Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2015, 03:08 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default RoadTrek's EcoTrek

From an announcement on their FB group today:

It's here.....Roadtrek is pleased to announce our newest Technology to allow you to become Energy independent in your vehicle. You can travel without plugging in. You can run everything. You can automatically charge using your solar, and your engine generator using VoltTrek, our latest designed automatic Engine starter, while you are out hiking, dining or sleeping. Just push the switch and the engine will start when your power modules hit 11.2 volts. Your EcoTrek Power Module will hold your power, and your VoltTrek will top it off when needed due to heavy usage. So your pup or your cat will be protected. No key in the ignition. It's in your pocket and your unit is grounded without it.
You can buy your Roadtrek with 200 Amp hours of Lithium Ion Power, or 400, 800, and 1600.
You can buy units with mass solar systems from 200 to 650 watts depending on the size of the unit.
You can combine these into EcoTrek ETrek packages on all Mercedes and 210 Models. 200 amp hours is about seventy lbs, and Our EcoTrek technology allows you to use 90% of available power before you have voltage loss. You will get up to 3000 cycles from our EcoTrek modules. Basically you will never need new batteries unless you live in your unit for more than ten years full time.
Oh I forgot to mention this part. They charge incredibly fast. Our EcoTrek system allows you to charge them at 300 amps and it will automatically protect them. So imagine and remember that time you let your batteries die? And you had to wait 18 hours to charge them? How about twenty minutes to be up and running. really. Or less.
These systems are the future of ROADTREKING and I am pleased to tell you they are available for sale as of tomorrow.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:05 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I would imagine this is a direct response to losing #1 in the Class B Marketplace- Maybe pushed it out sooner then planned, hopefully all the kinks are worked out. It sounds exiting, if only the RT interiors could be more modern like the Travato. That kind of power system on the "EcoTrek" could allow me to sacrifice on the interior design and quality.
eurovanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:08 AM   #3
Site Team

Just out of curiosity, how do these "remote start with no key" systems work? Do they put a key chip near the sensor or is there some OEM-sanctioned way to do it?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:10 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I know Ford's remote start system has its own antenna ring that goes around the ignition switch, and is programmed into the computer just like any other key.

As for the EcoTrek system, it seems to have some merit, especially with it doing just what I was doing with a generator controller -- start a generator (or in the EcoTrek's case, fire up the engine) when the batteries get low. For people in northern climates, this will be handy.

I just wonder how much retrofitting it would take. You can't just drop 12 volt lead acid batteries and shove in a bank of lithium batteries unless you want "boom" to happen.

As for me, I'm still going to stick with a generator, but it makes me wonder about adding an autostart mechanism for the engine in case of generator failure. Of course, I don't really need data center grade, n+1 redundant power systems in a van, but it is nice to have that as an option.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:54 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurovanman View Post
I would imagine this is a direct response to losing #1 in the Class B Marketplace- Maybe pushed it out sooner then planned, hopefully all the kinks are worked out. It sounds exiting, if only the RT interiors could be more modern like the Travato. That kind of power system on the "EcoTrek" could allow me to sacrifice on the interior design and quality.
This is what Mike Wendland & Campskunk have been running around beta testing for the last year or so.
Very high $$$$

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Jim mentioned $1 per watt hour for the batteries as an example. If accurate, that's about 4 x AGM cost.

A 400 ah lithium battery bank at around $4,800 would be very useful in the Zion for example. I think he later included the Zion in the mix of units that can have this technology.

Fun times in the B world
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:24 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Can someone please post link to FB page with this new info; I cannot find it.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:30 PM   #8
Platinum Member

It's not on Roadtrek's page yet. It's on Roadtreking - https://www.facebook.com/groups/road...7258052433179/
Old 06-23-2015, 12:40 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Found it. A lot of dead links out there, if you use Google.

