Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 06:14 PM   #241
Platinum Member

Default Re: Roadtrek is making a ProMaster model... Zion

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
What do you want? Do you want an Onan?

I think you like the idea of the engine generator and would be happy with two of those 180Ah TPPL batteries or the equivalent. A "1/2-trek" rather than a "1/4-trek".

If that's want you want then don't settle for less.

Somebody should tell Jim H that you're one battery away from signing a deal. He could make it happen in an instant.

Sorry for not answering your question ........... just had to say the above. Plus we don't know the fuse size on the wire from the OEM alternator and whether the units come with different chargers and different inverters depending on the generator chosen.

mark-roadtrek is backupped with zion orders. putting an additional battery would be additional engineering on this model that they can't get to at this time. if i want to wait a year-that ks a different issue i did ask Jim Hammill

1/4 trek or bust-lol- i have to admit though having 1/4 trek and an onan i would have all bases covered the inverter/ charger is 2000 watt made by same company that makes the ones for 2500 and 5000

i wanted to make sure all options were exhausted. i can say i tried and not lok back. we(actually I) have waited long enough-i'm becoming a cliche'

now if only the blizzard stays away-lol
Old 01-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #242
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
I agree with Marko. The big thing will be the capability of the wiring to the coach batteries with the stock alternator. The alternator itself would do fine, I think, but it is very possible they don't upgrade the wiring unless you buy the engine generator.

It is very possible that Roadtrek knows that they are a bit short on battery with the 185AH one. Why else would they call it a 400amp battery except to make it seem like a 1/2 Roadtrek setup. I know that is what I though the first time I heard it.

Booster-the 220 amp alternator -2000 watt inverter-and the Northstar battery are standard they do not change-i asked that. you get that even if you get no generator(onan or engine).

I can't say for wiring however if everyone who buys the zion gets this package we will all be in same boat. it seems i am the only one(thanks to you guys help) questioning the battery

this is the one the wife wants.I also really like it but was looking at better battery package. does not mean the onan and 1/4 trek combo won't work out ok.

the roadtrek rep talked to their engineer for me when checking on the battery- i wanted to make sure it was this one and it was. they have tested the one battery with their wiring system and this inverter. adding a second battery would be an additional high amp draw caused by these tppl batteries. I might also end up being a guinie pig (spelling not good) with the 2 batterys. i will stick with 1/4 trek and onan
Old 01-25-2015, 07:22 PM   #243
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
................. they have tested the one battery with their wiring system and this inverter. adding a second battery would be an additional high amp draw caused by these tppl batteries...............
On the alternator charging side I guess if not already otherwise limited by a fuse or wire size .................... but that would indicate it is not setup to take the maximum 280 amps from the alternator......... because that would be the maximum regardless of number of batteries .......

I can't see it on the load side though because the wiring should already be sized to accommodate what the 2000 watt inverter needs. 2000w /12v = 167 amps minimum. One battery or two or three is not going to change that a 2000 watt inverter can output 2000 watts and would need to be fed a minimum of 167 amps to do that .......

I could be missing something here but no need to discuss that if nobody wants to.

----------------------------------------------------------------

No doubt they are busy and adding the new model adds to the production load. I guessed that 20 new cargo vans of various makes are delivered each week and 20 completed Class B leave the factory each week based on that 1,000 unit estimate for 2014. Very busy Very impressive really
Old 01-25-2015, 07:33 PM   #244
Platinum Member

I think a valid question to ask them is if the system, when you don't get the engine generator, designed to be be able to run the engine to supply the inverter full power and charge the batteries and run whatever else?

The older Roadtreks with only the 80 amp wiring were not really intended to run the inverter from the engine, even with only the 750 watt inverter in the Triplite you would trip the breakers as the alternator could supply much more than 80 amps. Using the van engine to run things is relatively new and most often talked about with the engine generator, but I don't know if I have ever heard any claim about doing it when you don't have the engine generator.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #245
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
I think a valid question to ask them is if the system, when you don't get the engine generator, designed to be be able to run the engine to supply the inverter full power and charge the batteries and run whatever else?

