Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2016, 08:19 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Replace gasoline filter in Onan

Has anyone replaced the in line gasoline filter in their Onan 2.8 genset?
Is it possible to do without dropping the unit and opening the case?
Can one simply remove the top hose and gently pull up on the filter to access the bottom connection?

Thanks for any assistance,
John
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Should be information of location/access in the operators manual.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Not really, I have both the op annual and the service Manuel and neither gives any details except to say that there are hose clamps on each end. The location is obvious as soon as the access plate is removed.

I was looking for someone to tell me if I would rip the other end of the hose off the fuel pump were I to pull up on the hose to access the lower clamp. That, of course, would necessitate dropping the genset...something I am not interested in doing to change the fuel filter.

John
Old 03-09-2016, 06:22 PM   #4
Platinum Member

When I have changed fuel filters (cars, mowers, etc. - not on a generator fyi) , I have done it simply by undoing the clamps (using the right tool for doing that) at each end of the filter. Have used something to catch spilled fuel, some rags for cleanup, etc. Can be messy, but controllable.

That is what access panels are for - a lot easier than pulling the whole generator.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Well, not to belabor the point' but when the access plate is removed, the filter is half visible. That is, the lower half is below the access area whereas the upper half is accessible easily.
I would like to remove the top hose stub from the carburetor and pull up on the filter to expose the lower end and access the hose clamp ( a worm drive style). As I said, I don't want to rip the other end off the fuel pump in the process and I don't know is if there is sufficient slack in the tubing.

John
Old 03-09-2016, 08:45 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Ah...real life vs. what is in the manual. Always looks easy in the manual. Sometimes it makes one wonder if the writer of the manual ever tried doing what they wrote about?

Hope it works out.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #7

Its almost impossible due to the limited access and blocked view. The lower hose clamp is nearly impossible to see and remove as it is below the hatch opening.
I did a one time fix for this nightmare problem. I relocated the in line filter to the outside of the Onan where it is easy to see and work on. Also prevents gas leakage where you can't see it. Now it easy to change and can use any filter you want. I also added a "T" for flushing the fuel with non ethanol fuel and Stabil stabilizer.
mikgills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:39 PM   #8
g1g
Platinum Member

Mine the view is also partially obstructed by the trailer hitch. there is no way I would be able to change it without dropping it. I had the pump go out and I ended up putting an external pump on with an inline filter before the pump outside the case.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:01 AM   #9
Silver Member

There is no secrete to doing it. It is a pita, and I wouldn't bother unless you are having a problem with it.
Caped Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Good idea adding a "T".

i have a petcock on my fuel line and now think I will add an inline fuel filter which is easy to get at.

side note- my pickup truck has used 90% costco fuel all it's life. at 140,000 miles the fuel pump needed service and when I was inside the tank I noted that there was almost no "junk" settled in there, dirt etc

the failure on the pump was/is common on the gm, not adirty fuel problem

Since the RV gets 70% costco gas ( even when traveling) I hope that the genny won;t be seeing much grit

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote