Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default resale values -- moved from a "For Sale" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai4020 View Post
2016 Roadtrek 190 Popular on Chevrolet Express 3500, 27,000 Miles, both factory warranties apply. I am the original owner and have maintained my van meticulously with all maintenance receipts. Major options include the EcoTrek 400 AMP hr lithium power modules, 200 W solar, Onan MicroLite (2.8 kW) generator, and factory screens for side and rear cargo doors. Many other options. Charcoal grey ext/tan leather int. Everything works and is ready to use. $80,000. Located in AZ. Call 781–789–0632 and please leave a message.
While Class B's are so seemingly popular with people right now...it's a startingly fact that once a rig is sold brand new...the price and value drops precipitously.....

It's always about years not mileage.....

Just sent you a PM....

I doubt it's possible to get what you're asking for.... even with the options ...

This... unfortunately is what happens when you purchase new.... In five years.... they lose one half of their value ......

Unless you have to sell it for other reasons????
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
While Class B's are so seemingly popular with people right now...it's a startingly fact that once a rig is sold brand new...the price and value drops precipitously.....

It's always about years not mileage.....

Just sent you a PM....

I doubt it's possible to get what you're asking for.... even with the options ...

This... unfortunately is what happens when you purchase new.... In five years.... they lose one half of their value ......

Unless you have to sell it for other reasons????

I guess I would put the price as a very reasonable starting point, based on what I see on ebay and dealer sites. Fairly low mileage, just coming up on 3 years old, decently optioned, popular color.

Most Roadtreks will not be down 50% at 5 years unless they started as the very high price models, I think.

How much did you pay and how many years old was yours when you got it? What % per year off MSRP?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:59 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Most Roadtreks will not be down 50% at 5 years unless they started as the very high price models, I think.
I agree. Not even close. When I sold our 10 year old Airstream Interstate, we got around 68% of our purchase price. Also, it is NOT "always about years not miles."

I really wish folks would stop repeating the same unsupported claims over and over again as if they were established facts. It does not serve future readers well.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:07 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I really wish folks would stop repeating the same unsupported claims over and over again as if they were established facts. It does not serve future readers well.

How many thumbs up will the forum allow me to put on?

:thum bup:: thumbup:
Old 12-20-2018, 06:20 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Arithmetic....there's actual links to this ...

Quote:
I agree. Not even close. When I sold our 10 year old Airstream Interstate, we got around 68% of our purchase price. Also, it is NOT "always about years not miles."

Sorry Avanti, you want facts.... here they are,

Here's a profile of a 10 year old 2009 Airstream Interstate.... not 68 percent... it seems as though past 5 years the RV's do depreciate more slowly which is a good thing....

It's NEVER a good idea to purchase something and turn it around.... vehicles depreciate very quickly when new.... they DO NOT appreciate. 68 percent of value is more like what a dealer might get....?

I will say that in the case of the Airstream Interstate and Roadtrek RS... the price of a brand new unit has increased greatly over the past few years... new ones are in the $150,000 range...much more expensive than a new Chevy.

If you got 68 percent...you were extremely lucky, take a look at this...
more like about 60 percent of value in every case at 10 years --- see this comparison, I'm saying 50 to 60 percent in real sales situations ...dealerships always can sell for more than a private party sale.

2009 Airstream Interstate

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2009/...3051801/Values

2009 Roadtrek RS Adventurous

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2009/...3052093/Values

2009 Roadtrek Popular 190

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2009/...3052087/Values
__________________________________________________ ___________

Also, the sales price of these units are vastly different based on the inflated price in 2019 dollars...

The same cannot be said about a 2019 Roadtrek Popular 190... still around the same price, $116,000...look at the difference between these numbers below, the Mercedes models greatly increased in price...

Current 2019 Roadtrek Popular 190 - still about the same price as the 2016 was...

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2019/...6583255/Values

Older 2016 Roadtrek Popular 190 at same retail price around $116,000

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2016/...6550908/Values

Compared to this.....prices of comparably equipped newer Mercedes models have increased a substantially more..

Current 2019 Roadtrek RS Adventurous - now have increased to the $150,000 range …

My 2012 vehicle comparably equipped and purchased 5 years old was $79,000 and the 2017 model was priced at $152,000 at the dealership. I actually went down and looked at them. My vehicle had 26,000 miles....so, I got my 2012 RS for a 48 percent discount off the current price....

You think I got a good deal??? I think I did... and I was lucky to find it.

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2019/...6583265/Values

2019 Airstreams

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2019/...6583223/Values

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2019/...6583228/Values
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:32 PM   #6
Bud
Platinum Member

"You think I got a good deal??? I think I did... and I was lucky to find it."

Sad, someone comes along to post about a nice b for sale, yet 'HE'S' back making that person's post about HIMSELF. It happens AGAIN and AGAIN. OVER and OVER which is ............

Problem for the op and other op's is that it takes away from others, this nice b for sale.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:46 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Only someone trying to prove a stupid point, or a crooked dealer, would calculate the "depreciation" of a 5 year+ old unit by comparing the used selling price with a current model new MSRP.

DEPRECIATION IS CALCULATED BASED ON WHAT YOU BOUGHT IT FOR COMPARED TO WHAT YOU SOLD IT FOR AND HAS NOTHING, REPEAT NOTHING, TO DO WITH CURRENT NEW PRICES.

A 2011 would be what the actual selling price, not MSRP, was when it sold vs what you pay for it at later time like 2017. This is pretty simple to understand, but I am sure it won't be understood.

