Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolfsohn View Post
I've been dropping in a some other forums... lots of horror stories and good outcomes for all the different vendors. including coach-net, AAA, good sam and others...

Is there anyone who carries multiple roadside-assistance policies ? has it helped in a specific instance ?
The thing to understand about this industry is that NONE of the insurers actually operates a network of service trucks. Their call centers are all just logistics services that locate local resources on your behalf. This means that the guy that shows up is drawn from exactly the same pool of providers no matter whom you use for your coverage. In a rural location, that pool can be very small. So, a horror story about the service itself has limited value in selecting among an insurer.

Pretty much all you can do when selecting is to look at (a) their coverage, (b) the quality of their call center, and (c) how readily and consistently they process their claims.

To me, by far the most important thing is the towing coverage. I would not consider one that had a milage or number of tows limit.

I had duplicate coverage for the duration of my MB OEM warranty, since I needed Coach-net for my other vehicles anyway, to the extra RV coverage was essentially free.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
The thing to understand about this industry is that NONE of the insurers actually operates a network of service trucks. Their call centers are all just logistics services that locate local resources on your behalf. This means that the guy that shows up is drawn from exactly the same pool of providers no matter whom you use for your coverage. In a rural location, that pool can be very small. So, a horror story about the service itself has limited value in selecting among an insurer.

Pretty much all you can do when selecting is to look at (a) their coverage, (b) the quality of their call center, and (c) how readily and consistently they process their claims.

To me, by far the most important thing is the towing coverage. I would not consider one that had a milage or number of tows limit.

I had duplicate coverage for the duration of my MB OEM warranty, since I needed Coach-net for my other vehicles anyway, to the extra RV coverage was essentially free.

That brings up a very interesting point, and may be something that shows up a semi-major difference between plans.

As Avanti said, they all use local tow companies, so that is mostly equal with the exception of what companies they use and their related response time and quality.

We have no experience with any other than State Farm, so I can only go by what others have said about the roadside assistant company ordering the tow and sending it to you. This has them choosing the tow company for you, which may or may not be the best option at any given time.

What State Farm does, we have used it twice which confirmed it (both times with cars), is to just let you call any tow company you can find locally, pay for it yourself, and then we just dropped the receipt off at our agents office. State Farm sent a check in a very short time.

While this does require you to have funds that you can stand to have tied up for a while, it does really increase the flexibility of being able to find someone that could handle a class b, probably a flat bed, and also call multiple places to find one that can get to you sooner. We often have heard of the roadside assistance companies sending trucks that aren't up to the task of hauling a class b, generating a conflict to get the right truck out. If you set it up yourself, tell them what you need, and they send a wrong truck, you can just send them on their way and call someone else.

How do all the other plans handle the actual tow company selection?

I do know that here in Minneapolis area, when we get a really cold snap, the TV stations list estimated wait times for a jump start. The used to often list two times, one for general find your own service, and one for AAA. Often times the AAA times were many hours further out because there were fewer AAA vendors and those they had would often take the normal, non AAA, calls first because the payment was higher than AAA paid. You don't hear them tell both times anymore, probably because AAA complained, I would think.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:13 PM   #43

Default AAA Premiere RV is what you need 200 miles tow free

AAA Premiere RV is what you need , if you can't get Premiere the first year get the gold its good for 100 mile tow .AAA is what everyone needs when traveling no out of pocket cost except tolls .
thinkgreengotankless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:29 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Default OK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkgreengotankless View Post
AAA Premiere RV is what you need , if you can't get Premiere the first year get the gold its good for 100 mile tow .AAA is what everyone needs when traveling no out of pocket cost except tolls .

I have AAA Premier RV..... are you saying it's more than 100 miles?
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:42 PM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Have you read this thread?
Old 08-26-2018, 10:47 PM   #46
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We have ours through State Farm on the vehicle insurance policies, quite inexpensive. Have use it twice in about 40 years, both times local.

