Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2018, 04:17 PM   #1

Default roadtrek 200 water ?

I bought a 2001 roadtrek 200( chevy expressvan) from a 96 year old original owner. Toilet still had it's original seal and all the appliances look new( the van has 87,000 miles). He used it to trek across the country to see his daughter a couple of times a year. After replacing the battery from 2001! and filling up propane everything seems to work minus water. I refilled water to the max, and I can hear the water pump ( sounds really healthy) working when I try to use the sink or bathroom, but water does not come out. Anyone know if there is some sort of a seal he may have had to take off? He could not remember ever using the sink/shower/bathroom and said he mainly used it for the bed. The waterpump is right under the 3rd seat but I would hate to replace it considering it's probably never been used.....
1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:29 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Check the valves.
Check the winterization bypass valve.

Check to see if the pump is primed. (You can suck on the faucet).
Old 05-10-2018, 08:31 PM   #3
Site Team

If you have one of those screen filters with the clear plastic caps, check that the cap is intact. This is a very common freeze-damage item.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:43 PM   #4
Platinum Member

BBQ and avanti are spot on target. I don't know if your Roadtrek has one or two fresh water tanks and I don't recall when they started using two tanks in some models. My 2007 RT210P has two tanks and the valves between them are really tricky for me to remember and I always just run them both on.

If your rig's water supply was not used by the original owner, he may very well have never used the valves and they may be set in such a way as to deny water to the tank.

Also, as mentioned by the BBQ, the bypass valve may be in the wrong position. A RT2000 is really a neat B and I came close to buying one years ago. I bet there is someone on this forum that has a 2000 and if so they can hopefully give you more specifics on yours.

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:40 AM   #5

I tried using a high power vaccum and suck the water out of a facet while the pump was running, but that was a no go. So, I hooked up to the city water line, and the water worked just fine. I am assuming that the water pump is bad after all?

I really love the big bed in the back of the roadtrek 200. I am 6'5 and I had to make a bed extension to fit in the back of my roadtrek 170. Now I have both, and I am contemplating which one to keep. The 170 is smaller and seems to be better thought out inside. On the other hand the Chevy based van drives nicer than the Dodge. Choices, choices!
Old 05-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I would check the screen in the little canister at the outlet from the fresh water tank before replacing the pump. May be plugged. Be careful, the plastic cap is old. I had to replace mine with a new version filter assembly that is a bit longer as that style has been discontinued, after hitting a critter with it.

I have a 2000 200 Versatile
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #7
Platinum Member

1999, you might simply unscrew the pipe going into the pump and see if any water runs out of the line. Since you apparently have some kind of vacuum device if the water doesn't flow out on its own gravity then see if you can suck some as far as the pump connection. If you are getting water as far as the pump, then you can go on down the system and worry about the pump. Otherwise, you will know it is between the pump and the tank.

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:53 AM   #8

Stevej- am I looking outside or inside the camper?
Old 05-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #9

Be sure the city water/tank water valve is in "tank position". Located driver side back storage near outside shower faucet. Should be parallel to pipe.
kretzvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:47 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999 View Post
Stevej- am I looking outside or inside the camper?
Outside. The tank is toward the front on the passenger side. The outlet and filter is on the driver's side of the tank.

On TDY at Bismarck ND.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:41 PM   #11

I suggest joining the Facebook group Roadtrek Chevy Owners. A wealth of info and helpful folks!
Earthsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #12
RKa

Default Water Valve

I have a Roadtrek 200 BUT it is 1998 not 2001 so don't know if what I am about to write is relevant. In my 1998 Roadtrek 200 at the back compartment driver's side is a valve (part of the hookup for external water. I can't remember which position is which but in one position (either vertical or horizontal) the internal water pump will be ineffective..... it will run but there will be near zero or zero pressure. So, if your water pump sounds as if it is working (as appears to be the description) then try turning the valve to the opposite position (if it is horizontal then turn to vertical etc.) That is how it works on my Roadtrek. Good luck.

Rand
RKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:21 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Smile Maintenance of water pump

I was unclear if water is being pumped to any of the faucets. If one is working (eg. sink in galley area), then you know water pump is working. If none are working, one cause could be the impellers on the water pump may need to be changed. If the pump is 18 years old, it might be worthwhile to just replace the water pump instead.

I would check shutoff valves first (as mentioned in other replies) and if these are correctly positioned, then water pump is most likely cause. Good luck.
hdevera is offline   Reply With Quote