Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2017, 02:30 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Roadtrek armoire: know of anyone who makes them aftermarket?

We are in the process of buying a Roadtrek 210 and have had that model in the past years. I made an armoire myself to replace the passenger seat immediately behind the shotgun seat when we owned a 210 in the past.

At one time a few years ago, there were a couple of after market sources for RT armoires. I have searched this and some other forums and can't find any such source. It seems one was in Florida and one in Canada if my memory serves me correctly.

Also, of course, I could custom make one myself but I don't have all the woodworking tools (and probably skills) I once enjoyed. Also, I could simply go to a local cabinet maker and have them do the job, but if someone knows of a source or a used armoire for sale, I would appreciate that information.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
We are in the process of buying a Roadtrek 210 and have had that model in the past years. I made an armoire myself to replace the passenger seat immediately behind the shotgun seat when we owned a 210 in the past.

At one time a few years ago, there were a couple of after market sources for RT armoires. I have searched this and some other forums and can't find any such source. It seems one was in Florida and one in Canada if my memory serves me correctly.

Also, of course, I could custom make one myself but I don't have all the woodworking tools (and probably skills) I once enjoyed. Also, I could simply go to a local cabinet maker and have them do the job, but if someone knows of a source or a used armoire for sale, I would appreciate that information.

There are more people removing the 3rd seat than removing an armoire.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:37 PM   #3
Platinum Member

That's true!! And that is why the after market twosome seemed to have had a good demand for their product! I have researched forums back for several years but can't find them so it may be no one is providing an after market product.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:03 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:

What advantage is there in an aftermarket armoire over the one currently offered by the factory for the 210?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:00 PM   #5
Platinum Member

You will likely NOT find an after market armoir. Go to a woodworker/cabinetmaker. Have a nice one custom made/matched
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:04 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklugie View Post
You will likely NOT find an after market armoir. Go to a woodworker/cabinetmaker. Have a nice one custom made/matched
I don't get it. Why custom build one when Roadtrek provides the option which is nterchangaable with the third seat?
Old 07-07-2017, 07:56 PM   #7
Platinum Member

We are buying a 2007 Roadtrek 210P. It does not have an armoire. If we were ordering new we would obviously order the armoire as an option. cruising7388, are you saying the factory can supply an armoire for a ten year old unit? Perhaps I falsely gave the impression we were ordering a new unit (??).
Old 07-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #8
BBQ
Platinum Member

RT has the armoire.
To be more precise, RT will make one for you.
But you won't like the price.

There is no harm in asking.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:07 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
We are buying a 2007 Roadtrek 210P. It does not have an armoire. If we were ordering new we would obviously order the armoire as an option. cruising7388, are you saying the factory can supply an armoire for a ten year old unit? Perhaps I falsely gave the impression we were ordering a new unit (??).
My mistake. I thought you were getting a new 210. RT does provide this option for current 210 production. Price is around $600 which I think is in the cost whereabouts of a third party custom unit. However, I don't know if the current armoire profile is compatible with the physical layout for circa 2007 but a call to the factory should determine this one way or the other.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:26 PM   #10
Platinum Member

When the aftermarket armoires were available, they were about 1/2 the price of a Roadtrek ones. ASFAIK Both vendors have gone away, so much tougher now.

If you go to a cabinet shop, you may get a nice, but heavy, armoire, as it will likely be MDF and 3/4" thick. The Roadtrek ones are much lighter, and that can be a big issue especially on a 210.;

If you can find a marine woodwork supplier, you could get an armoire built of lightweight Akuma, but it might cost plenty.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:17 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Thanks, folks, for the responses.

OK, here is the plan: I am going to quit being lazy, blow the dust off of some tools and make my own again. I have been sketching out what I want to work best for us. When I get physical possession of the RT, I will make a mock up to check out the fit, design and functionality of the limited space.

Then, I will make the cabinet sides using 1/4 inch or so veneer plywood. I will order the drawer or cabinet fronts to match the existing doors or cabinets. You can order those thru Amazon at fairly reasonable prices from three or four vendors. You can order the box part drawers as well thru Amazon. I will be very mindful of the weight and how I secure the completed project. Yes, weight is a factor on a 210. Also, design and installation have to contemplate emergency braking and even rollovers.

Then, it is a matter of assembly, fit and finish and installation design for removal when not wanted. I priced this out roughly at between $200 and $250.

I think that is the best solution for us. I did a lot of woodwork for years, but kinda lost interest several years ago. Hopefully, I can remember to keep my fingers out of the way of the saw blades !!
Old 07-10-2017, 02:59 PM   #12
Platinum Member

We saw this company's booth at the last FMCA convention in Phoenix and they appear to do first class work. Here is the link.

John

https://countrycraftsmanwoodworking....oaAhH1EALw_wcB
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:19 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Thanks, JohnnyFry! I will take a look at that site.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I found Mobilife on a quick internet search. See bottom of the page.
Mat Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Thanks Mat Mobile. Yep, that is the website of the Canadian firm I remembered from long ago. I found an old link in an archive on another forum and it now takes me to an entirely different page than you posted. Thanks a lot for the information. That source could be really valuable to a lot of RT owners. Me? I am going to do as I posted above and just build my own which will be designed to specifically meet some things my DW (also known as She Who Must Be Obeyed) would like to have in the armoire design.