My agent says full country coverage is good, (of course he does) and all you do is call the main office, or his to facilitate a tow.
We have State Farm's roadside package attached to our 3 passenger vehicle and 1 RV, and it is quite reasonably priced. I had to use it on my passenger vehicle once, and other than having to wait an hour or so for the tow truck (I was up in a nearby mountain canyon), it worked flawlessly.
2002 Keystone Cougar 28BH
davedutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:59 PM   #47
Site Team

Yes, the coverage that is bundled with your insurance is often very reasonably priced. Just read the fine print to make sure you are getting the coverage that you need. Also, remember that these coverages are often attached to the vehicle, whereas the RV-specific ones are often attached to the driver. Read carefully. Don't make assumptions.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:14 PM   #48

I agree 100%! I have had AAA coverage for many different campers, vans, RVs for over 40 years. I live in the west where distances between cities can be far. AAA has towed me several times over the years from the mountains to Denver. One time it too a flatbed to carry our dead mini van and pop up. Sure I would like to pay less but I’ve traveled and lived all over the country with AAA. It really gives me piece of mind.
nnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:06 AM   #49
Platinum Member

Default No argument here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnewman View Post
I agree 100%! I have had AAA coverage for many different campers, vans, RVs for over 40 years. I live in the west where distances between cities can be far. AAA has towed me several times over the years from the mountains to Denver. One time it too a flatbed to carry our dead mini van and pop up. Sure I would like to pay less but I’ve traveled and lived all over the country with AAA. It really gives me piece of mind.
I'm a 38 year member..... I think that AAA is great.....
Old 08-27-2018, 02:13 AM   #50

Default AAA Premiere RV is what you need 200 miles tow free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
I have AAA Premier RV..... are you saying it's more than 100 miles?
Yes your first tow is good for 200 Mile and only 100 Miles Nice to have when you live in CA where many times your just out on a day trip .
Old 08-27-2018, 02:17 AM   #51
Site Team

Quote:
Yes your first tow is good for 200 Mile and only 100 Miles Nice to have when you live in CA where many times your just out on a day trip .
Please see message #28 above:

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...html#post79277

Did we all just totally waste our time contributing to this thread?
Old 08-27-2018, 02:18 AM   #52
Platinum Member

Default I'm going to go and check it out at my local AAA office

Quote:
I'll let you know.....
Old 08-27-2018, 02:20 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
I'm a 38 year member..... I think that AAA is great.....
Premier Benefits
AAA Premier Membership is much more than extended towing. We invite you to experience all the ways this exclusive membership can save you time and money – and give you added peace of mind.

AAA Premier Members will receive a coupon saving them up to $50 off any class Hertz Rental Car and a AAA discount too.

Below, you will find a description of our enhanced package of value–added services and benefits, with details on how to enjoy them.

Click the title to expand
Roadside
Assistance

Specialty
Services

Travel
Services

Auto
Services

Services

In addition to our standard roadside assistance benefits, AAA premier members also receive:

200 Mile Tow – Premier members receive one 200 mile tow per household per membership year, and three additional 100 mile tows to the destination of your choice. If you frequently travel, this 200 mile tow can prove to be invaluable in the case of a breakdown.

Fuel Delivery Service – An emergency supply of fuel will be delivered to your disabled vehicle to help you reach the nearest service station. Premier members are provided the fuel free of charge.

One Day Complimentary Rental Car – If your vehicle requires towing, AAA will reimburse the Premier member for a one day car rental (up to a full size vehicle) per household, once per membership year, inclusive of service fees and taxes. Coverage applies when the member's car is inoperable in conjunction with a non-collision covered towing event. Need a car rental reservation and/or reimbursement form? Call 1-800-622-9211.

Trip Interruption & Vehicle Return – AAA Premier Members have added peace of mind when driving 100 miles or more from home. If you are driving or riding in a AAA-qualifying vehicle which becomes inoperable as a result of a traffic accident (not mechanical failure), or your vehicle is stolen, you may receive a reimbursement for up to $1,500 of your covered unexpected out-of-pocket expenses incurred during the first 96 hours immediately following the accident/theft. These expenses include:

Car rental (excluding gas, insurance and drop or one way fees)
Meals and lodging in the vicinity of the incident (within a 25 mile radius)
Commercial transportation from the location of the incident to your destination or current residence.
You can also be reimbursed up to $500 to help you get your car back home if an unexpected illness or injury prevents you from completing your trip.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:24 AM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
Premier Benefits
AAA Premier Membership is much more than extended towing. We invite you to experience all the ways this exclusive membership can save you time and money – and give you added peace of mind.

