Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #1

Default roadtrek cable connection

Hi,

I have a 1997 roadtrek versatile 190. I see the cable connection inside, But where is the connection outside?
cooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:12 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: roadtrek cable connection

Cooz, take a look in the area where you outside faucets are - most likely a flip up plastic lid. Safe travels.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #3

Found it, Thank you very much.

Now the magic question. What's a good satelite dish and service I could buy? doesn't have to be permanent
Old 10-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Where do you live? i live in Canada and have Shaw Direct. They permit me to use a second dish
and our second receiver while on the road, and have it listed as a "vacation property" I believe.

USA:
Check with Dish Network and DirectTV and see if either has any objections to using their product
on the road. Or just go with which ever one is cheaper, and say nothing. If you have problems out
there, don't call them for help, as they may cut you off. Some folks also use satellite internet, but
I believe it's still pretty pricey, and may only be necessary and feasible for a full timer. There are
other options for road internet access available, and several are free (Starbucks/McDonalds).

There are some nice portable semi-automatic and fully automatic dish systems for all 4 major North American
satellite TV companies (BellXpressVu in Canada is the fourth). Just search for mobile satellite hardware
and you'll find them. Motosat, King Controls, and Winegard all make portable dish systems.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:47 PM   #5

Look at www.dishformyrv.com. Dish network offers a pay-as-you-go system. You pay for a month at a time but if you don't use it all, you pause the service and can use the remaining days later. We bought the portable, suitcase antenna and the VIP 211K receiver. Very pleased.
TinyoneRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
Platinum Member

If "cooz" is American? If he/she is Canadian, it's harder to get a subscription based service without
a US address and credit history. Also, the big 4 North American satellite providers generally won't
sell products and services to cross border customers, afaik.
Sort of a territorial infringement "respect" thing.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #7

Yes, I'm in New york. And i just ordered my system from dishformyrv, Thanks tinyone
Old 10-31-2011, 01:17 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooz
Yes, I'm in New york. And i just ordered my system from dishformyrv, Thanks tinyone
Just curious. Did you go straight to Dish Network (or DirectTV) to see if they had a better package?
Dishformyrv.com probably pads their prices to make a profit.
Dish Network or DirectTV might have a direct to the subscriber package for RVers.
Just a thought.

Anyway, congrats on finding a system. It can be a blessing in some areas of the country where OTA
TV isn't available.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:03 AM   #9
Platinum Member

It can be a blessing to get away from the TV too. I just use my computer and the great little device and program called WinTV to get news or something special if necessary. It comes with a little portable digital antenna good for 25 miles or so sitting on the 'fridge or microwave.

https://www.classbforum.com/images/1994%20GMC.jpg
VernM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:18 AM   #10

I tried to go straight through dishtv, but being that I'm not already a subscriber, they kept directing me towards dishformyrv
Old 10-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #11

Dish doesn't care where you get the antenna and receiver since they supply only the signal. The downside of this arrangement is there are no packages where you get antenna, receiver and a year of programming for a reduced price. You pay there full price for each 30 days of programming you use. Still, I think it's ideal for an RVer who doesn't have satellite at home.
TinyoneRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernM
It can be a blessing to get away from the TV too. I just use my computer and the great little device and program called WinTV to get news or something special if necessary. It comes with a little portable digital antenna good for 25 miles or so sitting on the 'fridge or microwave.
I've seen these things mentioned on here over and over again, internet TV access, using various
types of hardware and software, some free, some you have to buy software with a card or adapter.
Has anyone got a step by step "how to" convert or update a laptop to a source of TV entertainment,
or as you've suggested, to get news updates (or in my case I'd like to get market updates, preferably
in real time)?
It might help some of us who can often get wifi access in places where there isn't an OTA TV signal
(or it's only PBS and the theology channels) or it's not practical to set up a satellite dish.

Who has the best software/hardware combo, for the lowest price, that would run off free wifi like
Starbucks or McDonalds, and not cost the same as a mobile satellite rooftop aiming system.
I know I could Google this, but I'm looking to tap the experience and expertise of those of you
techie folks with laptop TV.
Maybe this question/topic should be a separate thread, so I'll create one and place it here in the
General folder and also in the Intenet and Tech stuff.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyoneRV
Dish doesn't care where you get the antenna and receiver since they supply only the signal. The downside of this arrangement is there are no packages where you get antenna, receiver and a year of programming for a reduced price. You pay there full price for each 30 days of programming you use. Still, I think it's ideal for an RVer who doesn't have satellite at home.
I was looking at it from the perspective of you already had home satellite and 2 receivers, so you just needed
a second dish to take it with you on the road. That's why we switched to satellite TV 3 years ago. It turned out
to be cheaper, and more flexible in content, than cable, which we'd had for years. The second receiver was only
$5 extra per month, we had 2 TVs at home anyway, so it was a no brainer to look into road-sat with Shaw first.
I understand if you have cable at home (mixed marriage? ) and want sat on the road, it makes sense to use
the 3rd party guys if Dish is pushing you in that direction. Was DirectTV the same? Do they also have a 3rd party
mobile sat-TV hardware and service provider I wonder?