Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2015, 01:01 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Roadside Assistance

There are several good topics about the various Roadside Assistance services for Class B RV's. Coach-Net, Good Sam, AAA etc. are mentioned often. I just looked at what AARP offers through Allstate. Whatever you pick make sure it includes RV's before you buy it. Also, check to see what service if any comes included with a new vehicle.

Another option is to check what your credit card company offers. I was looking through the services offered on my credit card and see that they include a referral service for roadside assistance on the card. It gives you a phone number to call if Roadside Assistance services are needed. On my card, it doesn't cover any of the costs associated with the service call. I'd have to pay all costs - no reimbursement. If you are willing and able to handle some roadside repairs on your own then it is an option to consider.

This pay when you need it type service would also be a good backup phone number if your other Roadside Assistance service can't help you for some reason.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Default Re: Roadside Assistance

Good summary. A few more thoughts:
1) Check to see what coverage you may have from your vehicle's manufacturer. For example, if you own any Mercedes vehicle that is covered with ANY Mercedes warranty, you have free roadside assistance.
2) Note that Good Sam (like AARP) is simply a reseller of Allstate.
3) In calculating the costs and risks of pay-as-you go, be sure to consider the worst-case scenarios (and their likelihood). For example, if you own a Sprinter and drive out west, you could well be facing a VERY long tow under not overly unlikely scenarios, since dealers are often necessary and are few and far between in certain areas.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:37 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Good info

I should also add that many Roadside Assistance plans cover all of your passenger vehicles or sometimes even any vehicle you or your spouse are driving. Availability of that extension of coverage will vary between plans and service providers. There's value in that for sure.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
I should also add that many Roadside Assistance plans cover all of your passenger vehicles or sometimes even any vehicle you or your spouse are driving. Availability of that extension of coverage will vary between plans and service providers. There's value in that for sure.
Yes, indeed. The best of these policies are redundant with AAA, allowing you to drop it. And, you should, since their RV coverage is expensive and not very good. I won't mention their politics.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:15 PM   #5
Platinum Member

...and coverage area...if you cross Borders, make sure your coverage will too.

this is a topic on motorcycle forums- and it seems that some plans ( AAA for one) may cover motorcycles in some States, but not others

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote