Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2010, 12:59 AM   #1

Default Roadtrek vs. PleasureWay vs. Wbago ERA vs. AirStream 3500

A newbie to the B world here. Struggling to choose. Intended use is for mobile office around state of Florida and on weekends grandparents play ground for grandchildren for short 8-12 hour day trips, sleeping quarters not important. Priorities 1) drivability comfort and fuel mileage 2) office setup for table and workspace 3) comfort for the two under age 10 grandkids and grandma.
Roadtrek versus Pleasure Way versus Winnebago ERA versus Airstream Interstate 3500. Did I miss any? All dealers about equal in distance and reliability. Thank you!
jandersonccim@gmail.com
anderjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Roadtrek vs. PleasureWay vs. Wbago ERA vs. AirStream 3500

For easy parking consider the Pleasure-Way Ascent or the Roadtrek SS-Agile. They are the shortest models available on the Sprinter platform. They'll be a bit more fuel efficient also. I think that your grandchildren will have to sit in the rear of the van though - maybe that is not the best.

You need to see them to figure out which will have the best work area for you.

It is a "delightful dilemma" to have. You really need to go and see as many as you can.

I'm a Roadtrek fan but the 2nd row seats in the ERA sure look comfy:

Tough decision. Hopefully someone here has looked into all four and will give their opinion.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

If they're all Sprinter based models you're looking at I don't think much will differ for
gas mileage unless one is significantly lighter than the others. Light, in a Sprinter,
could mean handling issues particularly in cross-wind situations. The Sprinters (I think) are also
naturally a bit taller than those built on Ford/Chrysler/GM cargo vans. The non-Sprinter vans may
feel a bit more stable with their width and shorter height. Makes them less of a sail on the road.
Having said that, the Sprinters haven't had their roofs cut off and replaced with a fibreglass lid.
Might be an advantage structurally, or over time, for leaks, and cracks? I don't know.
New or used? I think class B's generally hold value better than some other types of vehicles,
so you might find a used bargain somewhere like RV Trader. Buy one a few years old, after the
big initial depreciation hit has already happened. We did.
I have no idesa what a mobile office might entail, so you'll have to look at the internal layouts
to decide what might work best, for what you see as essential for a rolling cubicle.
If all things are pretty much equal, I usually let price decide.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
Gold Member

I of course am an RT fan, but the mobile office idea makes me think something that you wouldn't need to convert your table to a bed and back would be a better scenario. Not sure of the details on the exact specific models you are considering but that would be one thought I would keep in mind. On the other hand, I have a few hobbies that require a table and a vice which I use from the front passenger seat rotated towards the back and using a custom built table system. Maybe the standard table for the front would be enough. If that's the case then I recommend anything RT Are you shopping for new or used?

-Mike & Heidi
97 Roadtrek 170P "Taj Ma Trek"
http://WWW.VanTramps.Com
visionquest is offline   Reply With Quote