Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Running 110v underbody

What have folks seen from the OEMs for the 110v wiring when it is underbody? Our Roadtrek only had 110v from the generator to the transfer switch that was partly under the van, and they ran Sealtite conduit from the genny to floor, but then only THHN single wires in loom from there to the transfer switch. This just doesn't sound like a good idea to me, having unprotected 110v wires in the bolster with the pump and other stuff where it could be damaged or rub on something, even in loom.

When I do our upgraded charging, I need to upgrade the shore power to the charger, so I have to run 30a worth of power to it. I also want to put the whole van on the bigger inverter, so I will also need 30a wiring back to the main input wiring. The only reasonable way to do it is going under the van, it appears.

Right now, the thought is to use 10/3 underground feeder cable (waterproof in case of leaks) in Sealtite between the two floor connections, and then just the UF in loom from there, like the rest of the van wiring is done with Romex, on the inside of the van areas.

Does this sound reasonable--and even more--safe?
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I didn't run my 30A 110v wire outside but I used Marinco 10/3 multi-strand from a marine cordset. I had a 50' cord and cut what I needed for the RV. I like using multi strand instead of solid wire in the RV.

The Marinco cord is already well insulated and protected so I think it it would be very safe if also placed in loom.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:04 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Yes Jim, this sounds both reasonable and safe. I did something similar (but don't remember the wire type) when I moved the Tripp Lite inverter/charger from right rear to left rear on our RT09/10C190P.

Regards, Dick
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:05 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
I didn't run my 30A 110v wire outside but I used Marinco 10/3 multi-strand from a marine cordset. I had a 50' cord and cut what I needed for the RV. I like using multi strand instead of solid wire in the RV.

The Marinco cord is already well insulated and protected so I think it it would be very safe if also placed in loom.
That is some heavy cord to be sure. Roadtrek brought the cord straight in to the transfer switch, but it wasn't outside in any spot. Inside, it is certainly better than any Romex type stuff.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:07 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicktill View Post
Yes Jim, this sounds both reasonable and safe. I did something similar (but don't remember the wire type) when I moved the Tripp Lite inverter/charger from right rear to left rear on our RT09/10C190P.

Regards, Dick

Thanks, Dick. You guys are still alive and well, so we know it works. I think that it will be the best way to go for us, also.