Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2017, 10:51 PM   #401
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Yes it certainly could be done by shunting from the common ground and actually there is shunt shifting technology that would permit installing the shunt on the plus side if that was more accessible. You would have accurate hands off voltage and amperage information displayed. The complication is that an accurate SOC reading depends upon setting your total ah capacity during meter setup. With a Roadtrek, if your battery profile was always the same, the SOC reading would be accurate. But each time you take some of the batteries off line or put batteries on line (which for better or worse is recommended by Roadrtrek) you would have to reset the ah capacity to maintain a coherent SOC reading which is certainly doable, but Murphy's law will guarantee the potential for a lot of confusion.

IMO, Roadtrek's failure to include the provision of coherent SOC metering is a serious shortcoming and as far as I know, there is no cost effective aftermarket bandage to fix it.
You also have the issue that most of the meters look at amps to or from the batteries to check for full, so depending on how many modules were on, they may or may not reset (100% calibration point) the meter. This doesn't mean it couldn't be done if they wanted to. IMO, they don't want anyone to see how inefficient they are, parasitic wise, or how little run time the can actually provide. Of course Roadtrek has never had anything resembling an accurate battery meter, except the short lived Coachnet setup that didn't work.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:13 PM   #402
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
There is no real integration of the three charging sources and the Ecotrek battery modules and the AGM battery, everything operates independently. You can get a remote display for the solar controller which allows you to monitor operation but you are discouraged from changing the configuration of the solar controller.
Perhaps it depends on how "integration" is defined. If the three independent charging independently have the same charging profiles I have no problem characterizing them as integrated or at least coordinated. What concerns me more is whether they actually are integrated or coordinated. No owner manual is supplied. It's a Tracer MPPT controller built by EPSOLAR in Belijing. The manual I downloaded shows default settings for flooded cell, sealed and Gel. There is no mention of a default setting for Lithium. The boost and float voltages can be manually inputted but there is no indication of whether float voltage can be suspended which you would want for lithium applications.

There is no CONUS technical or customer support number for the OEM. You have to call China. Since my Chinese hasn't advanced beyond Gung Hey Fat Choi, I'm not inclined to do that. So far I haven't found a domestic supplier that can provide some clarification on the charging profiles.

I'm familiar with that remote. The anecdotal reports on it are not consistent. Some claim it the best thing since sliced toast; others consider it inaccurate, difficult to use and of little overall value. Roadtrek's decision to not provide the remote was IMO arguably a wise one considering the penchant some folks have to diddle with equipment settings without any understanding of the expensive consequences and in the case of lithiums which could result in irreversible damage that would ruin your whole financial day.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:14 PM   #403
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Yes. It's really off-topic for my group. I told you to read all my posts on it on the blog.

My 600AH Lithionics battery ships on Wednesday. It will replace the 4 125AH Stark batteries I have in it now.
i did read you blog. however i could not find out why?
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:20 PM   #404
Platinum Member

I haven't been keeping up on all this stuff, but I thought you were a happy Stark user in the Travato. Why not in the Alegro?
Old 01-09-2017, 11:25 PM   #405
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
i did read you blog. however i could not find out why?
I'm going to California for 2 years for some projects I've got lined up. It's too far to travel back home to SC very often.

So while I'm out there, I need a place to live, but also want to do some weekend and vacation trips. This motorhome kills two birds with one stone.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:27 PM   #406
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes. It's really off-topic for my group. I told you to read all my posts on it on the blog.

My 600AH Lithionics battery ships on Wednesday. It will replace the 4 125AH Stark batteries I have in it now.

Why wincrasher?

Thanks.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:30 PM   #407
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I haven't been keeping up on all this stuff, but I thought you were a happy Stark user in the Travato. Why not in the Alegro?
I am.

I have these 4 Stark Batteries in the RV right now. They are going into my Tug as house batteries when my "big" lithionics battery shows up.

I do have some space constraints in the Tiffin. I wanted the biggest battery I could fit in the space I have, yet I wanted a simple wiring setup and a central BMS. The Lithionics is not really any more expensive than the Starks of the same capacity, yet I get the simplification/integration and a better BMS. Plus a significant warranty. It also didn't hurt that I got a killer deal on it - much less than the published prices you see.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:54 PM   #408
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm going to California for 2 years for some projects I've got lined up. It's too far to travel back home to SC very often.

So while I'm out there, I need a place to live, but also want to do some weekend and vacation trips. This motorhome kills two birds with one stone.
What a life. When you die you won't say you were bored-assuming you do die someday.-lol
Old 01-10-2017, 12:00 AM   #409
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
What a life. When you die you won't say you were bored-assuming you do die someday.-lol
LOL. I plan on living forever.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:31 AM   #410
Platinum Member

Quote:
LOL. I plan on living forever.
I need to contact whoever sold you this generous unlimited warranty.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:41 AM   #411
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Why wincrasher?

Thanks.

