Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2016, 12:22 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Rust Prevention

Good topic over on the Roadtrek Yahoo Group: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...essages/109862

We've talked about it here also:
http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...html#post13065

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...html#post17281

Peter on the Yahoo Group shared this link:

http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc53/p526285.pdf

It's a Review of Corrosion Control Programs by Defence Research and
Development Canada.

I'm already a fan of and a user of these type of thin coating products but hadn't heard of the Formula 3000 product. It was interesting to read this in the report:

Quote:
In more severe environments, the choice of CPC is important. of the CPCs tested, Corrosion Free, Formula 3000 showed the most corrosion
inhibition.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:39 PM   #2
Platinum Member

That has been a very good discussion, especially for the older Dodge owners. They love their Dodges and want to keep them forever, but they do seem to have more common, and severe, rust issues than other brands.

I hadn't heard of the Formula 3000 either, but they even have some US dealers, and sell bulk for DIY, including sprayers with wands. I have been using LPS2 for internal areas and LPS3 for external areas on the old Buick, but may order a gallon of the Formula 3000 to try, as it is the same or cheaper than the LPS. We would go near the dealer in Thunder Bay or Iowa/Illinois border in our travels also, so maybe a good place to get the van shot.

http://www.corrosionfree.com/home.html
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I ordered a gallon this morning

I have a basic pick-up tube type undercoating gun that should be OK. I've wanted to DIY this for a while now but didn't want to have or deal with (at home) the dripping & mess usually associated with these products.

I should be able to make a flexible wand for applying this stuff inside door panels etc.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:14 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
I ordered a gallon this morning

I have a basic pick-up tube type undercoating gun that should be OK. I've wanted to DIY this for a while now but didn't want to have or deal with (at home) the dripping & mess usually associated with these products.

I should be able to make a flexible wand for applying this stuff inside door panels etc.
Without a hoist, the DIY is a PITA for sure, as you are on your back trying to do it. Be prepared to get dripped on--a bunch---as it seems to be impossible to just go end to end while staying clear of drips.

I had a cheapo airless sprayer I tried, but it atomized too much. It will be interesting to see how the undercoating gun does, as they are usually for pretty thick materials, and may just spit a stream. I finally wound up using a regular WD40 type trigger sprayer for the Buick. Works very well on the exposed areas, as you can put on a correct thickness amount pretty easily. Tough to get much into the internals of doors or frame areas though. I did get a cheapo garden sprayer that has a nice wand on it, which I haven't had a chance to try yet, so I hope that works better for getting into things.

One suggestion--Get some 8' wide heavy mil plastic sheet and roll it first. Drive onto it and then jack it up and put the stands on the plastic. Having the stands holding the plastic will keep it from bunching and sliding around like it does if you put the vehicle on stands first.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:26 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Maybe I should first try spraying water with the undercoating gun. It has an engine cleaner nozzle and an undercoating nozzle.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:59 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Maybe I should first try spraying water with the undercoating gun. It has an engine cleaner nozzle and an undercoating nozzle.
That is probably a good idea. What I found is that it is way, way, easier to get to much put on, than to little. Surprisingly to me, on a flat metal surface like the frame, the trigger sprayer set to "spray" and fairly quick sweep was close the the ideal amount. On "stream", it was way too much.

Inside the frame, with a 360 degree nozzle, I would think the heavy spray would be needed because you want it to run into all the low spots, but on the outside it takes much less because you can see the coverage. A heavy misting nozzle might even be the best inside the cavities like frames and doors.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:12 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I did the water test.

The undercoating nozzle would be suitable if spraying the side of a barn

The engine cleaner nozzle wasn't too bad. It would be OK for large areas and fast application. I'll have to see how it works with the Formula 3000 product. I might have better equipment by then.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:24 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
I might have better equipment by then.
Whatcha gettin?
Old 03-30-2016, 10:24 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Just another economy rust proofing spray gun with two hoses. https://outilsquebec.com/index.php?i...duct&id_lang=1
Old 03-31-2016, 08:41 PM   #10
Silver Member

The video shows what looks like a paint sprayer. How about a cheap Harbor Freight HVLP gun?
fwdanielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:01 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Maybe. I don't know how thick this coating is yet. Thin is my guess. The cheaper spray guns seem to come with a nozzle for a particular use. One that is suitable for primer might work. I looked at a few HVLP spray guns today. The nozzle size varied from 1.4mm for thinner paints to maybe 2.4mm for primers.

