Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Rumors of a Winnebago Transit "B"?

Was reading another forum, saw mention that Winnebago is coming out with a Transit based "B". Anyone able to confirm this, by chance?
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:48 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Yep. They are working on a prototype. The have also laid out plans to have a Transit production line at the plant, which will be in addition to Promaster & Sprinter.

My guess is to expect a debut at Hershey.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #3
Silver Member

Any speculation if the Transit will be gas or diesel? or both? I am looking at a Travato but want to wait and see what comes out on the Transit.
Firesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Have no idea. The one I saw in the lot at WGO was the 22' model, gas, SRW, window van. I was kidding with them about it, but they sounded like the prototype was already at their development shop and pretty far along.

So it's anybody's guess which van they'll use.

My guess, since they plan on keeping both the XL Sprinter Era and the 159" Promaster Travato in production, it would make sense to use the mid-size Transit van (the 22' high roof). If you are positioning a product to be priced between the Travato and Era, then it make sense that size wise, you'd be in between the two as well.

I do know that the new product will have a unique name - it won't be named Era or Travato.

They just showed a short-wheelbase 4x4 on the Sprinter at the Outdoor Show earlier this week. This prototype was intended to gauge consumer reaction at that particular show, so far they've said no plans to produce such a vehicle. I doesn't really fit in with the rest of their lines, and they don't make anything on the short Sprinter. I don't expect that experiment to go anywhere - the customer they'd be going after doesn't have that kind of money.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:39 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
it would make sense to use the mid-size Transit van (the 22' high roof).

The 22' Transit is the longest, extended body Transit model. It comes in 18', 19'6" and 22' lengths I think. I was hoping the WGO model would be the 19'6" length but it wouldn't surprise me if it was the longest model.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:50 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Are you certain? I thought there was a 24' model that had the long rear overhang past the rear wheels.

The van I saw did not have that long overhang, but did have a med high roof. I assumed it was the 22'.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:09 PM   #7
Platinum Member

The Ford Transit website shows a 350HD diesel dual rear wheel drive within the specifications listing.

2017 Ford Transit Van & Wagon | Towing Specs | Ford.com
Old 08-05-2016, 08:10 PM   #8
Silver Member

It looks like the Transit has a 148" wheelbase for both the long and long extended models. 19.5' and 21.9' long. I was wondering if it would be taller and longer then the promaster but it looks like it is about the same, but with a shorter wheelbase.

I am pondering replacing my GMC Savanna passenger van with a class B and I want something that can be driven and parked easily. I have AWD now and the FWD Travato would be the better replacement than a RWD van, but I like the Ford better......provided it is available as a gas model.
Firesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:45 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Have no idea. The one I saw in the lot at WGO was the 22' model, gas, SRW, window van. I was kidding with them about it, but they sounded like the prototype was already at their development shop and pretty far along.

So it's anybody's guess which van they'll use.

My guess, since they plan on keeping both the XL Sprinter Era and the 159" Promaster Travato in production, it would make sense to use the mid-size Transit van (the 22' high roof). If you are positioning a product to be priced between the Travato and Era, then it make sense that size wise, you'd be in between the two as well.

I do know that the new product will have a unique name - it won't be named Era or Travato.

They just showed a short-wheelbase 4x4 on the Sprinter at the Outdoor Show earlier this week. This prototype was intended to gauge consumer reaction at that particular show, so far they've said no plans to produce such a vehicle. I doesn't really fit in with the rest of their lines, and they don't make anything on the short Sprinter. I don't expect that experiment to go anywhere - the customer they'd be going after doesn't have that kind of money.

FWIW, a Transit Van can be converted to 4WD. I asked Quigley about this and they confirmed this although they said that it was a tedious and more expensive conversion but they also said that this only applied to a van that was not equipped with tanks, pipes etc typically stuffed into an RV.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:40 AM   #10
Platinum Member

This is definitely interesting to me. Were it not for hiccups with job stuff (had two times where I was with companies that got bought out after I was aboard, and in the IT world, there is only one company IT department, so the axe always will fall, and it will fall on the company integrated in), I would have had my Transit upfit (it is an old thread from last year) by now. However, if Winnebago is coming out with something in the next 6-12 months, I definitely rather wait until their offering is out, as a Sportsmobile order would take me 6-10 months as per their website, plus lead time for Ford to custom make the van, because there are specific things needed/wanted.

