Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Roadtrek 190 opinions-tire carrier

We'll just to make my choices harder-Roadtrek informed me on Monday that the 190p can now be had with the compressor refigerator that is in the ranger.

the compressor fridge was a big reason i was going with the ranger-now i have a choice.

However if i want the 190 I cannot put the tire under the van like the Ranger. the rear propane tankof the 190 prevents it.

so-is the continental tire carrier actually any kind of an issue.

does anyone use it as a table? as a small grill stand using the BBQ quick connect in rear of 190.

just wondering.

choices-damn.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Roadtrek 190 opinions-tire carrier

The drop down tire carrier that can be used as a table was first done by Leisure Travel Vans on the Free Spirit models from a customer suggestion. They simply put a flat surface cover on (between van and tire side.) Cool idea but maybe not ideal in a campground situation. It would probably be cooler if you use your B to tailgate at games and such. If it were on the passenger side door it would be closer to your camping setup but that is not desirable since you would have to always drop the tire to open a door. Disadvantages to be aware of is you have to drop the tire to open the driver side door. You may have to extend anything you might want to carry on your hitch receiver.

I thought you were looking into an E-Trek package. Were you getting propane on a Ranger?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
The drop down tire carrier that can be used as a table was first done by Leisure Travel Vans on the Free Spirit models from a customer suggestion. They simply put a flat surface cover on (between van and tire side.) Cool idea but maybe not ideal in a campground situation. It would probably be cooler if you use your B to tailgate at games and such. If it were on the passenger side door it would be closer to your camping setup but that is not desirable since you would have to always drop the tire to open a door. Disadvantages to be aware of is you have to drop the tire to open the driver side door. You may have to extend anything you might want to carry on your hitch receiver.

I thought you were looking into an E-Trek package. Were you getting propane on a Ranger?

originally it was the ranger. then i decided to look at CS with e-trek package. for a lot of reasons i decided against it.

my actual first choice was a van that combined Ranger and 190 components. they are not exactly the same and the ranger was the closest.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Booster-i saw on a post that you had the 190 with armoire. how is it with the armoire. also do you have rear tire carrier?
Old 09-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We had the armoire option in our 2004 190P. Back then it was a permanent change, I don't know if it is removable in newer models. It was very handy to have for additional storage. We didn't need the 3rd seat when we bought the RV. However, the lack of a third seat became a factor for us in deciding to get a larger RV in 2006. We wanted a unit that allowed for seating a another person for day trips and touring trips.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Marko-what about the tire carrier. that's actually a bigger issue for me.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Tire carrier was ok. The new ones have a lift assistance feature which is handy. A swing-away carrier would would be better IMO. Even better if it worked automatically with the door opening and closing. I never used the drop down spare tire carrier for a table that I recall. Mike's carries his spare in the rear of his 190P. It is on the passenger side.

My current van has the spare in the GM factory position under the van. My only complaint with that position is that I have to scoot under the van to check the air pressure occasionally.

Surco http://www.surcoinc.com/ makes a spare tire carrier for the rear door. The spare is very heavy though. I don't know if it would affect the door operation.

You'd have to make sure it fits newer vans with hidden hinges and if it affects the Chevy warranty before buying it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Surco tire carrier.JPG (35.1 KB, 550 views)
Old 09-30-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I guess i'm not making myself clear. Roadtrek uses a hitch tire carrier behind the drivers side door and it does have a lift assist mechanism. my question is is there any downsides to using this. does anybody have any issues with this carrier anf the extra length it gives
Old 09-30-2014, 09:54 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Extra length was not an issue for me.
Someone who has an RT with the new lift assist mechanism will be able to comment on how it works, any issues etc.

You can see the spare tire carrier in this video at around the 11 minute mark:

[youtube:218n2hb2]21EddNySvCI[/youtube:218n2hb2]

You still have to handle it to access the rear storage. Imagine it full of road grime / dirt and/or wet conditions etc. That's why I wish they had a swing-away option and thought it worth mentioning.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:19 PM   #10
Platinum Member

My vote is for the spare tire carrier. If you need it you will be glad you don't have to grovel around under the van to get it. I have never heard of anyone complaining about one. On a different note. Missed you Marko. Hope you went some place cool.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Thanks Stan - I wasn't away for long, made it to Nova Scotia. I have to sort through all the photos and should have some to post. Booster's the guy that is still on the road and Mike was on another trip but might be back home now. AK49er is on a big trip.