The older Roadtreks with only the 80 amp wiring were not really intended to run the inverter from the engine, even with only the 750 watt inverter in the Triplite you would trip the breakers as the alternator could supply much more than 80 amps. Using the van engine to run things is relatively new and most often talked about with the engine generator, but I don't know if I have ever heard any claim about doing it when you don't have the engine generator.

beat you to it already asked the other day-inverter is tied into all 120 volt outlets and devices-only limitation is howmuch battery power available.

i was looking to do this with sportsmobile 2 years ago it's not new
Old 01-25-2015, 08:26 PM   #246
Platinum Member

That's the AC current side - Booster was referring to the DC current side. Think of it as the supply to the inverter not the output from the inverter. They question is how much DC current can get to the inverter with the oem 220 amp alternator? Obviously the van wants some current but is the leftover current further limited by wiring size and or fusing? If there's an 80 amp fuse on that wire for example then 80a x 12v = 960 watts or 1120 watts if the alternator can maintain 14 volts. That might be enough to run the microwave oven for example. I doubt RT intends for the non-engine generator units to be used like that but maybe it could be thought of as a bonus feature.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:30 PM   #247
Platinum Member

this is what the wife wants and she gets-what can i say

as i understand it- the Zion was originally designed to have engine generator standard-and it is wired that way. then the dealers at the initial meeting said it had to have an Onan option. this is the same thing that happened with the ranger. roadtrek relented and made propane and Onan optional.

since the zion was designed around the big alternator/2000 watt inverter charger/and the Northstar battery in a quick turnaround all they did was remove the big alternator and add in the onan option.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #248
Platinum Member

I saw a post on the RT forum where Jim stated that the Zion can have either an Onan or the engine generator, or both. If I go with a RT model, I'd definitely go for both. This should add a lot of resale value, especially vans bought here in Texas.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:11 PM   #249
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
I saw a post on the RT forum where Jim stated that the Zion can have either an Onan or the engine generator, or both. If I go with a RT model, I'd definitely go for both. This should add a lot of resale value, especially vans bought here in Texas.

it's 3500 dollars for just the 280 amp alternator-remember the inverter/charger and 1 battery are standard- if it was a larger battery bank i would agree with you but 500 amps in alternator current(280 plus 220) for a 185 amp battery seems way overkill. just my opinion.( i might say differently if the 280 amp alternator was just it's 800 dollar cost)

I asked about why the 280 amp alternator was 3500 dollars when the inverter/charger and battery were standard already. I was told the insertion of the 280 amp in the promaster cost more money to install.

the thing that makes most sense to me is the onan with the 220 amp alternator. just my opinion-it's the battery that is the issue to me
Old 01-26-2015, 11:13 PM   #250
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Almost sounds to me like after RT previewed the Zion to dealers, and dealers said we need the Onan available, that they raised the price of the extra alternator to ridiculous numbers. Now I base that on what was said above about the cost being just for the alternator addition. Those big alternators don't cost anywhere near that much.

Owning a vehicle with the 3.6 engine in it that the ProMaster runs, that by the way isn't afflicted with an EGR valve, I wouldn't hesitate to do some extensive idling to charge things back up. Could even come up with some kind of high idle stick to run it say at 1100-1300 rpm....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
Old 01-26-2015, 11:24 PM   #251
Platinum Member

Don't all modern gas engines have EGR valves?
Old 01-27-2015, 01:11 AM   #252
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
Don't all modern gas engines have EGR valves?

The 3.6 & 3.2 Pentastars don't...

