW....and they have a 5 year warranty...? I don't think you're going to have many problems...

I think if I did it all over again... I might purchase new and sell it right before the warranty expires... but, again, the depreciation on this is still a really big expense in my opinion...

As for fixing my own rig....you know, I've talked with the folks at Roadtrek, my RV shop and have seen how tightly fitted everything is on the underside of my RV.....it's amazing how they even designed all of this to be on the vehicle... like a glove.....

I don't want to make things worse.....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:47 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
As for fixing my own rig....you know, I've talked with the folks at Roadtrek, my RV shop and have seen how tightly fitted everything is on the underside of my RV.....it's amazing how they even designed all of this to be on the vehicle... like a glove.....

I don't want to make things worse.....
It's easier than it looks. And the more you do it, the better you get at it.

The main challenge is the time it takes. Everything is plumbed, built, or wired on top of everything else, so each repair or mod tends to become a large-scale onion-peeling exercise before you even get to the specific part to be worked on.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:03 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Default Not interested in doing this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
It's easier than it looks. And the more you do it, the better you get at it.

The main challenge is the time it takes. Everything is plumbed, built, or wired on top of everything else, so each repair or mod tends to become a large-scale onion-peeling exercise before you even get to the specific part to be worked on.
Listen, I appreciate your reply... but, I don't work on my cars either.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:49 PM   #45
Silver Member

Default Sprinter Chassis Maintenance is Expensive

I suppose we fall in the category of NOT being DIY'ers also. So far in 2018 my chassis/engine repairs on my 2011 Sprinter are $4k. The biggest part of that is from the MacPherson strut replacement for probably boondocking in spots that are too remote. We did have the infamous $800 service though too. In our case, it is every 10k miles and requires a fuel filter which is the biggest cost. It doesn't seem to matter if it's a dealer or independent, the number is always around $800 per service. I suspect it is the three-pointed star that commands such a price for the NON DIY'er.

However, we full-time in our's and we wouldn't have it any other way! So we cough the dough up. However, had I'd known I would not gotten a diesel or anything that was named Mercedes-Benz.
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:17 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Default Ray, I understand and glad you appreciate what I've said..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
I suppose we fall in the category of NOT being DIY'ers also. So far in 2018 my chassis/engine repairs on my 2011 Sprinter are $4k. The biggest part of that is from the MacPherson strut replacement for probably boondocking in spots that are too remote. We did have the infamous $800 service though too. In our case, it is every 10k miles and requires a fuel filter which is the biggest cost. It doesn't seem to matter if it's a dealer or independent, the number is always around $800 per service. I suspect it is the three-pointed star that commands such a price for the NON DIY'er.

However, we full-time in our's and we wouldn't have it any other way! So we cough the dough up. However, had I'd known I would not gotten a diesel or anything that was named Mercedes-Benz.

Hi Ray, I don't know how many miles you have on your 2011.. we have 43,000... had the shocks and suspension upgrades at 39,000 miles. We put Koni FSD shocks and replaced the factory anti-sway bar with one about twice the size and added a track bar in the rear for added stability. Cost was $3,200... lifetime shocks. It's an investment for sure.

Yes, and you're so correct... a lot of other people on this forum just "don't get it"... Mercedes Benz parts are very expensive. Thank goodness it's only a 10,000 miles interval.

What's your RV?? And you like living in it, you're full time?

Here's a link to our exact coach.... we got it in May 2017... it's very nice I think, but, it sure does cost a lot to maintain.

We paid $79,000 and had to put in a lot of upgrades and maintenance.

Solar panels, new navigation, sound system, new HD backup camera front and rear, proximity sensors.

Rebuilt genset, new plumbing, tires, batteries, etc. It's a lot in about 17 months ... but, we did travel 15,000 miles last year.

https://www.conejowholesaleauto.com/...beffb59e9eb708

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2012/...6012700/Values

The diesel is expensive, but, like you, I love the way it drives and performs.
Incidentally, if you have not already done so, get your airbags replaced free of charge under warranty from Mercedes. I did and I'm very happy I took care of it under the warranty.

By the way, I don't think it's because you went to remote areas for the shocks, probably would have happened anyway.... heavy vehicle.