You mentioned the spare tire up underneath the van. I've done the lower it, get it out and put it back. All done on my garage floor......... I would not want to have to do it while parked on the road shoulder or at night etc., so you're right on about any carrier making that job a bit easier.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:47 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
I guess i'm not making myself clear. Roadtrek uses a hitch tire carrier behind the drivers side door and it does have a lift assist mechanism. my question is is there any downsides to using this. does anybody have any issues with this carrier anf the extra length it gives
Gerry,

We have an RT09/10C190P, and it came with the spare tire on the so-called "continental spare tire carrier". In this configuration, there are three "problems":
1) Slight increase in length, perhaps 8"; this turns out to be a minor problem to us.
2) It blocks "easy" access to the left-rear door; it needs to be "dropped" to access the door.
3) In the original configuration, "dropping" the spare tire (and raising it back up) is a bit of a grunt thing (we're talking about lifting about 75 pounds).
We modified the original configuration by adding the Ezee-Lift kit; wow, what a difference this makes! (and it makes items #2 & 3 above into minor problems) Roadtrek later came out with their own version of the Ezee-Lift. I've only seen/tried one, and wasn't very impressed: if you can buy the camper with the original continental kit and add the Ezee-Lift (rather than buying with RT's version), I think you'd be better off. Not sure if this is an option or not.

If the spare tire were "somewhere else", sure it would be nicer, but we don't consider it a "show-stopper".

Regards, Dick

P.S.: Jim Lever (aka Booster) went a step further. He adapted a pneumatic cylinder with parts of the Ezee-Lift, and he and Sue merely have to push a button to lower and raise the spare (I assume there is still some sort of hitch pin to lock it in the up position). Very slick.
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #13
Platinum Member

After watching the video it seems easy enough to raise and lower the spring loaded tire carrier. If you have to have one I would think that would be the way to go. They didn't show a built in smooth table top like LTV uses but that might be something you could do after market if they don't have one.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicktill
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
Gerry,

We have an RT09/10C190P, and it came with the spare tire on the so-called "continental spare tire carrier". In this configuration, there are three "problems":
1) Slight increase in length, perhaps 8"; this turns out to be a minor problem to us.
2) It blocks "easy" access to the left-rear door; it needs to be "dropped" to access the door.
3) In the original configuration, "dropping" the spare tire (and raising it back up) is a bit of a grunt thing (we're talking about lifting about 75 pounds).
We modified the original configuration by adding the Ezee-Lift kit; wow, what a difference this makes! (and it makes items #2 & 3 above into minor problems) Roadtrek later came out with their own version of the Ezee-Lift. I've only seen/tried one, and wasn't very impressed: if you can buy the camper with the original continental kit and add the Ezee-Lift (rather than buying with RT's version), I think you'd be better off. Not sure if this is an option or not.

If the spare tire were "somewhere else", sure it would be nicer, but we don't consider it a "show-stopper".

Regards, Dick

P.S.: Jim Lever (aka Booster) went a step further. He adapted a pneumatic cylinder with parts of the Ezee-Lift, and he and Sue merely have to push a button to lower and raise the spare (I assume there is still some sort of hitch pin to lock it in the up position). Very slick.

thanks-this started out because i was going to get a ranger-which has the tire under van( i wanted compressor fridge). now roadtrek says i can special order compressor fridge on 190. however 190 has propane tank on back so still no tire underneath. i like the 190 better so i will probably go this way. your info was very helpful p.s. roadtrek now has the spring lift included
Old 10-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Gerry,

Is it possible to eliminate the generator, put the spare under in a 190 and install an E-Trek package?
Old 10-01-2014, 10:00 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Gerry,

Is it possible to eliminate the generator, put the spare under in a 190 and install an E-Trek package?
Davydd- i'm not getting an onan. i'm getting the engine generator,4 batteries,solar panels,2500 watt inverter. the full e-trek package is only available on the 23 foot and bigger sprinters.

however on the 190 even if yoy don't get the onan the propane tank is across the backend(the 190 has always had the propane tank there). because of this tank you can't have the tire underneath. The ranger has a side propane tank so the tire can go underneath.

Roadtrek says they will not move the propane tank on 190. they will however now give it a compressor fridge if ordered-no other changes
Old 10-01-2014, 11:37 PM   #17
Platinum Member

We have the armoire, and really like it, as it adds a lot of useful storage in an easy to access spot. Only downsides are the loss of the third seat, obviously, and you lose the visibility of the second door window.

The tire carrier is fie for us. Without assist, it is very heavy, but the spring assists work well, I have heard. I modified ours to be air powered, which is even easier. I agree with Marko that swing away would probably be better by a bit, but you would lose using the tire for a table, which is actually pretty handy.

Have you looked at the anniversary addition? The pix I saw had no tire in the back, propane in the side pod, etc.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:05 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
We have the armoire, and really like it, as it adds a lot of useful storage in an easy to access spot. Only downsides are the loss of the third seat, obviously, and you lose the visibility of the second door window.

The tire carrier is fie for us. Without assist, it is very heavy, but the spring assists work well, I have heard. I modified ours to be air powered, which is even easier. I agree with Marko that swing away would probably be better by a bit, but you would lose using the tire for a table, which is actually pretty handy.

Have you looked at the anniversary addition? The pix I saw had no tire in the back, propane in the side pod, etc.

the anniversary edition is a cross between the ranger and 190. i talked to roadtrek. i would have to get the ALDE and the fixed bathroom. i wanted the original 190 aisle bath and fixed dinette and armoire. Roadtrek said get anniversary edition as is no ther changes or compressor on 190.

they will work with you but only to a degree-they are not sportsmobile.