Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-23-2018, 06:49 PM   #1
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: TX
Posts: 28
Default Roadtrek 210 Popular - HELP

Hello all....I'm a newb with some questions about a specific model Class B. My wife and I are interested in a 2017 Roadtrek 210 Popular. I keep hearing the term bulletproof on this model because it has been around so long and on the Chevy chassis. I have read about some air conditioner problems, but it appeared this was on older models. I was curious if there are any 210 Popular owners or past owners that could shed light on the PROS and CONS? Thanks in advance for any help.
__________________

HawkTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,684
Default

We are Chevy 190 owners, not 210, but any real issues affect both IMO.

They sit low, and have tendencies to bottom out easily and damage things underneath. It is addressable with various levels of cost, normally in the $1000 or a bit more range.

The 210s have fairly low cargo capacity, depending on how they are optioned. Roadtrek's current system of rating the capacity is very deceptive IMO, so be very careful about what they tell you. A fully optioned 210 with two fairly large occupants may only have about 500# of cargo capacity left.

The four speed transmission version tend to run hot in the mountains, the 6 speeds seem to not get hot.

Brakes can have a tendency to judder when very hot in mountains. Pad/rotor improvements fix readily.

The side entry door can be a bit low for taller folks, compared to the full height Sprinters and Promasters.

Positives are that they are under 9' tall, which is very nice, even with AC.

They drive very well stock, and can be made even better if desired.

Lots of storage space.

They can be repaired anywhere.

Very comfortable front seats IMO.

Very good reliability.

Decent fuel economy, especially with the 6 speed. Regular gas.

Good power.

We haven't seen anything that we would prefer than our Chevy Roadtrek to this point.
__________________

booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:16 PM   #3
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: TX
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We are Chevy 190 owners, not 210, but any real issues affect both IMO.

They sit low, and have tendencies to bottom out easily and damage things underneath. It is addressable with various levels of cost, normally in the $1000 or a bit more range.

The 210s have fairly low cargo capacity, depending on how they are optioned. Roadtrek's current system of rating the capacity is very deceptive IMO, so be very careful about what they tell you. A fully optioned 210 with two fairly large occupants may only have about 500# of cargo capacity left.

The four speed transmission version tend to run hot in the mountains, the 6 speeds seem to not get hot.

Brakes can have a tendency to judder when very hot in mountains. Pad/rotor improvements fix readily.

The side entry door can be a bit low for taller folks, compared to the full height Sprinters and Promasters.

Positives are that they are under 9' tall, which is very nice, even with AC.

They drive very well stock, and can be made even better if desired.

Lots of storage space.

They can be repaired anywhere.

Very comfortable front seats IMO.

Very good reliability.

Decent fuel economy, especially with the 6 speed. Regular gas.

Good power.

We haven't seen anything that we would prefer than our Chevy Roadtrek to this point.
Thanks so much for the info. Every experience any issues with your AC?
HawkTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:22 PM   #4
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkTX View Post
Thanks so much for the info. Every experience any issues with your AC?
Nope, dash AC and coach AC have been fine, ours is a 2007.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:25 PM   #5
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: TX
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Nope, dash AC and coach AC have been fine, ours is a 2007.
Appreciate your help! Thank you!
HawkTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:39 PM   #6
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 244
Default

We bought a 210P new in 2007. We sold it to a lady in 2013. We bought it back from her in 2017. Same unit.

Why? Because we had studied every make and model when we bought the RT and it was best for us in 2007. It was stored at our home in a HVAC controlled garage and was like new when we sold it. The buyer kept it stored and maintained as carefully as we had done for all its life. We also own a small Class C (Phoenix Cruiser 2350) which we love for long term boondocking.

We never quit missing our 2007 Roadtrek. The 210 is advertised as having the most storage of any true B. I believe it. It is incredibly easy to drive and the front seats (Flexsteel on our model, don't know about the new ones) are the most comfortable seats I have ever had on a vehicle. We have the old twin bed arrangement which we love.

Simply put, we love our 210. No one has ever heard of selling a RV and buying it back again because you missed that particular model and options but that is how much ours fits our needs for touring. In all the years we have owned I have always done all the maintenance on the rv portion and had the same mechanics do the chassis. The 6.0 L Chevy is bullet proof and the chassis is a proven commodity. Break down in Nowhere, USA, and try to find a diesel mechanic. Everywhere has somebody that can work on a Chevy van.

We owned a 190P for many years and, like the 210, it was never back to the dealer. It was on a Dodge chassis with the 5.2L, 318 engine which is also bullet proof.

I love to go to the RV shows and look and I never see anything I prefer over the Roadtrek 210P. Now, my advice is to carefully determine how you plan to use the RV most of the time. Traveling? Touring? Camping? Out in the boonies? We use the 210 for all of those things and find it small but doable for a week or two at a time off grid and doable all the time otherwise and that is with two people and a 50 pound doggie.

