Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Roadtrek battery charging

We have a 2001 RoadTrek 200P on a Chevy chassis. I have searched all through the RoadTrek literature and cannot find any answers to my question. I found (pretty sure)that when I plug in to 120v, the house battery is recharging, but does the chassis(engine starting) battery recharge too? Or do I need to use a separate charger for it. I was thinking of disconnecting the battery cables from the chassis battery, connecting my DVM to the cables, plugging 120v back in and see if I get 12.8v at the cables. Any thought or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Moonmanvt
Moonmanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Roadtrek battery charging

From the factory, your 2001 Roadtrek chassis battery will not get charged when your van is plugged in.

Some newer models actually have a Battery Separator that has this option but I don't know if the were installed in such a way as to utilize it.

This post might interest you: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...2&t=453&p=1038
my '04 Roadtrek had a three stage charger though so it was basically a float charge
maybe hang a note on the steering wheel to remind you to remove it before using the van

I'm a fan of BatteryMinder maintenance/trickle chargers. I have one in my current van right now maintaining both the house and chassis batteries. A second BatteryMinder is keeping my lawn tractor battery happy until Spring.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Platinum Member

If you end up getting a BatteryMinder then you can make or buy a cigarette lighter type plug for it and charge the chassis battery through the 12v accessory outlet in the van dash.
Some info here: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi....php?f=9&t=656
Old 12-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Also, you don't need to disconnect the battery cables to do your test. Just touch the multimeter probe ends to the chassis battery posts. If the vehicle hasn't been used in a while the voltage shown will be less than 12.6v. If it is charging from the coach converter/charger then you'll see 13 volts or more.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Silver Member

Thanks Marco,
I DVM'd the battery, 12.1v. Then I checked to make sure the cig. lighter was hot, which it is, and I am in the process of purchasing a Battery Tender 021-0128 with the lighter adapter. I'll plug the "Tender" into a 15a outlet in the kitchen area and to the lighter socket. Voila, everything will be nice, neat and functional. Thanks again.
Moonmanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

There are 2 web pages out there, on all things 12V, which is a good, plain language, primer for RV folks.
Someone on here has linked to them before (marko?).
Might be worth a read for anyone who is curious about how RV electrical system components work.
Here's some links......
http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm
http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volta.htm

I saw a schematic from Part 1 added to another thread on here recently (MegA's van conversion?).