--Mark
Old 09-25-2018, 10:53 PM   #47
Silver Member

Quote:

Hi Ray, I don't know how many miles you have on your 2011.. we have 43,000... had the shocks and suspension upgrades at 39,000 miles. We put Koni FSD shocks and replaced the factory anti-sway bar with one about twice the size and added a track bar in the rear for added stability. Cost was $3,200... lifetime shocks. It's an investment for sure.

Yes, and you're so correct... a lot of other people on this forum just "don't get it"... Mercedes Benz parts are very expensive. Thank goodness it's only a 10,000 miles interval.

What's your RV?? And you like living in it, you're full time?

Here's a link to our exact coach.... we got it in May 2017... it's very nice I think, but, it sure does cost a lot to maintain.

We paid $79,000 and had to put in a lot of upgrades and maintenance.

The diesel is expensive, but, like you, I love the way it drives and performs.
Incidentally, if you have not already done so, get your airbags replaced free of charge under warranty from Mercedes. I did and I'm very happy I took care of it under the warranty.

By the way, I don't think it's because you went to remote areas for the shocks, probably would have happened anyway.... heavy vehicle.

--Mark
Hi Mark,

We have a Pleasure-Way Plateau TD. It's a 2012 with 2011 MB chassis. Bought it in April, 2017 with 12,800 miles for $80k. Have full-timed since and now have 33k miles. We are currently in Florida though looking for a home base on the coast, so next year we will be back to half-time.

Ray B.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:23 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Default How similar our RV's are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
Hi Mark,

We have a Pleasure-Way Plateau TD. It's a 2012 with 2011 MB chassis. Bought it in April, 2017 with 12,800 miles for $80k. Have full-timed since and now have 33k miles. We are currently in Florida though looking for a home base on the coast, so next year we will be back to half-time.

Ray B.

Hi Ray,

We purchased ours for almost the same price, although yours had fewer miles. We got it in May 2017 with 26,000 miles.

What I realized after I got it was even though the tires looked new..and had tread, they were 6 years old, same for batteries, propane sensor, and a bunch of other stuff that went bad.

Have you had any trouble with the glow plugs? One of ours failed under 30,000 miles and I had all 6 replaced at once.

Lots of stuff... how many hours on your generator? Keep that thing exercised.

Did you get it from a dealership or private party?

Seems like there's a cycle for all of these systems and then your done with repairs... and only have maintenance.

Even with all the money I put into it to make it just the way I wanted it... it was still less expensive than buying new.

--Mark
Old 09-26-2018, 02:59 AM   #49
Silver Member

Quote:
Hi Ray,

We purchased ours for almost the same price, although yours had fewer miles. We got it in May 2017 with 26,000 miles.

What I realized after I got it was even though the tires looked new..and had tread, they were 6 years old, same for batteries, propane sensor, and a bunch of other stuff that went bad.

Have you had any trouble with the glow plugs? One of ours failed under 30,000 miles and I had all 6 replaced at once.

Lots of stuff... how many hours on your generator? Keep that thing exercised.

Did you get it from a dealership or private party?

Seems like there's a cycle for all of these systems and then your done with repairs... and only have maintenance.

Even with all the money I put into it to make it just the way I wanted it... it was still less expensive than buying new.

--Mark
We bought our RV at Camping World - Mesa, AZ. They don't usually handle Pleasure-Ways so they were happy to get it off their lot. We used an NRVIA inspector and he spotted the tires and batteries as problems and Camping World replaced them.

We've not had an issue with glow plugs. Besides the struts, we didn't have any other chassis repairs, just the aforementioned service.

The generator had 40 hours on it when we got the PW. Now it has over 250 hours. So, it does get used!

Ray B
Old 09-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #50

I'm in a similar situation but at the beginning of our adventure getting into an RV. I think part of the problem is manufacturers are using an MB and all german cars require maintenance that is always more expensive than a japanese or american car. My SUV is an MB and if it wasn't for the large v8 I would have sold it years ago.
Compared to my wife's toyota which is older and has 3x the miles, I have spent more far and away than she has. Don't get me wrong my MB is a blast to drive but like the RV is the trade-off worth it. I'm hoping that for you it has been but your experience seems similar to mine with my MB. It's a love-hate relationship, I would like to see coach builders using the Nissan NV or the Ford Transit with an eco-boost engine.
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:11 PM   #51
Silver Member

Quicksilver,

Yes, I think that's well said.