Yes, it has low clearance and you have to be cautious on rough and unpaved roads back in the woods. Yes, you have to stoop a bit and if you are tall you may have problems. Others can chime in on the downsides of the rig and every rv is a compromise. All I can tell you is we can pop into our 210, drive 500 miles and not be tired, take a shower and have a great sleep.

Never had a single problem with the AC in either Roadtrek we have owned.

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:43 PM   #7
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkTX View Post
Hello all....I'm a newb with some questions about a specific model Class B. My wife and I are interested in a 2017 Roadtrek 210 Popular. I keep hearing the term bulletproof on this model because it has been around so long and on the Chevy chassis. I have read about some air conditioner problems, but it appeared this was on older models. I was curious if there are any 210 Popular owners or past owners that could shed light on the PROS and CONS? Thanks in advance for any help.
Are you looking at a 210 that is on a dealer floor and if so, how is it optioned?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:46 PM   #8
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: TX
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
We bought a 210P new in 2007. We sold it to a lady in 2013. We bought it back from her in 2017. Same unit.

Why? Because we had studied every make and model when we bought the RT and it was best for us in 2007. It was stored at our home in a HVAC controlled garage and was like new when we sold it. The buyer kept it stored and maintained as carefully as we had done for all its life. We also own a small Class C (Phoenix Cruiser 2350) which we love for long term boondocking.

We never quit missing our 2007 Roadtrek. The 210 is advertised as having the most storage of any true B. I believe it. It is incredibly easy to drive and the front seats (Flexsteel on our model, don't know about the new ones) are the most comfortable seats I have ever had on a vehicle. We have the old twin bed arrangement which we love.

Simply put, we love our 210. No one has ever heard of selling a RV and buying it back again because you missed that particular model and options but that is how much ours fits our needs for touring. In all the years we have owned I have always done all the maintenance on the rv portion and had the same mechanics do the chassis. The 6.0 L Chevy is bullet proof and the chassis is a proven commodity. Break down in Nowhere, USA, and try to find a diesel mechanic. Everywhere has somebody that can work on a Chevy van.

We owned a 190P for many years and, like the 210, it was never back to the dealer. It was on a Dodge chassis with the 5.2L, 318 engine which is also bullet proof.

I love to go to the RV shows and look and I never see anything I prefer over the Roadtrek 210P. Now, my advice is to carefully determine how you plan to use the RV most of the time. Traveling? Touring? Camping? Out in the boonies? We use the 210 for all of those things and find it small but doable for a week or two at a time off grid and doable all the time otherwise and that is with two people and a 50 pound doggie.

Yes, it has low clearance and you have to be cautious on rough and unpaved roads back in the woods. Yes, you have to stoop a bit and if you are tall you may have problems. Others can chime in on the downsides of the rig and every rv is a compromise. All I can tell you is we can pop into our 210, drive 500 miles and not be tired, take a shower and have a great sleep.

Never had a single problem with the AC in either Roadtrek we have owned.

Paul
Paul, Thank you for this detailed post. This is great info and it speaks highly of the 210 that you bought yours back from the person you sold it to. Great info!
HawkTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:49 PM   #9
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 244
Default

One more thought to HawkTX: since you live in Texas and I live in Oklahoma you will appreciate my perspective. Virtually any B is going to be hotter in July than a C just by the nature of how they are built and you have to be aware of that fact. Our Phoenix Cruiser Class C on a hot day in full sun is hot but our Roadtrek is hotter and that is with AC running full blast in either rig.

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:09 PM   #10
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: TX
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
One more thought to HawkTX: since you live in Texas and I live in Oklahoma you will appreciate my perspective. Virtually any B is going to be hotter in July than a C just by the nature of how they are built and you have to be aware of that fact. Our Phoenix Cruiser Class C on a hot day in full sun is hot but our Roadtrek is hotter and that is with AC running full blast in either rig.

Paul
That is my only concern. We have a Winnebago View Class C right now with a diesel generator (upgraded option that we purchased) and the whole system including the air conditioning works flawless. Last trip to MOAB was over 100 degrees and the AC actually kept our unit cold. I think the appeal to me is the more van like body and the ability to get around easier, but you do make some sacrifices. Thanks for clarification on this.
HawkTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:03 PM   #11
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 244
Default

I bet it did in Moab with that low humidity. I had more in mind somewhere like the Texas Gulf Coast where humidity is 120% and the temperature is 100 degrees. It can rain without a cloud in the sky!!

Seriously, humidity really seems to be as important in our RT as the temperature. By the way that is a nice Class C you have. We almost bought one before we found the Phoenix Cruiser totally tricked out with 7000 miles on it, eleven months old and four miles from our house. They only make about 20 of our model a year so we leaped on it and have really enjoyed it.

