Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #1

Default Robertson Screwdrivers

We just bought a new (old) Roadtrek and looked to see which model of the each appliance is installed as the owner manuals cover several models. We found all original screws are the Robertson type and I was able to use a 7/64 hex to unscrew most of them. However, the wood panels over the furnace have worn screwheads and I have no tool that will turn them.

Now I'm looking for the appropriate Robertson screwdriver(s) - I'm not interested in buying bits or bit sets. From what I find online, Robertson #1 green looks the size that fit my 7/64 hex? I see most Robertson screwdrivers fit two or three Robertson screw sizes - can anyone advise me whether the #1 will turn a slightly larger (worn) square head?

Last question - All I've seen so far in our Roadtrek is the same size Robertson screw (and I read the green screwdriver is most often used for electrics) but can anyone tell me, before I buy the screwdrivers online, if other Robertson screw sizes were used in the old Roadtreks? Thanks!!
Kanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Robertson Screwdrivers

The common sizes are #1, #2 & #3. You can think of them as:

#1 = small
#2 = medium
#3 = large

Both #1 and #2 can be used for electrical related work.

#2 is the most often used by far. It is very commonly used.

My guess for a Roadtrek would be #1 Green and #2 Red.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg robertson.JPG (49.1 KB, 1068 views)
File Type: jpg robertson fraction.JPG (50.9 KB, 1065 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Our Roadtrek came with a similar tool to this.

http://www.service.kleintools.com/Tool/ ... duct/32562

small to haul and works fine
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:22 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I carry No. 1 and No. 2 since I needed both sizes on my former Pleasure-way Plateau. They are sold everywhere in Canada and in the US at Sears, Ace, and True Value Hardware stores. They only cost a few bucks a piece.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:21 AM   #5

Thank you for all your advice - I'll order a green #1 for now as I need that size. I have tried Ace, Sears and Home Depot and none of the employees knew of this tool. They searched their displays but only found square bits, in multi-bit sets. Seems this screw style should be more popular in the US as the design is better than the slot or phillips.

Our 'new' RV adventure is becoming a full-time occupation - reviewing manuals, searching for tire scales, sourcing rear door weatherstripping, trying to determine what brand of house batteries we have (not going to disconnect the mass of wires on the terminals to read the label), finding a 115V pigtail we thought we'd have to purchase stuffed in a cubbyhole, etc. It's like buying your first house and learning how everything works (all over again).

This is especially challenging as there are no monitor panels, gauges or meters inside a 1989 RT. This convenience was an innovation in 1990. Besides the furnace thermostat we have several on/off switches under beds, in cupboards, under seats, and likely other places as yet undiscovered. The house batteries have caps, so I guess we need to check the water level, but I want to see the charge level first. Eventually found my old multimeter so we'll see if the batteries have life tomorrow. I hope so as electricity + bed + wheels is the main reason we bought a RT. We can do without the stove, refrigerator, bathtub, hot water, toilet, furnace and A/C for now - one system at a time.

Question 1 - there are updated regulations for portable propane tanks: are there any new fixed tank regulations? Looks like we have the original configuration; analogue gauge and an 80% spit valve, outside at the fill.

Question 2 - the previous owner had a new, probably rebuilt, transmission installed two years ago. I have the invoice but the notation, 'MBROTH492' yields zip on Google. How can I identify the make and specs for the transmission?
Kanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Re: fixed installation propane tanks - the rules (or information) varies depending on the source. I've read 10 year limit for tanks and I've read no time limit. It might also vary from State to State and Province to Province.

You might have the older type fill valve known as an "Auto Stop" . That's what I have and I posted information and instructions for that type of propane valve here: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=9&t=1823
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote