Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2018, 08:14 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Replacement water pump

any suggestions fro a replacement water pump for a 95 Roadtrek 210; quiet would be nice. Thank you for your input
95Pop210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:58 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Most of the variable speed pumps are quiet, put they do cost upwards of $200 and could involve minor or somewhat moderate re-plumbing issues. Not a good thing when dealing with 20+ year old plumbing.

I have no direct experience with variably speed pumps, just what I've read. Reading reviews on Amazon could help but I'm sure something would hit iff'n you did a forum search.

I just installed a small pressure accumulator tank, about 24 oz capacity. This has helped the el cheapo Shurflo(four chamber) that I have to greatly reduce the aggravating cycling noise of the pump.

The tank, while not THE answer to noise, has helped with it and it should help the pump to last longer with the reduced wear on contacts and reducing battery draw as it's not stopping and starting constantly. On medium flow from the kitchen faucet it used to cycle 3-4 times to fill a six ounce cup. Now, it may or may not run but if it does, it runs longer and quieter to fill the pressure tank. I've not used it in the shower yet, but I think it will work well there.

I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Seaflo-SEAFLO...JRQ2VFTD8EJGK8

Not an exact answer but WTH.

I mounted the tank at the inlet for the toilet. I tried under the sink but the 18 year old plumbing was not cooperating and I didn't have room next to the pump without disturbing old plumbing. The threading on the tank is an exact match for the Thetford toilet so I just went to the store and bought a 20" connection hose to run from the tank to the toilet. Easy install, just make sure none of the threads get cross threaded. I pulled my toilet to make sure I had a straight shot at it. Way too easy to cross thread otherwise. Iff'n it hasn't been done for a while, combining a toilet gaskets refresh with the tank install would seem prudent

You also may want to get some extra foam for mounting the pump.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:06 PM   #3
Site Team

+1 on an accumulator. Adding one made a dramatic improvement in quietness in our rig.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:16 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I bought this Shurflo pump a couple of years ago, no need for accumulator tank, extremely quiet and reliable. It was small enough to fit the bottom cavity of the B-pillar in the Sprinter.

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-4008-...s=4008+101+e65
Attached Files
File Type: pdf New pump pds-4008-101-X65.pdf (428.1 KB, 15 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:51 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I used reinforced vinyl tubing for all my plumbing with primarily Oetiker hose clamps. The distance between the pump and the faucet is likely around 8’ and further to the shower head. The flexibility of the vinyl tubing will provide a "semi pressure buffer tank" minimizing pulsation at the sink faucet or the shower head. If your plumbing is from PEX tubing or other rigid tubing pulsation and noise could me more pronounced. In may case it is extremity quiet.
https://www.amazon.com/Maxx-Flex-153...ing+reinforced
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:50 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I used reinforced vinyl tubing for all my plumbing with primarily Oetiker hose clamps. The distance between the pump and the faucet is likely around 8’ and further to the shower head. The flexibility of the vinyl tubing will provide a "semi pressure buffer tank" minimizing pulsation at the sink faucet or the shower head. If your plumbing is from PEX tubing or other rigid tubing pulsation and noise could me more pronounced. In may case it is extremity quiet.
https://www.amazon.com/Maxx-Flex-153...ing+reinforced
I suspect you are right. I have PEX and without the accumulator there was an obnoxious pipe hammer--seemed to come from everywhere. The accumulator is an instant fix. Very easy to install when you realize that the water doesn't have to flow through the accumulator--you can just "T" it in anywhere downstream of the pump and block one side of the in/out ports. It is easy for me to imagine that a non-rigid pipe would accomplish much the same thing, although less tunable.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:21 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I agree on the accumulator. The nicest thing about it is that it reduces short cycling, especially if one has a fixed speed bump. Doesn't really need winterizing either, since when the water is out of the lines, the balloon inside expels any water in its lines.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote