Old 12-02-2015, 06:23 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Replacement Refrigerator Options

It looks like the RM2554 5 cu ft refrigerator is failing on my 2006 RT 210P. I looked at a 2016 210P that had the Norcold DC558 compressor refrigerator, and it did not have solar which surprised me. I have considered putting solar on my unit but that is on hold for now. I asked about this refrigerator on the Roadtrek FB forum and had one favorable response on the DC588 performance. My perception of Norcold is that they are of lesser quality than Dometic but that may be an unfounded concern. So I was wondering if anyone on this forum was familiar with this Norcold refrigerator.

The other option is to replace with another Dometic, or to replace the cooling unit. I did not think the cooling unit replacement made sense, but I came across numerous very favorable reviews of the RCCoolingunit.com Amish built cooling unit. So that is another possibility.

The opinions and knowledge of those on this forum mean a lot. So I would like to hear your thoughts about these options. Thanks.

peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:02 PM   #2
Site Team

If you have the power to support it, then I wouldn't even consider anything other than a compressor fridge. We have a NovaKool RFU6800 which we love. I suspect the Norcold is comparable. Any unit with the Danfoss compressor is going to be similar. It is a little wonder.

Do watch your power budget, though. These units don't take much power, but they are relentless.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Can't speak to quality of other brands, as we have an Isotherm, but the power issue is certainly something to consider. Our 3.0cf model uses in the range of 17 to near 40ah per day. A larger unit will take proportionately more. The rule usually was for a compressor frig you would need one more battery and/or one solar panel to cover a compressor frig. That can be very inaccurate depending on how you use your rig. If you want to live off batteries for long periods without driving or running the engine you would need more of each solar and battery. If you drive every day, you wouldn't really need either, in most cases, unless you had tiny battery capacity.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:12 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I just got a price quote on the Norcold DC558 from PPL: $1800 ($2100 list). It is a new model. I got a price sheet from a RT dealer on a new 210 with the DC588 and it was not listed as an extra cost option. That tells me they are putting them in as standard equipment. So I am sure they have jacked up the base price to cover it.

Norcold priced themselves out of what I want to pay. For less than that money I could get the 6 cu ft Novakool and modify the cabinet to hold it. I doubt I will do that though.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:53 PM   #5
Platinum Member

You might be able to find a standard 110v compressor fridge and get a small inverter to run it on battery. The consumption may be a bit higher than these marine grade 12v refrigerators, but the cost would be a whole lot less.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:27 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Have you looked at this brand;

marine

I seem to be hearing a lot about them lately, but no personal experience with them.

They have regular and drawer types, it appears.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:28 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
You might be able to find a standard 110v compressor fridge and get a small inverter to run it on battery. The consumption may be a bit higher than these marine grade 12v refrigerators, but the cost would be a whole lot less.
I have considered that, but I would lose some storage capacity which would cause an issue with my wife. I'm not trying to go cheap, unless there is a good option there.

I have also considered the Vitrifrigo DP150IBD3 12 volt marine compressor fridge. It gets good reviews on the marine sites. It is about 2" narrower though. I have not been able to get a price yet.

Regarding Norcold compressor refrigerators, the West Marine site has several models, but not the DC558. They get average reviews, with many having serious reliability problems, particularly on the newer models.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:51 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I have the new Grape Solar Glacier 5. Nice size and low amp draw. Super quiet as well. I just added a simple rubber clasp to keep the door secure when traveling.

http://www.amazon.com/Grape-Solar-GS.../dp/B00HVXE154
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:03 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostalli View Post
I have the new Grape Solar Glacier 5. Nice size and low amp draw. Super quiet as well. I just added a simple rubber clasp to keep the door secure when traveling.

http://www.amazon.com/Grape-Solar-GS.../dp/B00HVXE154
I saw that one as well. I even called Grape and they said they saw no problem using in an RV environment. They said you had to leave ventilation on the sides and top. I was not sure how to keep the sides ventilated properly. It looks a bit smaller inside than the Dometic. What vehicle do you have and what fridge did you replace with the Glacier?
Old 12-03-2015, 03:18 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Try these guys.Good reputation. TruckFridge.com - Quality true 12 volt DC compressor refrigeration with freezer - Georgetown, KY Exit 129 next to Piolt Truck Center - many models to choose from.

stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote