Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2019, 04:19 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Replace old drawer knobs

I’m renovating my year 2000 RT 200 Versatile and would really like to replace the gold knobs on the drawers but upon dismantling the locking box inside I’m not able to unscrew the knobs from the latching bar inside without using a wrench. Don’t want to break anything beyond repair! So before I use the wrench I was wondering if these knobs can even be removed ? Suggestions? Thanks.
Average_alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:52 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum Alice!

I don't have your model, but I'm sure someone will be along with some helpful ideas soon.

Perhaps a few pictures would help. If you need assistance, just reply back to this thread for a step-by-step guide.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #3
Silver Member

Default Photos

? Will they appear...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DC22AE64-803E-4887-9D7D-6C812AE641DA.jpg (176.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg B7113B47-A141-4147-AD06-6212330BA265.jpg (201.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average_alice View Post
? Will they appear...
Hi Alice,

I can't tell from the photo exactly what is inside the drawer, but if it lines up with the knob (as is very likely), then it is what the knob is screwed to. So loosening it by virtually any means "should" leave you with straight through hole in which you can mount the new knob. The only other thought is that it is some sort of latching mechanism in there, but then turning the knob should move it.

?????

Good luck, Dick
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:44 PM   #5
Silver Member

Thanks- That little dark metal rod on the inside of the drawer has a 90 degree bend in it and somehow is very firmly stuck in the gold knob on the other side. It might be glued, I don’t know... It’s a reliable latch most of the time. Maybe my previous owner used epoxy? It’s really on there. If I start using a pipe wrench on it the knob won’t look the same afterwards I’m sure. Spray paint might work for a year but look tacky.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:49 PM   #6
Silver Member

Success! A pipe wrench in the knob stem did the trick.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:54 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicktill View Post
Hi Alice,

I can't tell from the photo exactly what is inside the drawer, but if it lines up with the knob (as is very likely), then it is what the knob is screwed to. So loosening it by virtually any means "should" leave you with straight through hole in which you can mount the new knob. The only other thought is that it is some sort of latching mechanism in there, but then turning the knob should move it.

?????

Good luck, Dick
I zoomed and lightened the pic and agree, some thought went into what looks like a latching system. Perhaps intended to secure the drawer until a quarter-turn clockwise twist on the handle? Maybe it just got stuck. But then how did the drawer open?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (57.2 KB, 4 views)
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:16 PM   #8
Platinum Member

It is possible that manufacturer used some kind of Thread Lock one the thread. I would use a none marring pipe wrench or place 2-3 layers of ducting tape and regular pipe wrench.

It looks like you will need to use this rotating latching mechanism, most other latching knobs will very likely require different hole position.
Souhtco makes good of latches https://www.southco.com/en-us/
I like M1 series, it takes one finger to open and to close.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:26 PM   #9
Silver Member

So yes the threads looked a little pink after I got the knobs off so I assume they used thread locker? Anyway, one kind of broke on me but there was enough thread for the new knob. Maybe a RV junkyard would carry these parts ? Thanks for the tips.

Tags
drawers, knobs, latches, roadtrek