Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2015, 01:31 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Roadtrek warranty change?

I just happened to look at the Roadtrek site today and noticed their "news" section, which has a new warranty policy listed as of August 2015, posted on the 25th of August.

Roadtrek Launches Six Year Peace of Mind Warranty | Roadtrek

I think it is mostly the same except it includes appliances now, and it now EXCLUDES the AGM batteries. Does include Ecotrek batteries. The warranty on the batteries was one of the things that Hammill always pushed as reason not to be afraid of etrek style setups, so losing it for AGMs is going to force a lot of folks into the Ecotrek, and of course higher bucks for Roadtrek.

It really isn't surprising, I guess, from what we have seen of the AGM setup. I don't see how they could ever last 6 years if used much at all, and this is probably a good time for Roadtrek to get out of warranty on those type systems going forward. It says it went into effect Aug 1, so I hope they told folks that bought after that they just lost their battery warranty Mumkin just picked hers up, so I hope it is OK.

Just another step toward being the too high priced class b leader, I fear.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:37 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I assume that it is in effect for mine as I have the EcoTrek 200 although, as usual, the manual doesn't include the EcoTrek or the new warranty. But that said, I doubt that I will own it for 6 years anyway. LOL
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:40 AM   #3
Platinum Member

BTW... it is really nice not to have to worry about the batteries running down. With the solar panel, there has been enough sun that it has kept that fancy new lithium battery at 12.9 to 13.2. I won't be taking a trip to test their longevity until next month.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Previous warranty page archived here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150319...-warranty-info

Quote:
APPLIANCES

Warranties are offered on individual appliances by their respective manufacturers.

MOTORHOME

5 year unlimited mileage/km limited warranty is offered by Roadtrek covering the manufacture of the motorhome only (Does not include the chassis).

E-Trek Extended Warranty

6 year unlimited mileage/km limited warranty is offered by Roadtrek covering the manufacture of the motorhome, appliances, electronics, plumbing and batteries (does not include the chassis)
The new Peace of Mind motorhome warranty on the link Booster posted:

Quote:
APPLIANCES

Warranties are offered on individual appliances by their respective manufacturers.

PEACE OF MIND MOTORHOME WARRANTY

Six year unlimited mileage/km, Peace of Mind motorhome warranty, covering the manufacture of the motorhome, appliances, electronics, plumbing and EcoTrek batteries. Original manufactures warranty on all appliances will be applied first. Warranty excludes the complete chassis and AGM batteries which have a normal one year manufacturer’s warranty. Effective on all new units purchased on or after August 1st 2015.

Roadtrek’s six year unlimited mileage/km Peace of Mind warranty is fully transferable from the first owner to the second owner. A warranty transfer card can be found in the back of the models owners manual.
The new warranty looks great (AGM exclusion noted)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:45 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
The new warranty looks great (AGM exclusion noted)
Personally, I think I would agree only if you get the Ecotrek batteries, or very few batteries, comparing to the old warranty. Having to replace eight AGM batteries in an etrek, would be way higher than fixing a few appliances, even if they do fail. It will be interesting to see how they do it, as there wasn't any mention (that I noticed anyway), of if any labor is included. That is often the biggest cost of repairs, and is usually not included. If labor is not included, trading batteries for appliance coverage is not a very good trade.

In six years, it is interesting to guess how much would be covered, though. My guess, totally arbitrary and unsupported, would be.

Onan-if it is considered an appliance-or other covered item. Almost certainly would be in need of service, but most would be denied based on improper care, as the claims are now.

Macerator--one replacement needed, probably half denied do to stuff found in them

Water pump--one replacement needed, if they cover ones that occasionally cycle

Power sofa--probably one repair needed

Frigs, microwaves, AC, TV, chargers, etc, usually would make that long without issue for most folks.

I would guess they were getting killed on the battery replacement part of the old warranty and needed to make it look like the new one is better, rather than just removing the battery coverage for AGM. Most folks don't know that batteries are easy to kill and very expensive to replace, when they go RV shopping the first time, I know we didn't. The everything else warranty will look great, especially if they never saw the old one. The 5 year coverage on the batteries never did make much sense to many of us, as it was a pretty likely failure, especially with the high electric use, no useful monitoring units. No doubt they were wise to get rid of that coverage, especially since no other manufacturers decided to match it.

Now we just need to see how the lithium setups work out!
Old 08-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I just noticed (a little/lot slow today), that the old warranty never really said they covered the batteries on the non etrek models. Was that a Hammil on Facebook thing, or is it written somewhere? I seem to remember someone saying he had expanded it to cover all batteries when folks expressed some concerns.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:19 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I think the RT battery warranty was only on e-trek 6 year warranty. If anyone has looked into this then please let us know.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:53 PM   #8
Platinum Member

