Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2015, 07:27 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I am sure there will be folks who want the AGM, but for at least some the concern of early failure is an issue. That is why the long warranty showed up in the first place, and is probably more of a concern for those who wanted to spend less up front, as they probably would also be the ones to be concerned about downstream costs.

We will see how it goes. At $20K kicker, that puts the etrek packaged units right up in ARV territory, so it will be interesting to see how that goes for them. Around here, the etreks sit on the lot a long time, it appears, and that is at $150K
i quite frankly am more concerned about mumkins ecotrek issue. as far as i know her's is the first lithium that is not owned by a roadtrek associate.

i do believe lithiums are superior to agm-even my tppl agm-however they also need more TLC than agms-
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:51 PM   #22
Platinum Member

What is up with hers?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:02 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
What is up with hers?

it's dead and all systems dead-
battery related.

don;t know why she started post last night. i think something drained the battery-however with lithium not sure how to read this. you'll find it roadtrekking facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 08-31-2015, 08:11 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Sounds a lot like the BMS shut it all down. She mentioned it was not going to charge off the engine because the battery switch was off, but I wonder if it might. Most of the other models do.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:15 PM   #25
Platinum Member

It brings up and interesting question on a lot of systems with safety protection. If the shut off to protect everything, you have no panel or gauges to know what happens. Battery backup? Power off of van battery?
Old 08-31-2015, 08:17 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sounds a lot like the BMS shut it all down. She mentioned it was not going to charge off the engine because the battery switch was off, but I wonder if it might. Most of the other models do.
i think it will charge off the engine-however she only ran it a 1/2 hour . however i am no expert on BMS.

it went into shutdown to protect the batteries-i think-however i don't know the mechanics with lithium

we tend to think of them in terms of agm's and it doesn't work that way

perhaps a shutdown BMS prevents all charging

i thought the bms prevented certain things- i did not realize it did this by bms shutdown. and all battery cut off?

we should ask Davydd-he has the most experience with this?
Old 08-31-2015, 08:23 PM   #27
Platinum Member

That is my understanding, but I think a lot of this is still getting worked out. Over or under voltage is a battery disconnect. Of course Roadtrek is proprietary, so the fairly dust on the unit could make it totally different.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:37 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
That is my understanding, but I think a lot of this is still getting worked out. Over or under voltage is a battery disconnect. Of course Roadtrek is proprietary, so the fairly dust on the unit could make it totally different.
a battery disconnect to all 12 volt stuff to? hope it doesn't happen often
Old 08-31-2015, 08:46 PM   #29
Platinum Member

And that they have an alternate method of powering the meters and diagnostics.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:52 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
we should ask Davydd-he has the most experience with this?
"Duh, I dunno lady." (As I hold the Samkoon thingamajig.) So, they send this stuff out and the dealers haven't been apprised of the details and operation and given training? And they send customers on their way with a "trust me?" OK, I've gotta hold my tongue.

There is most likely nothing wrong with the batteries or even the BMS. There most likely is a mechanical failure somewhere within all the connections and switches would be my guess if Roadtrek has tested all this stuff as claimed. Why do I think that? Because I've been there.

If Mumkin's lithium 170 is the first on the road I would hope Roadtrek would drop everything and send someone out to personally trouble shoot it.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:59 PM   #31
Platinum Member

An obvious concern would have to be that if you are on the road, no one would be able to even start being able to fix the system. No drawings, explanations, or such. I would hope that Roadtrek has some setup for after hours, on call, techs to cover that kind of thing for all the new tech stuff. I can tell you that essentially all the complicated tech manufacturing equipment we had in manufacturing plants had 24 hour support available, and I used them many times over the years.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:16 PM   #32
Platinum Member

the thing with roadtrek-new products go out with little or any documentation.

lol-i know from experience
Old 08-31-2015, 09:17 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
An obvious concern would have to be that if you are on the road, no one would be able to even start being able to fix the system. No drawings, explanations, or such. I would hope that Roadtrek has some setup for after hours, on call, techs to cover that kind of thing for all the new tech stuff. I can tell you that essentially all the complicated tech manufacturing equipment we had in manufacturing plants had 24 hour support available, and I used them many times over the years.
uhh no----------
Old 08-31-2015, 10:05 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Connie plugged it in 3 hours while running engine generator for an hour-nada-it's either a loose connection like Davydd said,
a defective BMS or

the lithium batteries got so low they are not recoverable.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:07 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Roadtreking: the Group is being nervously stressed once again.

Quote:
Jim Hammill Connie, this online discussion is not advised. Just work with jeff and see what comes, likely the batteries simply need a small adjustment.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:11 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
Connie plugged it in 3 hours while running engine generator for an hour-nada-it's either a loose connection like Davydd said,
a defective BMS or

the lithium batteries got so low they are not recoverable.
If the lithium ion batteries got so low then Roadtrek's system failed. Somehow I doubt that given the fact the batteries were disconnected, the van unused and it was only overnight.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:12 PM   #37
Bronze Member

[QUOTE=Davydd;32306]Roadtreking: the Group is being nervously stressed once again.[

For Hammill, this is a mild response. I hope Connie keeps us in the loop as I have a Zion on order with all the latest tech. I don't trust RT's QC.
sammie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:22 PM   #38
Platinum Member

No surprise in the response, Hammil has been that way on everything. If they can use you for extolling their virtue, you will be his best friend, but look for answers or truthfully state a problem and you start heading for bandom.

I think most folks would be much more impressed by and all out effort to get it fixed as fast and as easily as possible, including (as someone mentioned) getting a tech out to look at it right away, with factory support.

This is new tech that was stated to be the best there is and unmatchable, so they need to make sure they sustain that model. Bad way to start out, to be sure.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:24 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
If the lithium ion batteries got so low then Roadtrek's system failed. Somehow I doubt that given the fact the batteries were disconnected, the van unused and it was only overnight.
I suppose it is possible if the batteries had been discharging the whole time she had it. They are said to hold voltage until they are essentially empty, so possible without metering information, I suppose.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:30 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
I suppose it is possible if the batteries had been discharging the whole time she had it. They are said to hold voltage until they are essentially empty, so possible without metering information, I suppose.
yes she kept reading 13. as booster said they read full voltage until almost empty and go off the cliff. since she had no manual with instructions she had no way of knowing if things were ok.

she's used to agm's and their gradual voltage decrease