Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #1

Default Roadtrek Second Row Seating Fail

I was reading the second report of the receiver in the Hymer NA bankruptcy and they state that a former employee came forward with information that the second row seating used on various floorplans built on the sprinter chassis between 2012 -2018 were not the same as the ones they had tested for FMVSS. The receiver had the actual ones used tested and they failed. 1900 vehicles have second row seating that failed the safety requirements. Normally there would be a recall if the company was still in business. The receiver will contact NHTSA and inform them of the issue.

Here is the link to the second report.

https://www.alvarezandmarsal.com/content/erwin-hymer-group-north-america-inc-receiver-reports

bvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Could you please let me know which models/ floorplans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanman View Post
I was reading the second report of the receiver in the Hymer NA bankruptcy and they state that a former employee came forward with information that the second row seating used on various floorplans built on the sprinter chassis between 2012 -2018 were not the same as the ones they had tested for FMVSS. The receiver had the actual ones used tested and they failed. 1900 vehicles have second row seating that failed the safety requirements. Normally there would be a recall if the company was still in business. The receiver will contact NHTSA and inform them of the issue.

Here is the link to the second report.

https://www.alvarezandmarsal.com/content/erwin-hymer-group-north-america-inc-receiver-reports

OK, I didn't read through the entire report, you apparently did?

Which models or are you talking about all of them?

Just give us the Cliff Notes version... please.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:28 PM   #3

The report just said any models built on the sprinter chassis between 2012 and 2018 that had second row seats (seats behind the front driver and passenger seats) did not pass the safety testing required by NHTSA. Im not an expert, but I interpret that as the second row seats failed in the seat belt, seat base and chair pulls.
bvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:54 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Default Thank you for letting me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanman View Post
The report just said any models built on the sprinter chassis between 2012 and 2018 that had second row seats (seats behind the front driver and passenger seats) did not pass the safety testing required by NHTSA. Im not an expert, but I interpret that as the second row seats failed in the seat belt, seat base and chair pulls.
We have a 2012 RS.... but, actually, it's built on a 2011 Sprinter 3500; built date July 2011......

I wonder if it really affects me...we removed the seats and have the optional armoire storage cabinets up front for organization.....works.....
Old 06-19-2019, 12:11 AM   #5
Platinum Member

It will probably take an investigation by NHTSA and their Canadian equivalent to publish identifying part numbers before owners will know if their Roadtrek seat models are the ones that failed testing. Probably several months or more.

It seems Roadtrek is just the gift that keeps on giving (and not it a good way).
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:24 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
We have a 2012 RS.... but, actually, it's built on a 2011 Sprinter 3500; built date July 2011......

I wonder if it really affects me...we removed the seats and have the optional armoire storage cabinets up front for organization.....works.....
I would think that if you have removed the seats, you are in the clear even if your particular van is included in the group. No one can sit in your seats - they aren't there. No safety issue.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:37 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes47 View Post
I would think that if you have removed the seats, you are in the clear even if your particular van is included in the group. No one can sit in your seats - they aren't there. No safety issue.

Maybe true, but there may be an issue if the mountings for armoire are the same as the seat. If the seat could be put back in, they may say it is still a violation.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:22 PM   #8
Silver Member

Quote:

Starting on page 163 of this appendix are the VIN numbers of what the receiver thinks the affected vehicles are. Assuming HWS is build date, a quick search reveals no build dates in 2011 so you should be OK.
2006 Roadtrek 210 Versatile, 400W Solar, 320AH LiFePO4. Suspension mods: Front: Moog 81004 coil springs. Rear: SuperSteer Track Bar, AirLift airbags with integrated bump stop, 2" lift blocks, removed overload leafs. All around: Bilsteins, 265-75R16 K02's
Luv2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:10 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default Perfect 👌..... thanks for letting me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Go View Post
Starting on page 163 of this appendix are the VIN numbers of what the receiver thinks the affected vehicles are. Assuming HWS is build date, a quick search reveals no build dates in 2011 so you should be OK.
Thanks, welcome news indeed.... my conversion was done in July 2011..... Interesting that they sold them as a 2012 model, my particular coach was sold to the original owners in August 2011. And my Sprinter is recognized by Mercedes Benz as a 2011 model.

I guess that is just the industry standard.....
Old 06-23-2019, 11:17 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Go View Post
Great post. Nice of you to wade through the many pages to get to the useful info. Hope that includes your 210 model.

Quote:
Thanks, welcome news indeed.... my conversion was done in July 2011..... Interesting that they sold them as a 2012 model, my particular coach was sold to the original owners in August 2011. And my Sprinter is recognized by Mercedes Benz as a 2011 model.

I guess that is just the industry standard.....
Glad you got good news.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #11
Platinum Member

My 2013 RS is on the list. The HWS date listed for mine anyway is the purchase date.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:58 PM   #12

Default On the list

My vehicle is on the list too. I would be interested in communicating directly with any other owners who's vehicle is on the list.

rw_gould@hotmail.com
subject line: Roadtrek 2nd row seat issue

Thanks
Bob
MiClassB17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:37 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Default Exact language from report.

The Receiver understands that this configuration of second row seating could have been installed in over 1900 RV Inventory units sold by EHGNA between 2013 and 2019. The
Receiver is not aware of any historical claims being made against EHGNA related to the
second row seating
Old 06-25-2019, 08:26 PM   #14
fjc

Default Does this apply to CS?

Does this apply to CS? I have a regular 2018 CS and my vin is not on the list.
fjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:16 PM   #15
Gold Member

Seems like if you have an impact hard enough to break seat bases off the floor and break seat belts, there is a serious problem happening anyways. My RT doesn’t fall into this class, but if it did, I’d just enjoy the fact that I was fortunate enough to be able to afford such a nice vehicle.
Thevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:12 AM   #16

Hi, does anyone know what action has been taking regarding this issue?
Kleschka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:39 PM   #17
Platinum Member

See this video of European camper crash testing.
https://youtu.be/JuNOarORALM

MLogan
2017 Trend
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:50 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Our class b's should do better. But I never want to put it to the test. My Chevy Express has a 5-star front crash rating from NHTSA, but that is factory stock. Not with 3000+ lbs of additional outfitted weight pushing you into whatever you hit.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:13 PM   #19
Platinum Member

I wholeheartedly agree.

With all the buildout I have done over the years, using a high end Marine Carpenter, bolted, glued, double tapped - my biggest concern is the that of a roll over & becoming trapped & the rescuers find me lifeless & blue in the face, pinned up against the inside of my windscreen with all the stellar artifacts of my Roadtrek Modifications, the source of my demise.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #20
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleschka View Post
Hi, does anyone know what action has been taking regarding this issue?
Per receiver's third report on page 32 that they have sent a new letter to all affected owners Jan 9, 2020 that essentially says they will remove the seatbelt(s) and add a label that says "second row seat is not to be occupied while the vehicle is in motion".
2006 Roadtrek 210 Versatile, 400W Solar, 320AH LiFePO4. Suspension mods: Front: Moog 81004 coil springs. Rear: SuperSteer Track Bar, AirLift airbags with integrated bump stop, 2" lift blocks, removed overload leafs. All around: Bilsteins, 265-75R16 K02's
Luv2Go is offline   Reply With Quote