It is pretty easy to kill an AGM battery in as little as a year. I know. I've done it and it was easy when relying on one single battery and little control over discharge. Also, Technomadia said their AGM batteries didn't last much longer than that and that was what turned them onto Lithium Ion. Even with their lithium ions I think they severely abused them in a southwest superheated climate, few controls and maybe similar use as their year killing AGMs; yet after 3.5 years they were still 76% efficient. Lithium ion batteries have been improved since Technomadia's initial install, we know a bit more about cold weather, hot weather, depletion and overcharging. If Roadtrek has all the safety stops installed to prevent lithium ion damage I suspect the batteries would easily last through the 6 year warranty. If they do fail then it would probably be from a failure in their electronic systems thus should be warrantable. Also, the lithium ion batteries are in assembled blocks of 3.2 volt cells. If one were bad via manufacturing defect, I think it would not be as big of a hit.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:37 PM   #9
Platinum Member

the reason the ecotrek batteries are warranted like this is roadtrek makes them-or assembles the parts anyways. they'ed have to warranty them.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:43 PM   #10
Platinum Member

They don't make the batteries. That I would bet. Most all the batteries come from China that are being used in RVs. Assembling is simply bundling cells and wiring them together, first, four 3.2v cells in series to make a 12v equivalent battery and then in parallel with others. I would imagine they are using 200ah cells (mainly because of size) similar to what Advanced RV has been using but I think from a different company. Of course they are not drop in batteries like Smart Battery that can be connected and take the place of an AGM in the same space. Both Roadtrek and Advanced RV started out that way.

I don't think they would absolutely have to warrant them but I think they are smart enough to realize they won't sell them otherwise. And like I said, they most likely have a lot more fail-safe controls on them that no one has ever put on AGM batteries.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:05 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
They don't make the batteries. That I would bet. Most all the batteries come from China that are being used in RVs. Assembling is simply bundling cells and wiring them together, first, four 3.2v cells in series to make a 12v equivalent battery and then in parallel with others. I would imagine they are using 200ah cells (mainly because of size) similar to what Advanced RV has been using but I think from a different company. Of course they are not drop in batteries like Smart Battery that can be connected and take the place of an AGM in the same space. Both Roadtrek and Advanced RV started out that way.

I don't think they would absolutely have to warrant them but I think they are smart enough to realize they won't sell them otherwise. And like I said, they most likely have a lot more fail-safe controls on them that no one has ever put on AGM batteries.
Davydd-they buy the cells from china- they do assemble them in a case with the regualtors etc
Old 08-30-2015, 10:20 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
Davydd-they buy the cells from china- they do assemble them in a case with the regualtors etc
Have you actually seen what they assemble? Or is it all proprietary?
Old 08-30-2015, 11:42 PM   #13
Platinum Member

After 2.25 years, and about 38k miles, of E-Trek ownership, I can state the following: 1) I've seen no signs of battery problems so far, and 2) Roadtrek has been very flexible and generous with regard to fixing warranty issues. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but my experience suggests that RT tries their best to make things right.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:34 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Have you actually seen what they assemble? Or is it all proprietary?
Davydd-you saw the pictures of the battery packs back in old posts

of course it's proprietary
Old 08-31-2015, 12:38 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
After 2.25 years, and about 38k miles, of E-Trek ownership, I can state the following: 1) I've seen no signs of battery problems so far, and 2) Roadtrek has been very flexible and generous with regard to fixing warranty issues. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but my experience suggests that RT tries their best to make things right.
Arlo-people have problems with their AGM when they don't take care of them.

always get them to full charge as soon as possible. try to stay over 50 percent-not always possible-make sure fully charged before you let vehicle sit for awhile-

most agms will last longer if they are maintainded-keeping as fully charged as possible=preventing sulfation
Old 08-31-2015, 03:48 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I wonder what they are going to do with the etrek type units that are sitting on the lots with AGM batteries? The hope would be that they grandfather those in to old warranty. I doubt they could upgrade all the way to lithium, but that would certainly be the best choice for all if they don't grandfather them. There have to be a of them out there that this would apply to, and it sure could hurt the dealers sales of them, unless they get some price help from Roadtrek.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:30 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I wonder what they are going to do with the etrek type units that are sitting on the lots with AGM batteries? The hope would be that they grandfather those in to old warranty. I doubt they could upgrade all the way to lithium, but that would certainly be the best choice for all if they don't grandfather them. There have to be a of them out there that this would apply to, and it sure could hurt the dealers sales of them, unless they get some price help from Roadtrek.
Booster-the old fashioned way-CUT TH PRICE.

by the way -mumkin already having problems with her lithium battery

at least i think it's mumkin
Old 08-31-2015, 06:34 PM   #18
Platinum Member

The price cut was part of the question, I guess. If Roadtrek doesn't offer some price help, the dealers are going to wind up taking the hit for the change that Roadtrek did.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:46 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The price cut was part of the question, I guess. If Roadtrek doesn't offer some price help, the dealers are going to wind up taking the hit for the change that Roadtrek did.

an entire lithum battery switchout is about 20,000 dollars. some will want the agm's
Old 08-31-2015, 07:09 PM   #20
Platinum Member

I am sure there will be folks who want the AGM, but for at least some the concern of early failure is an issue. That is why the long warranty showed up in the first place, and is probably more of a concern for those who wanted to spend less up front, as they probably would also be the ones to be concerned about downstream costs.

We will see how it goes. At $20K kicker, that puts the etrek packaged units right up in ARV territory, so it will be interesting to see how that goes for them. Around here, the etreks sit on the lot a long time, it appears, and that is at $150K