Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2015, 06:34 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: Roadtrek Zion - Promaster based Class B Motorhome

I like those fresh, grey and black tank capacities. I wish Winnebago would get bigger tanks.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:51 PM   #22
Platinum Member

If they are doing the fresh water the way the now do on other models, it will include the water heater 6 gallons. The don't say "tank" size but fresh water capacity, so that is probably the case. The 35 winds up at 29 gallons then, but that is still a nice amount of fresh water.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:57 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
The Zion is up on Roadtrek's site now:

http://www.roadtrek.com/models/zion/
It is still rather sparse. It doesn't list any options and prices as it does on the other units. Odd that their photo shows it a gold color, but lists only silver as exterior color. The dealer order form gives 5 colors. Apparently, they are holding off on options until they get caught up with current orders from dealers. Most of the dealers like Van City and Lake Region have ordered 3... one in each of the usual Roadtrek interior colors.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:16 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Oh no! I just looked at the site again and realized that they painted the fake windows over the cab. Yuck!. I liked the real windows there in the older models but not painted on. I wonder how much to delete.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #25
Bronze Member

If by over cab you mean the front 3 windows they will be decals just like on the sprinter vans. I thing the GM chassis are the only ones with real windows over cab..??
rclemins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin
Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
The Zion is up on Roadtrek's site now:

http://www.roadtrek.com/models/zion/
It is still rather sparse. It doesn't list any options and prices as it does on the other units. Odd that their photo shows it a gold color, but lists only silver as exterior color. The dealer order form gives 5 colors. Apparently, they are holding off on options until they get caught up with current orders from dealers. Most of the dealers like Van City and Lake Region have ordered 3... one in each of the usual Roadtrek interior colors.

the 5 color options are listed at the end of the chassis spec list

since i had one ordered already i can tell you that all the options are listed in yellow in the specs section that is on the site already-however the msrp
are not. the only thing not made clear is the faux leather package which is front chairs and back couches/bed. 2300 dollars msrp

however any dealer can e-mail you a current build sheet with msrp options on it. i had one e-mailed to me before we ordered

the 1 400 amp battery listed is not actually 400 amp hours. the 400 in battery name refers to reserve capacity. the Northstar sms 400 agm is a tppl battery that is 186 amps.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:27 PM   #27
Platinum Member

I think they had to paint the three windows in, due to the unibody construction. They had to do the same with the Sprinter.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Why paint or decal fake windows on at all?
Old 02-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Brand recognition. I spotted a van the other day at a gas station - immediately knew it was a Roadtrek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:05 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
the 5 color options are listed at the end of the chassis spec list
Thanks... just shows that I had never figured out how to read their new website in the first place.

My dealer already sent me the order sheet. I'm looking to downsize, but would like to get under 20 ft...

decisions decisions...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:16 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
I think they had to paint the three windows in, due to the unibody construction. They had to do the same with the Sprinter.
mlts22 is correct. They won't let them saw into the unibody that much. The Transit models will be the same when they come onboard.

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #32
Platinum Member

The Zion is certainly a fine looking rv with excellent quality from the pics. My only concern is the small wet bath. I mean, that is small. I survive in my PW Plateau TS but in that I would be stuck and would need to be rescued ie pulled out. I am 6ft 1inch 18lbs so I am not WIDE either.
Just saying...
PS My wife want a C class with a dry bath anyway so I am looking at 22 to 24 ft models.
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:19 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpaddler1
The Zion is certainly a fine looking rv with excellent quality from the pics. My only concern is the small wet bath. I mean, that is small. I survive in my PW Plateau TS but in that I would be stuck and would need to be rescued ie pulled out. I am 6ft 1inch 18lbs so I am not WIDE either.
Just saying...
PS My wife want a C class with a dry bath anyway so I am looking at 22 to 24 ft models.

Wow fastpaddler1, 18lbs. You're skinny!!

Old 02-11-2015, 08:09 AM   #34
Platinum Member

The Zion's specs look like it would well accommodate someone up to 6' 1". The bed is 74" wide by 76" long, both the refrigerator and the microwave are raised so that they're above counter level, and the inside height is 74 (6' 2"). I especially like the way that the appliances are mounted so that they're close to eye-level for a tall person. They might be a reach for someone who's short, however.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zion Appliances.jpg (126.4 KB, 816 views)
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:19 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay
Quote:
mlts22 is correct. They won't let them saw into the unibody that much. The Transit models will be the same when they come onboard.

Aren't most of these guys cutting out the sides and installing aftermarket side-windows? I just think that front area is more problematic to install windows and not have it leak. Plus you loose that storage area and the cab headliner. On the Chevies, they molded those caps with the windows cutouts years ago. They are cutting off the van's roof anyways and installing the cap.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay
Quote:

Aren't most of these guys cutting out the sides and installing aftermarket side-windows? I just think that front area is more problematic to install windows and not have it leak. Plus you loose that storage area and the cab headliner. On the Chevies, they molded those caps with the windows cutouts years ago. They are cutting off the van's roof anyways and installing the cap.

On the side windows yes, but they are cutting between the vertical braces so there's no loss of structural integrity. You can't cut into the front of the roof on these unibody vans, ProMaster, Sprinter & Transit without cutting through some braces..
The Chevy has a separate frame that the body mounts on. That's where it gets most of it's strength. The Nissan full size NV is the same way

Old 02-13-2015, 02:14 PM   #37
Platinum Member

We got to see the show touring (and it looked it) Zion at the Minneapolis show yesterday. Won't comment on build quality because it is such an early, and abused, unit.