A spray gun with an internal mix cap & pressure feed would likely work if the coating is thick.

I need the wands The are several holes drilled in the two vehicles I'll spray. The holes are there so that you can spray the coating in normally inaccessible spaces and the holes have plastic plugs. I'll pry the plugs out & insert the wand best suited for the area to be sprayed & then re-plug.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:31 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Wow! The gallon jug was delivered today! Ordered Mar 30th & delivered Apr 1st.

It's clear with a greenish tint & odorless & didn't wash off my fingers easily. Water seemed to make it cling more. It's thicker than I imagined; sort of like a latex paint thickness but no suspended particles of course. A lite bodied gel might be a better description.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:54 PM   #13
Platinum Member

That sounds similar to the LPS3 consistency, although the LPS is solvent base, stinks, separates to oil and a waxy goo. It does remix easily if shaken. Being thick like that might explain why it did better in test they ran, compared to thinner versions.

Does it look like it would be too thick to creep down into the body seams? I find the LPS to be a bit too thick for that but great for exposed stuff. I have been using thinner LPS2 to get into the seams.

Should slow down the very fast spraying of the thinner stuff, though.

Should be an interesting test.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:40 PM   #14
Platinum Member

They do say it creeps and penetrates Corrosion Free Rustproofing FAQs

I had to try some today

It sprayed well with the engine cleaner nozzle on the undercoating spray gun. 70PSI seemed good. It didn't seem to want to come out at 50 PSI - mostly air.

It's not messy. It goes where you send it and it doesn't run. There was no fog that you get from aerosol cans. I sprayed the winter rims on the car and it's not running down the tires. I felt the garage floor there and it was not all slippery from overspray. You'd have to purposely spray it heavy or concentrated to make it run or drip. You could spray a good amount in the doors etc. to make it run.

I did spray some spots on the garage door tracks so I should be able to see if it does spread over time.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:19 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I didn't notice any creeping of the 1.25" diameter dollop I sprayed on vertical bare metal on the garage door. It has been less than a day though and temperature is mid 40's F.

What I sprayed anywhere has not run at all. No Corrosion Free ran off the rims onto the tires for example even after the overnight.

I'm not sure what to conclude yet. For DIY it's a dream. No mess & easy to use. The creeping and seeping is important though so I hope that given some time that test spot show signs of expanding. Just a guess here but surface dirt might help the creeping. The test spot is clean bare metal.

Application would appear to be the key here; fog spray in the doors etc. to get the product on as much surface as possible, a nice even coating on exposed parts & a bit heavier coating where you hope that it runs or seeps into inaccessible areas.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:00 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Door and liftgates are famous (infamous) for rusting at the bottom hem. When I try to do something for them, I usually either find a hole (or drill one) that is very low on the rear end of the door so that I can put in basically liquid. I jack up the rear of the vehicle a little so the oil will run the full length of the hem when I dribble it in. I will slowly run out the various drains on it's way forward, so you know they are open and that it gets all the way to front. Most of the US rustproofers fog the doors, and it doesn't do much for the bottom hems in most cases.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:07 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Is CorrosionFree the same type of coating as CorrosionX?
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #18
Platinum Member

No idea. Similar use for sure.

CorrosionX

The creeping up the bolt video is great!

Old 04-21-2016, 02:18 PM   #19
Platinum Member

The air "Rust-Proofing" gun I ordered was delivered today. I think they forgot to send it originally. I queried the status two days ago and it was shipped then. It seems like good quality - not commercial shop grade but better than I expected. Nice weight to it. It came with the two hoses (wands) and the fittings can easily be removed to be put on a new hose (maybe longer if desired).

Just yesterday I cleaned and coated the 4 winter rims (off the car) using my other undercoating gun. Corrosion Free is awesome to work with - no mess, no smell, no over-spray. I wish I had known the new spray gun was going to arrive today as I would have waited and used it instead.

Creeping:

Still not 100% sure but it does look like it will continue to slowly spread after application. The "dollop" sprayed on vertical bare metal ran 5 inches after 3 weeks. There was visible spreading behind the holes on the winter rims that I sprayed (one side of) 3 weeks ago. Maybe .75" growth around the backside of the holes.

It has been cold here. Today is warmest so far. It might get up to 70F or so. Warmth should promote spreading.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:22 PM   #20
Platinum Member

I'll just add that pressure washing the rims with no soap did not wash the Corrosion Free that I applied 3 weeks ago off the rims.