Plus, renaissance faire season is coming up and I much rather buy a vehicle after the season is over, so I have free weekends and am able to do some touring and put a vehicle through its paces at my leisure. It also doesn't hurt to put the wear and tear on my current rig anyway.

I really hope Winnebago makes an announcement soon, or news keeps coming about this.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:05 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

My source, a big dealer, said they will be 350 dually diesels, long and tall body. My info is from late last spring....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:00 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I would hope they offer the EcoBoost gas engine also...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:38 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I'm not familiar with diesel engines other than the pickup trucks that all sound like noisy rattle traps. Will the Transit diesel be as smooth sounding as the Sprinters?

I agree with Greg that if EcoBoost were offered it would be goodbye diesel. I'm not so interested in torque as much as I am in high altitude driving.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:54 PM   #14
Platinum Member

The diesel in the Transit seems to be comparable to the Sprinter in terms of noise level...

2015 Ford Transit 350 Diesel: First Drive - PickupTrucks.com News
Old 08-06-2016, 09:26 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I'm not familiar with diesel engines other than the pickup trucks that all sound like noisy rattle traps. Will the Transit diesel be as smooth sounding as the Sprinters?

I agree with Greg that if EcoBoost were offered it would be goodbye diesel. I'm not so interested in torque as much as I am in high altitude driving.
I've heard recent clattering truck diesels that would compete with the noise of an Onan.

I wish Mercy B would offer a gasser for their Sprinter. IMO, their diesel is a complicated and expensive solution to a non existent problem.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:40 PM   #16
Platinum Member

North America represents a small piece of worldwide Sprinter sales, maybe 10-15%, and diesels are the engine desired for the majority of the worldwide sales...
Old 08-06-2016, 09:55 PM   #17
Platinum Member

What's a non-existent problem?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:32 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
What's a non-existent problem?
I'll refrain from straying further from the thread except to suggest that the modern diesel engine evolved to address the historical shortcomings of gasoline engines and their relatively short life spans, for some some industrial and heavy duty vehicle applications.

I think the game has changed considerably. IMO, with respect to production cost, mpg, torque, technical advances, availability of service and maintenance and repair cost, current gas engines have significantly leveled this playing field. The combination of computer control and the evolution of fuel delivery from carburetors to throttle body, manifold and currently direct injection has significantly improved gas engine efficiency. Diesel engines do have a reputation for running half a million miles before overhaul or replacement but while this may be of great comfort to long haul truckers, I don't think it's of any significance for the typical use an RV receives.

I'm sure there are cogent arguments to the contrary but this is what I see.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:23 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
North America represents a small piece of worldwide Sprinter sales, maybe 10-15%, and diesels are the engine desired for the majority of the worldwide sales...
Ultimately, I guess you have to provide an engine that takes the fuel available. Is there a difference in the cracking protocol for crude in other countries that produces more diesel and less gasoline? Is the comparative diesel and gasoline costs the same world wide as it is here?

I'm guessing the same Sprinter diesel offered to every country is not identical. I think that many of these countries don't require the same cumbersome pollution control devices that we have had on our domestic production for about a decade. It seems that a large percentage of Mercedes trouble problems involve pollution control, apparently more often erratic sensors than the control equipment itself. My neighbor has run a fleet of Sprinters and he recounts to me numerous incidents of the vehicle throwing error codes which turn out to be false alarms but still require taking it to a service facility to establish that. He has replaced one of the Sprinters with a Transit and says so far, it's been free of similar incidents.

I think future sales of Sprinters is up in the air. Opening a plant to build Sprinters in North Carolina has got some interesting tradeoffs. Obviously they will benefit from the elimination of complete vehicle ocean delivery as opposed to containers stuffed with components plus avoiding a bizarre automotive tariff structure. Their labor costs might increase but on the other hand they might attract customers who prefer things "made" in America....whatever that means these days.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:19 AM   #20
Platinum Member

I was suggesting that it may not be cost effective to invest in a gas engine appropriate for the current generation Sprinter to address a small segment of the worldwide market. The availability of a gas engine in the next gen NA Sprinter seems to be something that is happening according to reports I have seen.