Ray B.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:52 PM   #52
Platinum Member

Default YES...nice to hear that my experience is not an anomaly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I'm in a similar situation but at the beginning of our adventure getting into an RV. I think part of the problem is manufacturers are using an MB and all german cars require maintenance that is always more expensive than a japanese or american car. My SUV is an MB and if it wasn't for the large v8 I would have sold it years ago.
Compared to my wife's toyota which is older and has 3x the miles, I have spent more far and away than she has. Don't get me wrong my MB is a blast to drive but like the RV is the trade-off worth it. I'm hoping that for you it has been but your experience seems similar to mine with my MB. It's a love-hate relationship, I would like to see coach builders using the Nissan NV or the Ford Transit with an eco-boost engine.
You know what they say about misery loving company....

I have two Japanese cars ...a Subaru Outback and a Toyota Prius ... great cars...
I absolutely agree.... German engineering is great for the driving experience, but, they're very expensive, complicated and more trouble.... when things are excellent... they are wonderful.

I've had a few issues with the Mercedes Benz....one was the glow plugs ( even surprised the dealership)...and the other big deal was a problem with the emissions system...they replaced the entire system at 39,000 miles at their expense. Other than that.. just regular maintenance......oil changes, filter changes, it's all expensive parts and labor...

You're right... there's nothing like Japanese cars... Toyota, Honda and Subaru are tops, besides Lexus... which is just an upgraded Toyota.

Most of the really expensive stuff were maintenance issues or failures on the house portion of the RV.... sewer line cracking, plumbing and macerator pump issues with damaged gate valves.....

It's really hard to complain about tires, batteries, shocks.... seems pointless... every vehicle needs those....

If it has wheels, it has problems....
Old 09-27-2018, 02:04 AM   #53
Platinum Member

Quote:
We did have the infamous $800 service though too. In our case, it is every 10k miles and requires a fuel filter which is the biggest cost.
The most expensive fuel filter I can find for a 2011 is $71 Canadian, the cheapest is just under $26. I can't see how that equates to $800 unless you're paying for 30 minutes of labour at $1500 per hour.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:08 AM   #54
Silver Member

Default Fuel Filter cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
The most expensive fuel filter I can find for a 2011 is $71 Canadian, the cheapest is just under $26. I can't see how that equates to $800 unless you're paying for 30 minutes of labour at $1500 per hour.
We have had 2 services done in 17 months. Our 3500 manual calls for a filter change at every 10,000 mile interval. We have had different shops do it (Fletcher Jones Sprinter Service in Las Vegas, and Frank's European Auto Service in Las Vegas). Each consistently charged us over $400 for a fuel filter service, exclusive of the oil change.

Frank's (the independent) for "fuel filter/with water separator replacement needed" $410.13 (labor?) + $145.29 for "1 fuel filter". Total $552.42 w/o tax.

Fletcher Jones Sprinter Service (a MB Sprinter dealer) charged 2.5 hours labor ($375) + "fuel filter/water separator" ($134.45) Total $409.45 w/o tax.

Had gone to Fletcher Jones for our 1st service (B), and they said that the reason for the add'l cost was that the aftermarket manufacturer (Pleasure Way) had bolted a piece of equipment too close to the access point for the fuel filter. Frank's called me to say that their original estimate for the fuel filter would be significantly higher because of additional man hours needed to replace the fuel filter.

Not being a mechanic, I can only tell you what I was told and what the invoices say. Went to the dealer first, and when I thought it was too high I went to an independent, who was higher.

Ray B.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:49 AM   #55
Platinum Member

There is a video on Youtube of a guy replacing his fuel filter in less than 30 minutes on his 2012 Sprinter. 2.5 hours of labour seems excessive, but perhaps the labour is explained by this additional equipment removal.

Note - I have little experience with Sprinters, and newer year fuel filters are apparently different so I cannot comment on them.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote