Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2015, 02:39 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: "RT BBQ hoses/connectors/experiences" type question.

Sounds like Roadtek is the only one that provides a high pressure tap. Winnebago clearly states theirs in low pressure. You really don't have very many good choices when it comes to finding a low pressure lp grill. I ordered an Olympian 5500 to see if it will work as well as my trusty Coleman that is kinda boxy and uses the little green bottles.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:59 PM   #22
Platinum Member

As far as I know, all the burners used in grills are the same and run on low pressure. Some of the grill manufacturers have conversion kits to go to low pressure LP. Usually, it is just a different connection, often with a control valve on it, to replace the regulator on a high pressure grille.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:08 PM   #23
Platinum Member

The Great West Van had a high pressure BBQ connection before the regulator on ours. We used a 12 ft. hose available at Camping World that connected to this outlet shown and to a two-burner Coleman stove the kind that had the brass connector for a disposable propane bottle. We connected to that brass connector extension the same ways a the disposable containers and not directly to the stove. I was under the impression that brass connector extension had a built in regulator. It worked fine.

This is the grill we used.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

From Roadtrek Service (thought I'd go back to the source for their take on it) a few hours ago.....

"The BBQ quick connect system does have a built in regulator but it is “high pressure”, which for propane is 15 PSI. The internal RV systems (furnace, stove, water heater, fridge) are regulated to “low pressure”, which is ˝ PSI.

So, the hose that is available from the dealer for the BBQ quick connect has an end on it the same as the fitting on the top of the little disposable Coleman propane bottles. Any portable grill that would use those disposable bottles will be able to use the BBQ quick connect supply. Most of those grills also have their own built in regulator."

So, as many of you have said, from your knowledge and experience or both, the answer appears to be if it runs off a 1lb (16.3oz?) Coleman style disposable propane bottle, it probably has a regulator and should work off the quick connect hose on the motorhome's main tank. As Davydd, booster, markopoolo, wincrasher, et al have suggested. Actually, I read back through the thread and Photog (Brian) also suggested way back that if it runs off disposable bottles, it should run off the Roadtrek's quick connect hose, with an extension hose with suitably adaptable fittings on either end.
I believe I have my answer. Finally. It was the simplest answer of them all, it appears.
Thanks to all.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:25 PM   #25
Platinum Member

I really don't think you have your answer Unfortunately.

Roadtrek is wrong in saying it is 15 psi. It is really 10 psi. I know because I checked our pressure last year because we were having issues (turned out to be a stuck level gauge), and it checked at 10 psi. Went to the dealer to get my new 15 psi regulator from Roadtrek, and it was 10 psi-no need to change then. Dealer said Roadtrek always says 15 psi, but installs and sells 10 psi--go figure

Even the 10 psi is considered high pressure, but the little bottles are closer to 100 psi, so any restriction in the grill plumbing can be a big deal. Coleman, for instance (the only one I have personal experience with) uses a sintered brass plug in the gas line that looks like a filter, but is probably a flash arrestor. Gas will go through it, but it is pretty high resistance, so you get a tiny, useless, flame. Others who don't use the arrestor work fine, like the Magma stuff. It think folks with the Weber products have also had issues.

So the rule of "if it works on a bottle it will work on the Roadtrek" really should say "it MIGHT work on the the Roadtrek".

There are folks that have removed the Roadtrek 10/15psi regulator, and then they have a system like Davydd's on the Great West was. Only downside I know of is you have to be a bit more careful turning on the tank, to prevent the high flow safety from activating.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:25 PM   #26
Platinum Member

I'm happily propaneless now. With our new B we took our Coleman grill along to use with the disposable bottles but we only used it once. We ended up using our portable electric induction cooktop outside most of the time and gradually started using the convection oven more and more as we adapted our menu habits. I'm happy I can make pizza in a boondocking situation.

One thing we haven't got covered is real grilling. I like charcoal under a cast iron grill. I carried a stainless steel grill top in case we found the campground grills to grundgy (often frequently). I have a Coleman Road Trip Charcoal Grill I might take along on the next trip.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:49 PM   #27
Platinum Member

booster: I appreciate your input.
In that case, I'll let you know when I know what works.
I guess a pressure adjustable regulator with a broad PSI range might be the answer.
My question was model year specific. Perhaps your model year has a slightly different built in regulator that produces the pressure you saw? It's not unheard of for Roadtrek to change hardware suppliers or their manufacturers, without notice to the customer, and without updating the owner's manual (trust me, I know), with new parts, thereby modifying or resetting the engineering specs from year to year.

If charcoal were easier and took up less space (sorry, small class B compared to ARV et al) I prefer it as well. Since I've got on board propane, I might as well try to use it.
If I knew more about hardwood, I'd use some of that too, for flavor.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:20 PM   #28
Platinum Member

I can't say for sure on your year, but on ours, that has the 10 psi regulator in it, it still has the sticker that says the line is 15 psi I don't think the difference between 10 and 15 would make a lot of difference on making grills work or not work though. Our Coleman stove had a flame about the size of a lighter when it was on full.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:52 PM   #29
Platinum Member

I hear you on 5 psi not making much difference.
If my 2002 does have a 15 psi regulator, it might produce a flame like 2 lighters and a book of wet matches.
I'll see what works and check back here when I get a working grill.
Don't hold your breath. ....
Old 04-15-2015, 02:43 AM   #30
Platinum Member

If you're looking for a grill my suggestion would be for the Volcano 3. It can run on propane, used with wood or with charcoal.

