Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Roadtrek Water Pump is noisy (groaning) when in use

I haven't asked this one before because it's intermittent.
When I fill/flush the toilet or run water in the sink and the pump is on,
it occasinally groans and makes a fairly loud noise.
It also seems to cycle on (noisy) and off while the water is running.
Is this normal? Is the pump going? It seems to be working, water runs in the sink
and fills the bowl. On our last trip we used the pump and sometimes
it didn't make the noise when we use the water in the toilet, it just fills up quietly.
That''s all the symptoms I can think of.
When I turn off the water source, the noise ceases.

Anyone else ever notice their pump groaning while in use?
Old 04-22-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
Silver Member

Default Re: Roadtrek Water Pump is noisy (groaning) when in use

As far as I know Roadtrek only uses the Shurflo water pumps in their class Bs. I have never heard one that was quiet. Most I would classify as noisy. after 4-years of use, we decided to instal a Flojet VSD water pump in ours, and it is much quieter. It also pumps better, especially when you are showering in the RT, which we do frequently. It was a good investment for us.
FMCA #376666
Barman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I was concerned it was going to explode, if I ran the water long enough.
So, yours was on the noisy side, too? So I'm not in imminent danger of shrapnel wounds
due to a noisy water pump?
Was the Flojet VSD the same footprint? I have a 2002 190P, and the pump is under the
driver's side bed near the front of the van, next to the water heater. It's a Shurflo, according
to my manual. Not very big actually.
Might be worth looking into doing what you did, replacing it.
Where did you pick it up? CW? I may be able to find one up here, somewhere.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:50 AM   #4
Silver Member

I'm sure that yours is probably just fine, as long as you don't mind the noise. We purchased our Flojet 4.5 VSD from Camping World, but online clearance sale. It does fit in the very same space as or Shurflo did, but some of the holes did not line up so I had to do new ones. I will tell you that it isn't fun doing the job just because of tight quarters. Tight quarters for you not the pump. If I was tripple jointed, it would have been pretty easy. All that said, I am very glad I did it. If you would like pictures, send me your e-mail address and I will send you before and after pictures of the job. my e-mail is csdebarr@gmail.com
FMCA #376666
Barman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:22 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Thanks Steve/Chris. I did a bit more internet searching and found some similar comments
about Shurflo pumps. Seems the cycling might be a flow blockage, as they're set to stop at
45 psi pressure. So I may run some more vinegar thru it as julievojo suggested last year.
It did seem to help it to not groan then whisper over and over again for a little while. It also
said too many elbows, and some types of tubing, might also create enough flow back pressure
that it would cause cycling on and off a lot, but at least now I have something to work on.

I don't think there are any CW's up here in Ontario (or Canada?) so I'd have to order online
or find a local retailer. I think I'll try to see if I can improve the flow and reduce the back
pressure in the water system first. Then see if I need to consider swapping in a different
pump.

Again thanks for the comments. Very useful. And comforting.
I'm curious about the pump work you did and will PM you my email.
I can see it would be awkward to get at in my case, too.
Thanks.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:07 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Just completed Shurflo water pump repairs 101.
It just stopped working last week, still noisy, but no throughput, just before a planned outing.
Took it to Don's Trailer in Waterloo just down the street from the Roadtrek factory, fearing the worst.
I learned how to take a Shurflo 2088-403-144 apart, and clean a seriously mucked up filter.
The pump head/filter assembly (the little whitish opaque plastic flying saucer looking thing
that sits below and towards the inside of the van, in my '02 190P with a pex pipe screwed onto it)
can be removed by first unscrewing the pex pipe connected to it, and then just unscrewing it,
as it's threaded on, like the pex pipes, and is just screwed on to the side of the pump motor.
I just remembered this
CAVEAT: Drain your fresh water tank down first, to reduce the mess when you take it apart,
or get some sort of pan underneath it, as it will try to drain into your van.!!!
Then, by applying some compression and twisting at the same time the halves separate revealing the
offending filter which can then be cleaned and replaced, to increase water pump efficiency dramatically.

Thus endeth my lesson.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
Platinum Member

That's good info Mike. I really like it when a professional doesn't mind sharing the "how to fix it info" with a customer who wants to learn.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
Platinum Member

At Don's Trailer Service (in Kitchener Waterloo) they've shown me the problem, and
the fix, in all cases so far, including back in March when my genset died. Gave me a
demo of genset 101 and showed me where the wire had corroded off the starter solenoid
and what they did to fix it.
All the guys who work there are friendly and extremely knowledgable. If you're ever
having a problem in that area of Ontario (Southwestern) and you have your choice of
where to go for repairs, I'd choose them every time.
Mobilife which is just a few miles away would be a strong second choice for their
email support and detailed Q&A. I haven't been to them yet, but if Don's TS was too busy
to get me in (their shop was packed with other "projects" yesterday, but they squeezed
me in after lunch) I would try Mobilife. They seem to know their stuff too.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:40 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Great detective work! I'll definitely keep this one handy, as our water pump started making a new noise, but when it stops pumping. Water flows just fine, but it sure sounds like its getting ready to give it up!

Dan F.

By the way, the reason I had the pump on at all -- stopped at a campground where the water connection was 60' from the campsite, all downhill. By the time the water got to the inlet, it was a trickle. There wasn't enough pressure to get from inlet (even without a filter) up the remaining way to sink etc. I had a few gallons in the fresh water tank just in case, so on went the pump and out came this new noise.
arrveedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:44 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Hi Dan,
As far as I can figure, a little groaning noise while running the Shurflo 2088 pump is pretty
common/normal, even though the Shurflo website says,
"SHURflo engineering at its finest. These potable water pumps are self-priming and employ three independent pumping chambers to pump water smoothly and quietly. Built-in check valves rated to 200 psi prevent backflow into the tank. They can even run dry without damage. Thermally Protected. CE version available."

So, the Shurflo has safeguards to shut it down if a real problem exists, like excess heat to the motor casing.
The santoprene components, like the diaphragm, are resistant to damage by many types of fluids including
vinegar and bleach.
I find that ours, once switched on and primed, stops groaning. Then when we add water to the bowl,
or flush the toilet, or run the sink tap, it starts grrrrrowling again.
As I said, I think this noise is sort of the norm. Now that mine is cleaned, and allowing unobstructed
flow, I'll see if the sound pattern changes, and post up any noticeable variations in this thread.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #11
Silver Member

What you hear (the groan) is normal. When you turn the tap on the pump will cycle on and off building pressure.

Steve
V10
Steve_Guelph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Just so I'm clear on this....the water pump SHOULD turn off and on while in use..correct? Here is what ours does....when turning on the sink faucet on low it surges, when using the foot pedal for the toilet it runs continuosly while holding it down, when using the shower or running the sink faucets on high it runs continuously. If this is NOT normal...what could be the problem??
Y IZ IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #13
Platinum Member

You are correct. As Steve says, the pump should only make noise (groan/growl) when under demand for
water. As I recently found out, (including how to take one apart (Shurflo) and clean the filter) my pump
made noise continuously when I switched it on at the monitor panel, because it was trying to self-
prime and couldn't pull enough water through a badly clogged filter. Now, it only makes a
noise when I step on the toilet water/flush pedals or use any other water source (sink/shower).
I also tend to leave it switched on overnight in case either of us has to get up, and it is quiet
until called upon.