Bud
Wincrasher's Facebook group is about Class B RVs. Anything else would essentially breaking the group rules. Wincrasher's group pretty much came about because another so called Class B group fast went off kilter with Class C discussions and some called out the admin about that and got booted.

Booting is a popular pastime on Facebook.

Come on to my Facebook group and post a cheeseburger and I would boot you.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:09 AM   #412
Platinum Member

Quote:
You also have the issue that most of the meters look at amps to or from the batteries to check for full, so depending on how many modules were on, they may or may not reset (100% calibration point) the meter. This doesn't mean it couldn't be done if they wanted to. IMO, they don't want anyone to see how inefficient they are, parasitic wise, or how little run time the can actually provide. Of course Roadtrek has never had anything resembling an accurate battery meter, except the short lived Coachnet setup that didn't work.
Greg suggested contacting Dan Neeley, a very qualified independent RT technician and in response to my query regarding this Dan responded:

"As for the question, I installed a Trimetric on an RT with 4 AGM batteries. This required a significant amount of labor and a lot of large cable to accomplish. Basically, removing discrete grounds and going to one common ground. You may want to also consider using perhaps multiple separate Trimetrics for electrical different battery banks."

What surprised me was that the same metering SOC problem is not exclusive to lithium equipped coaches. It also exists for AGMs which are hard wired in parallel electrically but still employing discrete grounds which must be rewired for a common ground to permit a correct meter SOC. But unlike the lithium set up it never requires recalibrating the meter since there is no option to take individual batteries on or off line.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:14 AM   #413
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Greg suggested contacting Dan Neeley, a very qualified independent RT technician and in response to my query regarding this Dan responded:

"As for the question, I installed a Trimetric on an RT with 4 AGM batteries. This required a significant amount of labor and a lot of large cable to accomplish. Basically, removing discrete grounds and going to one common ground. You may want to also consider using perhaps multiple separate Trimetrics for electrical different battery banks."

What surprised me was that the same metering SOC problem is not exclusive to lithium equipped coaches. It also exists for AGMs which are hard wired in parallel electrically but still employing discrete grounds which must be rewired for a common ground to permit a correct meter SOC. But unlike the lithium set up it never requires recalibrating the meter since there is no option to take individual batteries on or off line.
Not really that surprising if you look at the older Roadtreks for history, I think. Our 07 C190P had two batteries and two separate grounds, so basically the same issue. It all depends on how spread out they are. I think the Chevies would now have them in 3 locations for the 190s, don't know about the 210s. The Sprinters would likely have two under the hood and two in the back for 4 batteries, so would take big time wiring, I think. We have discussed mulitple meters quite often on the forum since Roadtrek came out with the big, unmonitored systems.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:27 AM   #414
Platinum Member

Quote:
Not really that surprising if you look at the older Roadtreks for history, I think. Our 07 C190P had two batteries and two separate grounds, so basically the same issue. It all depends on how spread out they are. I think the Chevies would now have them in 3 locations for the 190s, don't know about the 210s. The Sprinters would likely have two under the hood and two in the back for 4 batteries, so would take big time wiring, I think. We have discussed mulitple meters quite often on the forum since Roadtrek came out with the big, unmonitored systems.
On the current Chevy 210 800ECO we could only find three batteries nestled in where the Onan used to reside. With regard to the fourth one, we were prepared to complain to the DA until we finally spotted it way up forward under the driver seat. I wonder where they plant all the Warp Core 1600ah batteries.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #415

I emailed RT and asked

"Is there any hope/plans to reduce the 60W continuous draw when batteries are on? "

they replied

"Yes, we are continuing to look for ways to reduce the draw, but there is no time line on when anything new/approved will be introduced."
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:39 PM   #416
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post
I emailed RT and asked

"Is there any hope/plans to reduce the 60W continuous draw when batteries are on? "

they replied

"Yes, we are continuing to look for ways to reduce the draw, but there is no time line on when anything new/approved will be introduced."
so much for improvements-lol
Old 01-11-2017, 10:18 PM   #417
Platinum Member

Quote:
It seems like multiple batteries on a class B pretty much guarantees that they will be spread out. The Smartgauge analysis for providing optimum battery balancing seems to require both battery proximity and cable symmetry. With some batteries having cables several feet long, how is this practically accomplished?

SmartGauge Electronics - Interconnecting multiple batteries to form one larger bank
Old 01-11-2017, 11:13 PM   #418
Platinum Member

Spread out? It seems one judges what one company has problems with. My 800ah of lithium ion batteries are in one discreet insulated box with one BMS.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:07 AM   #419
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Spread out? It seems one judges what one company has problems with. My 800ah of lithium ion batteries are in one discreet insulated box with one BMS.

How much again did your van cost? lol
Old 01-12-2017, 12:19 AM   #420
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post

Now that's a classy installation

Is the outside container metal or plastic?

Do you know if ARV employs the battery cable balancing arrangement described by Smartgauge?