This year we want to go to Glacier NP early in September. We live in Oklahoma City and it is 1500 miles up there. That would be a wear out for me driving our Phoenix, particularly if we towed the Jeep to get around. With a 210 Roadtrek, just a long drive and you can get around but not over the Going to the Sun highway because they limit it to 20 feet length I am told.

In a nutshell, even a small C is a truck. A 210 is a van. Nuff said.

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:06 PM   #12
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: TX
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
I bet it did in Moab with that low humidity. I had more in mind somewhere like the Texas Gulf Coast where humidity is 120% and the temperature is 100 degrees. It can rain without a cloud in the sky!!

Seriously, humidity really seems to be as important in our RT as the temperature. By the way that is a nice Class C you have. We almost bought one before we found the Phoenix Cruiser totally tricked out with 7000 miles on it, eleven months old and four miles from our house. They only make about 20 of our model a year so we leaped on it and have really enjoyed it.

This year we want to go to Glacier NP early in September. We live in Oklahoma City and it is 1500 miles up there. That would be a wear out for me driving our Phoenix, particularly if we towed the Jeep to get around. With a 210 Roadtrek, just a long drive and you can get around but not over the Going to the Sun highway because they limit it to 20 feet length I am told.

In a nutshell, even a small C is a truck. A 210 is a van. Nuff said.

Paul
Well said. I appreciate your input, Paul. Safe travels!
HawkTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:58 AM   #13
Platinum Member
 
Hondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 433
Default

I've had a ball with my 2006 210 Popular!

No real issues other than some worn steering components at 33,000 miles.
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:01 PM   #14
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 144
Default

I have only had one MH, a 2005 Roadtrek 210 Popular. I looked at and compared many others before buying it in 2015 with 43000 on it. Other than several things needing repair that were probably age related and while I have made several upgrades, that were not necessary, just what I preferred, I'm very happy with it.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:00 PM   #15
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 689
Default

I have the '15 210, and have experienced no problems. I also had an '05 190P for eight years....and never experienced a problem. Ron
__________________
Ron J. Moore
'15 RT210P
Ron J. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #16
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Key West, FL
Posts: 75
Default

I have a 2005 210P. Bought in 2014 with 65K miles. I’ve since doubled that. The only Chassis related failure was the Alternator. Just routine Maintenance/Service.

I Full-time. Permanent Twin Beds. Plenty of storage. I’m a hands-on Guy, so I’ve enjoyed doing numerous Mods/Upgrades.

Very,very pleased. I HIGHLY recommend one .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CE53CA39-4B93-42F4-B05D-DAB73276916C.jpg (112.3 KB, 14 views)
angelmroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:05 AM   #17
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: China
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkTX View Post
Hello all....I'm a newb with some questions about a specific model Class B. My wife and I are interested in a 2017 Roadtrek 210 Popular. I keep hearing the term bulletproof on this model because it has been around so long and on the Chevy chassis. I have read about some air conditioner problems, but it appeared this was on older models. I was curious if there are any 210 Popular owners or past owners that could shed light on the PROS and CONS? Thanks in advance for any help.
I have just found the Pros and Cons, you can have a look about it from here: https://rvshare.com/rv/roadtrek-rental. Thanks! But I also have seen so many people traveled with the Roadtrek before.
Monica998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:17 AM   #18
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Posts: 248
Default

We have about 150K miles on our 2008 210P and it is going great. Certainly have sone a few repairs: rear wheel bearing, front and rear brake pads/rotors, install Bilsteins, tires, replaced slides on the battery drawer and replaced the fridge. It has never let us down on the road, generator works fine, CoolCat A/C works fine, convection microwave works fine. Still love it and we are getting ready to head out to Arizona in a couple of weeks.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #19
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 44
Default 210P

We have owned our 2006 roadtrek 210p for 8.5 years. Owned a class a for 9 years before that. Loved it for what it was, a way to get from point a to point b towing a jeep to use to get around. But we were not really able to SEE the country like we wanted. The past 8.5 years we have toured the country, hardly ever backtracking anywhere, and going places, and staying places, that we would never try in the class a. That said, we have been very happy with the chevy chassis and only done regular maintenance for the most part. Upgrades were the wagner severe duty rotors and pads, bilstein shocks, tranny cooler, hd fan clutch, full time double comfy bed so we can reach the storage under the bed, wired backup camera, 255 watts of solar panels, and some other small items. When, and if, we ever get tired of touring the country and canada, we may decide to move back up to a class b+ or c and stay in campgrounds and resorts more. But not yet. Got a lot more traveling to do. We boondock much of the time.
__________________

hardybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×