We didn't particularly care for the floor plan, but that is personal choice. The floor to ceiling all down the driver side is not our preference, and we like having a window area in the middle of that side, like the older Chevies and Dodges.

The Zion had the twin couches in the back, with drawers underneath, like the older Dodge Roadtreks had. Power couch on the drivers side to close it off. Nice for big stuff, but then that stuff would have to be outside when you slept. The dealer didn't care for the setup and said the Zions he will get will have an across the back couch. We would agree with that.

Nice frig, microwave a bit high for 4' 11" tall DW. Would prefer the sink and cooktop be arranged to give more counter space, as the flip up blocks the door.

Really disliked the combination curtain and screen. Can't have slider window open in the rain. The knobs on the cabinets are very small and force fairly large, so if you have any arthritis in you hands, it could be a bit difficult to open.

We don't like dark interiors, but the white was not impressive at all. Wish they would do the interior in a color like the kitchen base you can see through the door in the pic a few posts earlier.

Certainly not a bad B, but also nothing that jumped out making it a "must have", either, for us.

Roadtrek certainly seems to be positioning the Zion to take over for the Chevy models, as the Chevy 190 prices have been increased to be about the same as the Zion at right around $100K. Both seem to be a bit overpriced at that number, IMO.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
We got to see the show touring (and it looked it) Zion at the Minneapolis show yesterday. Won't comment on build quality because it is such an early, and abused, unit.

We didn't particularly care for the floor plan, but that is personal choice. The floor to ceiling all down the driver side is not our preference, and we like having a window area in the middle of that side, like the older Chevies and Dodges.

The Zion had the twin couches in the back, with drawers underneath, like the older Dodge Roadtreks had. Power couch on the drivers side to close it off. Nice for big stuff, but then that stuff would have to be outside when you slept. The dealer didn't care for the setup and said the Zions he will get will have an across the back couch. We would agree with that.

Nice frig, microwave a bit high for 4' 11" tall DW. Would prefer the sink and cooktop be arranged to give more counter space, as the flip up blocks the door.

Really disliked the combination curtain and screen. Can't have slider window open in the rain. The knobs on the cabinets are very small and force fairly large, so if you have any arthritis in you hands, it could be a bit difficult to open.

We don't like dark interiors, but the white was not impressive at all. Wish they would do the interior in a color like the kitchen base you can see through the door in the pic a few posts earlier.

Certainly not a bad B, but also nothing that jumped out making it a "must have", either, for us.

Roadtrek certainly seems to be positioning the Zion to take over for the Chevy models, as the Chevy 190 prices have been increased to be about the same as the Zion at right around $100K. Both seem to be a bit overpriced at that number, IMO.
tell us what you really think Booster

several of the things you dislike are things we love.what can i say.

if i already had a b i would not be jumping out to buy it either. since i don't this is the one the wife love's and therfore i love it
Old 02-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
Exactly why they make a bunch of different brands and models!

Not intended to sound overly negative, as I think there would be a similar list on any of the models from anyone, and the Zion looks to do most things well, but not spectacularly, so those don't get listed. If we were forced to decide between a Zion and new Pleasurway Lexor or the Travato, I think the Zion would win at this point. When you are dealing with stock build units, you will love some stuff and not like others. The same was true when we went shopping in the 2006-2007 time frame. We chose the 190P as the unit with the best balance of like, not like, certainly not because with thought it was ideal. The amount of modifications that have been done to ours would support that theory! One of the interesting things is that 190P floorplan, with the kitchen counter and window in the middle of aisle area made my moderately claustrophobic wife very comfortable, where the units with a floor to ceiling wall on that side and an open kitchen on the other side made her quite uncomfortable, so that was big influence in out choice, and limited the choices a lot. Kind of similar to your decision process.

I do think it will sell pretty well, as it is substantially less expensive than anything else Roadtrek offers, except the Chevies and they will be going away. There are a lot folks out there that want to buy the Roadtrek brand, but were priced out by the Sprinters, I think. The very price sensitive are going to wind up at Winnbago, or maybe Hymer when they spool up, as Roadtrek, Pleasure-way, Great West, etc probably won't be able to match the price point.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:02 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
Quote:
Exactly why they make a bunch of different brands and models!

Not intended to sound overly negative, as I think there would be a similar list on any of the models from anyone, and the Zion looks to do most things well, but not spectacularly, so those don't get listed. If we were forced to decide between a Zion and new Pleasurway Lexor or the Travato, I think the Zion would win at this point. When you are dealing with stock build units, you will love some stuff and not like others. The same was true when we went shopping in the 2006-2007 time frame. We chose the 190P as the unit with the best balance of like, not like, certainly not because with thought it was ideal. The amount of modifications that have been done to ours would support that theory! One of the interesting things is that 190P floorplan, with the kitchen counter and window in the middle of aisle area made my moderately claustrophobic wife very comfortable, where the units with a floor to ceiling wall on that side and an open kitchen on the other side made her quite uncomfortable, so that was big influence in out choice, and limited the choices a lot. Kind of similar to your decision process.

I do think it will sell pretty well, as it is substantially less expensive than anything else Roadtrek offers, except the Chevies and they will be going away. There are a lot folks out there that want to buy the Roadtrek brand, but were priced out by the Sprinters, I think. The very price sensitive are going to wind up at Winnbago, or maybe Hymer when they spool up, as Roadtrek, Pleasure-way, Great West, etc probably won't be able to match the price point.

we are paying cash for the zion- it was not a price issue although the wife and I a usually pretty frugal. in all honesty i don't like sprinters