AAA Premier Members will receive a coupon saving them up to $50 off any class Hertz Rental Car and a AAA discount too.

Below, you will find a description of our enhanced package of value–added services and benefits, with details on how to enjoy them.

Click the title to expand
Roadside
Assistance

Specialty
Services

Travel
Services

Auto
Services

Services

In addition to our standard roadside assistance benefits, AAA premier members also receive:

200 Mile Tow – Premier members receive one 200 mile tow per household per membership year, and three additional 100 mile tows to the destination of your choice. If you frequently travel, this 200 mile tow can prove to be invaluable in the case of a breakdown.

Fuel Delivery Service – An emergency supply of fuel will be delivered to your disabled vehicle to help you reach the nearest service station. Premier members are provided the fuel free of charge.

One Day Complimentary Rental Car – If your vehicle requires towing, AAA will reimburse the Premier member for a one day car rental (up to a full size vehicle) per household, once per membership year, inclusive of service fees and taxes. Coverage applies when the member's car is inoperable in conjunction with a non-collision covered towing event. Need a car rental reservation and/or reimbursement form? Call 1-800-622-9211.

Trip Interruption & Vehicle Return – AAA Premier Members have added peace of mind when driving 100 miles or more from home. If you are driving or riding in a AAA-qualifying vehicle which becomes inoperable as a result of a traffic accident (not mechanical failure), or your vehicle is stolen, you may receive a reimbursement for up to $1,500 of your covered unexpected out-of-pocket expenses incurred during the first 96 hours immediately following the accident/theft. These expenses include:

Car rental (excluding gas, insurance and drop or one way fees)
Meals and lodging in the vicinity of the incident (within a 25 mile radius)
Commercial transportation from the location of the incident to your destination or current residence.
You can also be reimbursed up to $500 to help you get your car back home if an unexpected illness or injury prevents you from completing your trip.

Note to future readers of this thread:
The above information is contradicted by documented links earlier in this thread. The poster is confusing AAA Premier with AAA Premier RV.
Please be sure to read the entire thread before making your decision.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:15 AM   #55
Platinum Member

Default Stay tuned for more information later....on the AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Note to future readers of this thread:
The above information is contradicted by documented links earlier in this thread. The poster is confusing AAA Premier with AAA Premier RV.
Please be sure to read the entire thread before making your decision.

Avanti, if you think this is confusing....read this article and and see the excerpt from below.....

I spent 90 minutes on the phone with AAA today...they kept contradicting each other with several people I talked with......

One person in roadside assistance said...if your vehicle is registered as an automobile, it's eligible for a 200 mile tow.... I then asked them to send the an email confirmation... they stammered and transferred me to another agent who said "oh, it's a conversion??? If it is we can't tow it more than 100 miles...it is an RV.... basically was saying we don't care what you did on the inside...it's not a cargo van if it has a bed, kitchen and bathroom.....

Doesn't matter that it's still the same physical dimensions outside......WTF.....

Anyway, I've escalated the case and am expecting a call from an someone in upper management....soon.. I'll keep you posted......

In the meantime, you've given me something to consider for next year......

By the way, just to set the record straight...... here's the thing on the RV services.....and you can take this to the bank....

It's definitely true that not all states offer the RV service, BUT.... and this is very important...
If you purchased RV service like I did in California, then the local AAA office has to recognize and assist you... they cannot deny you service......

So, when you said that AAA RV service is not available in all 50 states... that was only true to the extent that it's not offered everywhere.......

RV service along with AAA service is available in all 50 states and Canada.....

I'm going to investigate Coach Net..... what I'd really like to know is ...

What's their response times?
How do you get map service?
What about DMV car registration??? I think you said you could go to the AAA and pay them something extra??? What do you tell them?? Especially if you are not a member?

https://rvtravel.com/roadside-assist...which-is-best/

For RVers, a better but more expensive option is AAA Plus and AAA Plus RV, which provide a tow of up to 100 miles. For even better service, with AAA Premier and AAA Premier RV the tow range is 200 miles, with an additional towed vehicle included at no extra charge. AAA rates vary depending upon where you live.