Also, NADA, is not an accurate predictor of what class b's sell for and never was that I know of.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:42 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I was curious so I checked NADA on my 2006 Roadtrek 210P. I was shocked at the high value they put on it. I recall checking a few years ago and thought the value was much lower than it is now. SO maybe NADA is switching to more of a market value approach rather than a straight percentage depreciation which is what they used to do I think.

I am the 2nd owner but I think the original owner paid about $75,000.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2006 Roadtrek Values NADA, 20181220.png (86.1 KB, 10 views)
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:22 PM   #9
Silver Member

Quote:
I agree. Not even close.

Further to multiple complaints about the same individual who pollutes treads by trying to convince himself that mileage is not important, that buying used is the only way to go, that diesel is better in any situation, being lucky to have found such a deal, and on and on and on . Is this trolling? Can such repeated false claims end up in having someone banned from a forum? This reminds me about false news. So sad this forum is polluted.
Paul the Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:16 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
DEPRECIATION IS CALCULATED BASED ON WHAT YOU BOUGHT IT FOR COMPARED TO WHAT YOU SOLD IT FOR

... AND HAS NOTHING, REPEAT NOTHING, TO DO WITH CURRENT NEW PRICES.

The first part of that statement is true, the second part really isn't. How the market prices an RV will depend in part on what a new one costs. In fact, that will be a much larger factor in determining the current price than the original sale price. So current new prices have a LOT to do with depreciation.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:28 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
The first part of that statement is true, the second part really isn't. How the market prices an RV will depend in part on what a new one costs. In fact, that will be a much larger factor in determining the current price than the original sale price. So current new prices have a LOT to do with depreciation.
I think he was talking about how you CALCULATE depreciation, not how much there might be.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:55 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Default Low Mileage Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
I was curious so I checked NADA on my 2006 Roadtrek 210P.
Out of curiosity, I ran that same search with only 50,000 miles, that ADDS +$6,035/+$7,276 to the base prices. 125,000 miles reduces the value by 3% (-$1,065/-$1,284) from base value. So mileage matters.

What is interesting is that over 150,000 miles there is no change from the base, for mileage impact it just says NA. I would guess that NA means information is "not available" to make the adjustment so maybe they don't have enough sales with that high mileage.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:58 PM   #13
Platinum Member

That's why the first part is true ...
Old 12-27-2018, 07:13 PM   #14
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post

Sad, someone comes along to post about a nice b for sale, yet 'HE'S' back making that person's post about HIMSELF. It happens AGAIN and AGAIN. OVER and OVER which is ............

Problem for the op and other op's is that it takes away from others, this nice b for sale.

Bud
I agree this is a disservice to the op who has a nice B for sale, and, unfortunately we have seen it before from this source.

I think if having so much money tied up in a camper with such great depreciation is so troubling for HIM, HE may be better off with another hobby.... perhaps Golf beckons?

Dave
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:42 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think he was talking about how you CALCULATE depreciation, not how much there might be.

That is exactly what I was talking about. The depreciation of any given van is what you it cost to buy, minus what it brings when sold. That is all it means. How the selling price is determined has many factors including current pricing of comparable models, inflation, whatever.

The major point of the original post was that a member was using current MSRP minus 5 year old selling price to determine the depreciation of the 5 year old van, which is just so far out of line it is crazy.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:59 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Depreciation on class B's is much slower than on autos and they are a hot item right now. I'd look for ~80% of MSRP in current market, which is probably about what you paid for it back then, so ask a bit more in your ads.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:10 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belzar View Post
Depreciation on class B's is much slower than on autos and they are a hot item right now. I'd look for ~80% of MSRP in current market, which is probably about what you paid for it back then, so ask a bit more in your ads.

We didn't even pay 80% of MSRP when we bought our Roadtrek brand new
Old 12-27-2018, 08:23 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Yup. Dealers were "dealing" back then on class B's, even on factory orders, and RT corporate even occasionally offered some nice direct-to-consumer incentives. Such good deals are scarcer now. I regularly see my CS priced used for more than I paid new.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:55 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
The major point of the original post was that a member was using current MSRP minus 5 year old selling price to determine the depreciation of the 5 year old van, which is just so far out of line it is crazy.
Actually I don't see that as his point. I thought his point was that his used version was much cheaper than a new one. Which is certainly a completely legitimate comparison that we made when buying ours. Although for us it was that we could get a lot more used than we could buying new at the same price.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:51 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
Actually I don't see that as his point. I thought his point was that his used version was much cheaper than a new one. Which is certainly a completely legitimate comparison that we made when buying ours. Although for us it was that we could get a lot more used than we could buying new at the same price.

That is the point he got to after a while. He began by claiming a 50% depreciation at 5 years for class B's, and then when shown they weren't even that far at 10 years, switched to using only NADA data, not Avanti's actual pricing and selling to make it look close to what he claimed at 5 years. Then he started talking about how far down the used ones were at 10 years compared to current new prices because it made it look closer the 50% depreciation he claimed, wrongly, initially. Then he got to the numbers on his purchase being a percent of current selling price. Of course all the many thousands of dollars he had to put into the used one he bought were not counted in his "saving" calculations.

This same tired argument has been repeated here many times, over and over again, so many of us have grown very weary of it.

Nobody here would say that comparing new to used is a bad comparison for folks to do, as long as they get what they are comfortable with. Some are very willing to pay for new for various reasons, some choose not to buy new for various reasons or just to save some cash. Nothing wrong with any way.