From JH on $:

"Let's say EcoTrek 200 is 2.56 kW hrs. And it's 2490 bucks MSRP. Less than a dollar a Watt MSRP. (Note my excessive use of that term) A typical AGM battery has 350- 500 cycles and this one has 3000 cycles. This one allows you to use 90 percent of available power. This one will run your unit all day. This one, depending on your unit, can be added to existing systems. Would it be possible to do this at the dealer near you? Yes. If your unit can be adapted. Let's be practical here folks. I can't sit here and answer dozens of questions on this as every unit will be different. A dealer could install this in two hours labour. So is it worth it? Me, I think so. So think about it. It's not a battery. It's a integrated system that allows you to use it in all climates. It is tested rigorously. It's safe. It's going to be the last power system you buy.. And you can likely throw away that 30 amp cable."

JH comment on "MSRP" - does it seem like actual pricing may be less??

Zion:

"The Zion is already so far in front of any competition I can't imagine how it would be a second choice. However. Up to EcoTrek 400 is an option choice as of tommorow."

One word of caution from JH re: everyone calling dealers in am re: new or retrofit:

"No, please don't call the dealer in the am. Give them a chance to read my stuff. Call the next day. Otherwise it's just chaos."

Yes, exciting times in Class B. Will be interesting to see how competitors respond. MLTS22 - thanks for picking up on this.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Competitors will probably just wait and see if there's much buying interest. There will be discussion interest but will it translate into sales?

Expensive Class B's getting more expensive might just mean fewer buyers.

It is fun and exciting to read about though.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:06 PM   #11
Platinum Member

my wife and i drive by buffalo twice a year-just 90 mnutes from kitchener-i have asked for a price to have 400 amps ecotrek on the zion and the voltrek-i will post price when i know-do i need it-probably not-do i want it -yes-lol
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:16 PM   #12
Platinum Member

If I had a new Zion I'd be very tempted to bite the bullet and get it done soon while they offer to do upgrades.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:36 PM   #13
Platinum Member

It will be very interesting to see how they do the upgrades, and what they include for the $1 per watt hour price. Getting retrofits to be able to charge them quickly is going to require engine generators a all the big wiring to go with them, so the price will climb quickly, I would think. Same true on the discharge side, if you want to be able to "run all your stuff all the time" you will need a larger inverter.

What is too bad is that we almost certainly will get no details of how the system is put together, with the normal proprietary excuse, which is too bad. All the discussions here on the lithium systems and controls points out how much varying information there is out there.

It does seem to sound like it is a "smart battery" type setup, intended as a drop in replacement.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:39 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Nothing new here that I don't already have in my Advanced RV. I'm curious about the details of their system and how it compares.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:43 PM   #15
Platinum Member

In the long FB thread on this, it appears that RT has given considerable thought to the retrofit market, including the SS Agile. Aside from actual installed pricing, it will be interesting to see how the retrofits pan out in reality. Good luck, Gerry, hope you are near the top of the retrofit list.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #16
Platinum Member

It will also be interesting to see if they sell it as non installed part.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Do RV warranties - like RT's 5 year, unlimited mileage - typically cover items like the batteries and energy management system?

Would RT give a warranty on a retro-fit?
Old 06-23-2015, 02:19 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Looks like:

EcoTrek 200 - 4 lithium batteries - 200AH
EcoTrek 400 - 8 lithium batteries - 400AH
EcoTrek 800 - 16 lithium batteries - 800AH
EcoTrek 1600 - 32 lithium batteries - 1600AH

Chad from American RV posted this link to a new 210P with the new stuff: http://americanrv.com/rv-detail/2015...ek-210-popular

Window sticker PDF: http://americanrv.com/sites/american...iles/10324.pdf
Old 06-23-2015, 02:47 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Don't mean to change the topic (which is very very interesting), but someone mentioned that Roadtrek is no longer number one in B's? I hadn't read anything about that... so who is number one then? Just curious...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:49 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Like the 20+% discount from MSRP.

Interesting that Roadtrek doc says 5 year limited warranty and within the solar paragraph, it says 6 year limited motorhome warranty.

?? Wonder what the limited portion is for and is the 6 year for only the solar/battery portion??

Time to read the fine print.