Old 08-19-2019, 09:43 PM   #1
CDM

Default Resale of RV Manufactured vs. Upfitted van conversion

Currently owners of a Lance Truck Camper and Dodge 4WD diesel truck. It has served us well but as we age, we are considering moving to a Class B for numerous reasons. There are so many choices today, buying a traditional Class B, i.e. Winnebago or looking to have a van conversion company make one custom.
Assuming all things are generally equal as to the price/options on both, I am a bit concerned about resale of a van conversion. While RV manufacturers do come and go, as a prospective buyer, the unknown surrounding a Van Conversion company gives me pause. I would love to hear the forum members thoughts as to resale comparing the two. I am a new member and loving this site, many thanks.

CDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:19 PM   #2
jon
Platinum Member

The deciding factor for me wasn't resale. I bought our class B to spend family time together and i know it's a terrible financial investment.
I chose to have a conversion shop build mine because there were no RV manufacturers that built the floorplan I wanted. I'm glad i did because I fit a dinette/bed in the front and a sofa/bed in the back with a shower and kitchen in the middle into a 20ft van.
You can visit the sportsmobile website to the design your own section and play around with different vans and options until you find exactly what you want.

jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:23 PM   #3
CDM

Default Class B Resale

Thanks Jon, love the options and the work Sportsmobile does. As senior RVers, I am mindful that there will come a day when we will have to hang up our keys, hopefully not for many years. But the financial commitment is significant, hence my worry. I appreciate your response.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:46 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum CDM!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:49 PM   #5
Platinum Member

A couple thoughts. Having one designed specifically for you is the advantage of a conversion. But the fact that you can't find one from a major manufacturer that meets your needs may indicate your needs aren't typical. So the used market for your unique features may not be very large.

Most of your resale value is going to be lost the day you drive it off the lot. So, while a major manufacture model may have some advantages in the resale market, you are probably talking about a marginal difference. If you decide to go the upfitter route, I would pay attention to the chassis and component manufacturers. Those become your "brand" when you are reselling.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:02 AM   #6
CDM

Thanks for the welcome and great perspective. I am leaning toward a Travato but then looking at the custom options, my head starts to spin with all the choices and great materials. Budget will likely result in buying something used unless I can convince my husband to get a part time job. Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:30 AM   #7
Platinum Member

"Budget will likely result in buying something used"

In that case it probably doesn't matter. You should both pay less and re-sell for less. But I don't think a used upfitter will drop in price significantly faster than a used Travato.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:46 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Default There's a lot of choices; no question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
Thanks for the welcome and great perspective. I am leaning toward a Travato but then looking at the custom options, my head starts to spin with all the choices and great materials. Budget will likely result in buying something used unless I can convince my husband to get a part time job. Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.
Be careful not to make any hasty decisions... and right now you're in a good place for negotiation.....RV sales are down and the Internet is littered with articles about this and the predicted recession.

My advice to you is purchase used and pay cash... there's a tremendous amount of money being made on the financing for RVs... and they are a huge depreciating asset.... just buying one and letting it sit or with very few annual miles... loses $5,000 or more per year....new ones can lose $10,000 per year...

Now.. the good news... they are a lot of fun... try to rent one first....

Here's the thing..... what do you want to do.....

We love to tour and when we take our rig we usually travel thousands of miles away.... therefore, if fuel efficiency is paramount, consider a diesel engine.....We recently returned from a trip and covered over 2,100 miles and only used $345 in fuel.....

You might not think about how much fuel you use on a daily basis, but, over the lifetime of ownership.. fuel is the most expensive thing you're going to see.....it adds up very quickly.....

And, I know, some people may say... yeah, but, the maintenance on the diesel is a lot.... it's more expensive, yes, but, the service intervals are longer.... and the engines are more long lasting..... again.. some people won't believe this... unfortunately...... I've known people who easily went 500,000 miles on their diesel......

And, the resale value is higher on the diesel......

All boils down to what you want..... test drive a lot of them, you'll figure out what you like.....

Good luck......
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:02 AM   #9
CDM

Default RV Resale

Just what I was looking for- different perspectives to aid with this complex yet exciting purchase. As an owner of a diesel truck, my husband is a firm believer in that as a fuel option. Thanks again to all for your insight.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:03 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Default Please remember this important point

Resale value is only important when you want to sell.

If you plan on keeping your RV long term....it doesn't matter what the price or depreciation schedule is...

Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class b resale