It could be connected to your tank or separated and used with a 1 or 20 pound tank. Or if you want the flavour of charcoal you could do that instead. I'm loving mine by the way.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:17 PM   #31
Platinum Member

I looked at those a while back and I think the size and shape was the issue. No good place to store it when not in use in our van. We are limited by that to smaller more conventionally shaped portables. If we were to upgrade to a bigger rig it would be a consideration. I guess we'll have to get our charcoal fixes at a campsite with a BBQ grill stand or pit and bring a clean grill with us ala Davydd.
Thanks for the reminder/suggestion.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #32
Platinum Member

This is the Coleman Road Trip Tabletop charcoal grill I own and may take it on some trips. It is fairly compact yet can grill a lot of stuff. The legs fold under for storage in low height spaces. This may be a discontinued model as it no longer shows on the Coleman website. They make a propane equivalent to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Roadtrip- ... coal+grill
Old 05-03-2015, 08:59 PM   #33
Platinum Member

to anybody with a Roadtrek bbq quick connect. i just found out today the zion will have a quick connect.

my questions because my head is spinning

1. what hose did you buy that works-what do you use

2. what small grill do you use with it.

other than being releativly small i'm open to any grill as long as it will work with the hose and connector you tell me

thanks
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:26 AM   #34
Platinum Member

You need to find out if it's a low pressure quick connect or if it's higher. My van it is low pressure.

I did a video on the Camco Olympian 5500 on my blog. It came with a short hose, but I found a longer, 10' hose on Amazon made for that grill.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:20 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
You need to find out if it's a low pressure quick connect or if it's higher. My van it is low pressure.

I did a video on the Camco Olympian 5500 on my blog. It came with a short hose, but I found a longer, 10' hose on Amazon made for that grill.
it's 15 psi.i will look at your blog-thanks

you do have everything-lol
Old 05-07-2015, 12:32 AM   #36
Platinum Member

Gerry, suggest sending a note to service@roadtrek.com and verify whether the quick connect is low (.5 psi) or high pressure (10-15psi). Or ask your dealer to confirm. My 2002 has a high pressure regulated quick connect pig tail, but the rest of the propane appliances are regulated to low pressure. If the Zion quick connect is high pressure like many of its predecessors, any portable grill with a built in regulator should work with few mods. If it's a low pressure connection a grill like the Olympian 5500 which is designed for low pressure RV propane system use will probably work It doesn't have a built in regulator. There's a posting farther back in this thread I think about them and how the grill needed some mods to work on a high pressure system. Owner added a DIY regulator. Have you asked the dealer what other Zion owners use?
For extension hoses, most rural propane places thst install and service residential applications like Blue Flame or a Ferrellgas or Amerigas should be able to help you for a reasonable price. Or you could buy the $150 Roadtrek version.
I'm getting a Napoleon TQ285 which normally runs off the disposable 1lb bottles. I'm having a local propane dealer build me a hose that mimics the 1lb bottles on one end and matches the bbq grill pig tail on my Roadtrek on the other. I'll probably also get a 1lb disposable to 20 lb refillable tank hose as well if the situation ever arises when I have to use a 20 lb tank.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:35 AM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher

it's 15 psi.i will look at your blog-thanks

you do have everything-lol
Both the Olympian 5500 and the 10' hose to RV low pressure system are both available to order online at Walmart. Grill is $185 and the hose is $25. If gerrys is high pressure I dont think they will work for him without adding a regulator to reduce the RV system pressure. I could be mistaken.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:34 AM   #38
Platinum Member

every roadtrek manual i've read says 15 psi for the pigtail. is that considered low pressure?
Old 05-07-2015, 03:01 AM   #39
Platinum Member

15 psi is high pressure. .5 psi is low. My main propane tank has 2 regulators, one high for the BBQ pig tail, and one for the internal appliances like the cook top, furnace, fridge, and water heater. The latter are all low pressure appliances.
You'll probably want to avoid any grill that says it's compatible with rv low pressure on board propane systems. Grills with their own regulators that use 1lb disposable propane bottles should work better on your bbq quick connect, but some mods may or may not be necessary.
It may come down to trial and error.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:09 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Mike is exactly correct, if you have the 15 psi connection, which on many Roadtreks actually uses a 10 psi regulator. I know the one on our 07 has a 15 psi tag on it, says it is 15 psi in the manual, but the regulator says 10 psi and that is what it tests at. It is still considered high pressure and the low pressure grills will not work on it. The one pound bottles are closer to 100 psi, so there can be issues with other grilles as Mike said.

We use a 9 X 12 cooking surface Magma grille, which cooks very well, and is small enough to go in our side storage. It is fine with the 10 psi.

http://www.magmaproducts.com/Product...trailmate.html