Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 03:01 PM   #281
Platinum Member

Default Re: Roadtrek is making a ProMaster model... Zion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
My favorite colors all around. I probably have a Travato 59k in my future but don't like red or silver. I think Windcrasher has the same outside color from before Winnebago lost their minds. We will all anxiously await your new babies arrival.

LOL. I was actually contemplating the red for my next van! Maybe it goes back to wanting to be a fireman when I was 5.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #282
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingCamper
Nice - congratulations Gerry51!
I think you configured it similar to what we would do. We're not sure on the Onan though? We'll be watching what you and other owners say once you start using it.
The Zion is our favorite RV right now. The floor plan is exactly what we are looking for and we like the storage available etc. We'll also be going with the gas engine.

I think it's rude to ask you what you paid but I'm curious since this is such a new and in demand unit do dealers still discount the usual 10-15% or are they less likely to deal due to the demand? The only RV we bought was back in 2002 and it was heavily discounted about 18%-20% off MSRP.
We're trying to decide if we should wait a year or two before we buy. We won't be retired for another few years, maybe up to 5 years, so if we bought now we wouldn't be able to use it too much. Plus with the massive depreciation of RVs this might not make sense? We'd just be able to take weekend getaways and a couple of 1-2 week trips at most until we retire. Once we retiree we have at least 5 years worth of touring planned, not full timing but 1-3 month trips a few times per year.
Our other option is to buy something used now then get a new unit in 4-5 years, this would reduce the year to year depreciation. Used Class Bs are very hard to find at good prices though, most 2-5 year old units I see advertised at prices close to what a new discounted unit could go for.

if you have been reading the battery posts then you will know why i got the onan.

the zion-at this time-it could change- has 1 battery the Northstar sms 400 agm. this is a tppl battery that has as it's 20 hour rate 186 amps.

it's reserve capcitity(how long it will give 25 amps) is 400 minutes- it is not a 400 amp battery.

to show some comparisons.

lifeline 210 amp 12 volt battery is 390 minutes of reserve capacity.

2 6 volt at 220 amps is 491 minutes reserve capacity.

my feeling is that the Roadtrek engine generatorsystem- which was used for the e-trek and 1/2 e-trek is excellent for bigger battery banks-at least a 440 amp 1/2 trek charging 220 amps at 50 percent.

at 50 percent the zions battery is only 90 amps. seems to be overkill especially since on the zion the 280 amp alternator is all you get. 3500 dollars versus 3700 for the zion inverter/charger is standard.

however the most often asked question about the etrek and 1/2 etrek is 'how long will my air condioner run on batteries' not' how long will my air conditioner run on batteries while while the engine is running'.

my original goal was to have battery run time for the AC for about 90 minutes. this is not doable with a 185 amp sized battery -no matter how good it is.

the cats must be protected-the wife says-so the onan.

i'm retired NOW. if you won't use it a lot now for you i would wait.

i went to part time 2 years ago and stopped totally this month. we already had decided a roadtrek in first quarter of this year-it's just the zions popping up changed the model. instead of buying and only using a little save your money and pay cash). also in a couple years an additional battery may be an option(remember 1 northstar equals about 2 batteries already. then the enigine generator would make sense
Old 01-31-2015, 02:58 PM   #283
Bronze Member

Does anyone know if the rear benches will have seat belts such that for example 3 passengers can be seated in the rear whilst travelling?
Old 01-31-2015, 03:57 PM   #284
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclemins
Does anyone know if the rear benches will have seat belts such that for example 3 passengers can be seated in the rear whilst travelling?

your best bet is to contact roadtrek sales at sales@roadtrek.com

they usually respond within 24 hours(on week days)
Old 01-31-2015, 04:31 PM   #285
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclemins

I'll bet not but contact RT like gerry51 says

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
Old 01-31-2015, 05:30 PM   #286
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingCamper
Nice - congratulations Gerry51!
I think you configured it similar to what we would do. We're not sure on the Onan though? We'll be watching what you and other owners say once you start using it.
The Zion is our favorite RV right now. The floor plan is exactly what we are looking for and we like the storage available etc. We'll also be going with the gas engine.

I think it's rude to ask you what you paid but I'm curious since this is such a new and in demand unit do dealers still discount the usual 10-15% or are they less likely to deal due to the demand? The only RV we bought was back in 2002 and it was heavily discounted about 18%-20% off MSRP.
We're trying to decide if we should wait a year or two before we buy. We won't be retired for another few years, maybe up to 5 years, so if we bought now we wouldn't be able to use it too much. Plus with the massive depreciation of RVs this might not make sense? We'd just be able to take weekend getaways and a couple of 1-2 week trips at most until we retire. Once we retiree we have at least 5 years worth of touring planned, not full timing but 1-3 month trips a few times per year.
Our other option is to buy something used now then get a new unit in 4-5 years, this would reduce the year to year depreciation. Used Class Bs are very hard to find at good prices though, most 2-5 year old units I see advertised at prices close to what a new discounted unit could go for.

I got 16 percent off msrp-now use your imagination i wanted this dealer that was close to me and has an excellent rep for repair. they are within 30 minutes of me. he did not try to haggle-offered me 16 percent off up front-i had already decided to take 15 percent

ps sorry i did not answer this in earler post- i did not notice your request
Old 02-06-2015, 05:17 PM   #287
Platinum Member

Now that it's past the prototype stage and into production I've started a new Roadtrek Zion topic and have closed this old topic.

New discussion topic:

Roadtrek Zion - ProMaster based Class B Motorhome link: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=9&t=3521
Closed Thread