Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2010, 11:28 PM   #1

Default RT 190 propane leak

We smell propane when the main valve is ON and we're using the propane for anything -- refrigerator, BBQ, stove, anything. I think I should get this checked but it is really tucked in there. I looks like the tank may have to be dropped or the hitch removed just to access the regulators and connections.

Do I need to find a Roadtrek dealer to do this, someone who knows how to take this babies apart and put them back together again?

Thanks,

Jon

2008 190 Popular
Jon_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:33 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: RT 190 propane leak

Yes, get it checked out as soon as possible. I'd go to a Roadtrek dealer.

Do you smell propane inside your van? Or outside at the tank? Your RT should have a propane alarm inside - (if I recall correctly) - does the alarm sound?

I had a leak at the tank on my Class C once. It was leaking at the float gauge unit. If you sprayed soapy water on it you'd see bubbles forming at the leak. With that leak, the propane tank had to be empty before removing and replacing the gauge unit.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
Gold Member

I just had a leak on my RT's LP tank fixed on Monday. The valve was leaking around the stem even when fully open and seated. It still had 4 gallons of LP in the tank which made a bit of a problem as no one could deal with it almost full like that. So, on a windy day, I drove it out in the middle of a field, disconnected both the coach and starting batties then let it drain out the tank vent. Took almost 8 hours, but was a pretty safe method and what the LP supplier had recommended. I had called several RV repair places and all of them recommended an LP supplier do the work. One repair shop gave me a specific place to do the work in Coleraine MN. I stopped at Range Bottlegas, walked in and had the first guy I saw come check it out. He opened the tank vent to make sure it was empty (still hissed a bit) then pulled the handle off the valve so he could see the core. Came back out with several repair kits and tools, pulled it apart, put the new parts in and had me drive over to the filling station. He put just enough of a charge in it to test all the fittings, regulator etc. After he confirmed there were now no leaks, he filled the tank completely.

Total cost? $18 Turns out the valve parts were only $6.50, the rest was for the LP. I gave him $30 and said keep it which he was a bit reluctant about even.

The whole deal took about 20 minutes. Hopefully you have similar luck in getting your LP problem dealt with. The short point of the story is that it may work out better to take it to an LP supply business.

Hope that helps!

-Mike & Heidi
97 RT 170P "Taj Ma Trek"
http://WWW.VanTramps.Com
visionquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #4

No joy in Manteca. I took it to Manteca Trailer & RV, 77 miles away because they are a Roadtrek dealer and get good reviews. It sure seems like a professional shop, big too. They found no leak. Really? Pressure tested and used bubbles. No leak. Well we still smelled something so I bought one of those hand held propane detectors. It goes off like crazy down in the neighborhood of the tank. I'm going back but if possible I would like to locate the leak myself and point it out to them. This brings me to my question:

Is there any way to remove the cover over the regulators in a RT 190 without doing something drastic like taking off the hitch or removing the tank? I think the leak is in there. It looks like just black cardboard held on with a Velcro strap but it is really wedged in there.
Jon_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

If no one on here can help you with this one, you might try
asking service@roadtrek.com . They would know, and give you
any appropriate warnings or safety info. (Like maybe don't try it
yourself ?)
You should register your 190 with them first, or make sure you
include the exact model info and your VIN number.