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
Old 01-27-2015, 08:04 AM   #253
Platinum Member

Interesting.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:42 PM   #254
Platinum Member

Roadtrek Zion review video:

[youtube:auqi0zbw]z-F3Tg-mBNQ[/youtube:auqi0zbw]

It's interesting to see someone in the unit using things. Class B's look big in photos and small when you see people inside!

The bathroom in the entrance is new for Roadtrek. I've only ever had bathrooms down the aisle in a Class B and like the instant privacy you get by simply opening the doors for changing clothes or brushing your teeth etc. No need to close curtains for example.

I wonder if the TV could be positioned on the opposite wall from the sofa? Then you could sit on the sofa and watch TV.

I'd like to see the front seats swiveled and table setup etc. I think you'd have to use the table for meal prep as there's no countertop space left at all when the stove and sink are in use.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:22 PM   #255
Platinum Member

this is not the one used in tampa or hartford( i can tell a few differerences). the one we saw did not have any of it's tanks,or front bathroom curtains and mirrors. I agree with her assesment that this is not a full timing vehicle-but truthfully i never saw any B as a full timing vehicle although some people do.

they are pushing out some of these for showing at rv shows only partially equipped. i'm not sure that's agood idea(the partially equiped part)
Old 01-28-2015, 06:07 PM   #256
Platinum Member

Some nice details you don't see in the other video. I like what they went over, but their presentation skills need work.

I follow Chris on youtube. I really don't get what is going on with him. He traveled for years in an old Dodge B van what was pretty cramped and beat up. He was all about adventuring, stealthing and being off-grid. Now he's reviewing mainstream RV's. Check out his video on the Super C's.

He met this chick, got rid of his van, and bought an A Class in a short time. Notice when she said she couldn't stay in the Zion for a couple of nights? Speaks volumes! Must be lurve.

I was a bit disappointed that, knowing that wreck of a van he drove for years, he'd be criticizing the Zion's driver's seat and instrument cluster. Really?

Anywho, from the video, not impressed with the bathroom. Without the sink, it would work better. Love all the cabinet space, but don't care for the fit and finish (at least from what we can tell). Just doesn't seem like the fit is very good. Overall, it does look spacious considering all the cabinets.

Notice he said 16 gallons propane?

I guess that none of the windows open except for those two over the bed?
Old 01-28-2015, 06:11 PM   #257
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
I think you'd have to use the table for meal prep as there's no countertop space left at all when the stove and sink are in use.
Travato 59G is the same way. The table is absolutely necessary to have some space to prepare a meal as the sink and the stovetop are usually both in use at the same time. The Zion really could use a flip up counter extension.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:16 PM   #258
Platinum Member

Chris Travels YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCidJft ... 196YynvqXg

I just noticed the counter extension at the entrance.

For anyone who has been in the Zion - how does opening the bathroom door work with the front table up, seats swiveled, counter extension up etc.? Are there some combos that you can't use together? If the table is setup can you get into the bathroom for example?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zion countertop extension.jpg (107.9 KB, 635 views)
Old 01-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #259
Platinum Member

some of the stats he gave are either incorrect or roadtrek has changed them

i have the latest brochure form the show last weekend.

it says 7 gallon propane(same as the ranger) and 19 gallon black tank 20 gallon gray tank. fresh water says 35 gallons although it probably includes the water heater.these were all calculated in liters also,
as far as the sliding windows-the thing i liked most is how the screens are done-in the pictures you open the windows and you can pass thru them.

however the curtains have the screen attached. you push the curtain to the back-open the window then push the curtain to the front -as it folds into the fornt the mech screen expands forward. i though that was cool.

we opened the bathroom doors all the way- i 'don't know if it would interfere with the front table(did not try it).

i did lift up and put down the counter extension- i don't think it would interfere with bathroom door however i did not open at same time
Old 01-28-2015, 06:36 PM   #260
Platinum Member

An across the rear bi-fold sofa might be a good choice in this model. Easier to watch TV. Set up the dinette there too. It would also give you rear storage.
Closed Thread