Old 08-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Roadtrek TV connection help

My van is an '05/'06 R/T 190 V - I'm having trouble with TV reception.

Inside the A/V cabinet there's a junction box that I assume is an A/B switch.

1) the white cable on the right - one end is connected to a TV Antenna Amplifier (so it says on a very small device) - the other end connects to the A/B switch. So, I assume that this is connected to the R/T's built-in TV antenna.(?)

2) the black cable is untraceable - as it disappears into the van's wall. So, I assume that this comes from the external Cable TV connection (by the City Water hook-up).(?)

3) the white cable on the left - leaves the A/B switch, goes thru the cabinet wall and is connected to the TV's "cable in".

If all the assumptions are correct, why am I unable to get anything other than the poorest of pictures when connected to campground cable TV outlets or more of the same when the A/B switch button is pushed.

To further trouble-shoot I intend to run a cable from my closest Directv receiver to the various van connections (but haven't done so as yet).

So, any opinions would be appreciated. Thank you.

http://[img]http://www.classbforum.c....jpg[/img]

Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Platinum Member

One way to find the other end of the cable is to get a little lead with alligator clips and short out the far end of the cable you are unsure of. Hooking center lead to shield. Then take a volt/ohm meter and find out which one shows up shorted at the A/B box. Then open the short and check again, to be sure you saw what you think you saw.

The Wineguard TV booster antennas aren't so hot when it comes to much range. They'll all present a "snowy" analogue or not present a digital TV signal from off the air. Better is a satellite (Dish or Direcway) system. If you chose to go that route, it will need to connect to the cable lead, not the Wineguard lead, to work as the satellite receiver needs current supplied through the coax and the Wineguard won't allow it to pass.

Make any sense?

http://classbforum.com/images/1994%20GMC.jpg
VernM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:18 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernM
One way to find the other end of the cable is to..

Make any sense?
Yes, thanks for the reply - my good friend has the "stuff" to be able to do what you've suggested - I'll "hit-him-up" for some help.

Thank You..
Old 09-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Default update

Houston North KOA is about 3 miles from my residence - visited there this morning and explained my desire to troubleshoot my Van's cable/antenna system - the Manager was nice enough to allow me to use one of the empty spots for cable and electrics - without charging (thank you KOA) !

Discovered there's nothing wrong with the cable line from the outside hook-up, thru and then out of the A/B switch - must have been the cable connections at campgrounds on my recent trip. The built-in R/T antenna continues to not receive much of anything in this area (would like someday to try it in close proximity of a TV station transmitter - just to see how it works..).

Now I've gotta decide on whether to stay with the OEM 17" Samsung and use a converter box - or - install a recently purchased 19" HD
Emerson (not using the converter box would free-up a bit of space in the A/V cabinet).

If I use the new Emerson I've gotta fabricate an adapter for the R/T's wall mount as the mounting holes are different.

Side note: the Houston North KOA is right at capacity - mostly with folks from Louisiana. I talked to one family and they appeared to be highly irritated that they under a mandatory evacuation and Gustav is turning out to not be as devastating as predicted - oh well, better safe than sorry...
Old 09-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
Silver Member

Default Re: update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskyecho
I talked to one family and they appeared to be highly irritated that they under a mandatory evacuation and Gustav is turning out to not be as devastating as predicted - oh well, better safe than sorry...
And these same folks would likely be the loudest complainers if they weren't forced to evacuate and the storm was another Katrina.
kenking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I'm glad I could get you started with the line of thinking that solves these sort of problems, "W E." And I do think you'll find you are a lot better served with the satellite TV link rather than off-the-air in most places you'll stop.

Regarding Gustav, I thought that too, that those folks will be hard to get moving the next time they're told to evacuate unless the storm wipes the city out, which it was evident it wasn't going to do from many miles off shore. However, our "news" pundits had to exaggerate toward the worst case rather than otherwise, right?.

http://classbforum.com/images/1994%20GMC.jpg
VernM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Re: update

[quote="Whiskyecho"]

"..Now I've gotta decide on whether to stay with the OEM 17" Samsung and use a converter box - or - install a recently purchased 19" HD
Emerson.."quote]

Decision made - I took back the Emerson. The Emerson's wall mount holes are spaced 100mm apart and the Van's wall mount accepts only those with 75mm spacing - so, I could have fabricated an adapter but that idea got me thinking "do I really need a new 19" HD set?" - the answer was "No".

We Tour rather than Camp. Those occasional early nites are filled with DVD movies and/or campground cable hook-ups (basically for news and weather info). The R/T built-in tv antenna is junk but I really don't need it (and if I did need it, I carry along the tv converter box).

So I've saved myself $300 and that makes me a "happy camper".
Old 09-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Hey,
Glad I found this thread. I've been fiddling with the TV hookup in my '02 P, and after looking at your pic, realized my A/B switch was connected incorrectly. I'm adding the Artec ATSC tuner to the mix, and discovered (after buying 2 more A/B switches for the analog bypass) that the middle connection on the A/B switch should be the one outputting to your TV cable in. Mine was wrong, the left postiton on the A/B was outputted to the TV and the pic was almost non-existant. You might want to swap the left and middle cables on the A/B switch and see if it makes a difference to your OTA reception. I did it, and I'm getting some pretty good reception on analog OTA. Haven't had a chance yet to try the external cable in, but I'm also going to try running a cable hookup from the house to the rig. I noticed the external connector by the outside shower looks a bit corroded, so we'll see shortly if it needs to be replaced.

Mike.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
..You might want to swap the left and middle cables on the A/B switch and see if it makes a difference to your OTA reception..
Mike.
Thanks for the input Mike. I'm having a hard time visualizing how the A/B wiring diagram/swap that you're suggesting would work (but I'm not the brightest "electrical thinking" star in the galaxy).

I did mention, didn't I, that I went to the local KOA and they let me use their electrics and cable hook-up - with the cable connection (outside) attached and the left A/B connection (see the white cable in the pic above) going to the tv, the picture was excellent. However when the A/B switch "button" was pushed the picture went to snow (no pic or sound - other than static). So, that's what makes me believe that the R/Ts ota isn't functioning..?

Got a bunch of stuff to do today but will give your suggestion a try as time permits.

I'll report back on the swap..
Old 09-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Your KOA experiment sort of makes sense to me. If the external shore cable signal went into the (middle) switch output connector, and the switch was set to "A", then it would still pass through the switch, (backwards, if you will) and then out the A input connector to your TV. Great cable picture, the result. If you then tried to get OTA by switching the A/B to the "B" position, the TV would back track through the A connector, and the middle connector (connected to shore cable still?)and use that as it's "antenna" connection. Snowy OTA picture the result, because you're not connected to the Roadtrek's built in antenna and signal booster.

Does that make sense? BTW, I needed a flashlight and a magnifying glass to read the position markings on the A/B switch in the TV cabinet, myself. That's when it started making sense. The folks who sold me the RT must have had something else in there (maybe a flat screen?), and removed it, leaving the cables a shambles. The VCR wasn't hooked to anything.
Buyer beware, I guess.

Good luck,
Mike.