Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
You will benefit from knowing and being able to repair your own stuff whether you build or buy something pre-made.
You will likely know your own stuff better to start with. But you are also the only one who knows it and are pretty much stuck fixing most stuff yourself. I would be curious how many do-it-yourselfers have found an rv repair shop willing to do work on their home grown rv.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:23 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
You will likely know your own stuff better to start with. But you are also the only one who knows it and are pretty much stuck fixing most stuff yourself. I would be curious how many do-it-yourselfers have found an rv repair shop willing to do work on their home grown rv.
Another way to look at it is to wonder what percentage of DIY builders would go anywhere near an RV repair shop.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:38 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Another way to look at it is to wonder what percentage of DIY builders would go anywhere near an RV repair shop.
Exactly. Which brings us back to the question, do you want a project or a vehicle to travel in. Once you go the DIY route, you are basically committed to an ongoing project that includes future repairs.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #24
Silver Member

Sounds like you are a good candidate for buying used and fixing things yourself.

That's what we did. Bought a 2004 Roadtrek 170 in 2016 and we immediately did some mods to make it more user friendly for us. New intelligent converter, new hardwired surge and electrical protector, new mattress, new Maxxair roof fan, etc.

Just this year we've had to do some fixings.

Replaced the black water tank outlet valve - which was way harder than replacing one on our trailer - more stuff had to come apart. But, we had the tools and the ability.

And just the other day had to replace the flame indicator for our fridge. Looks like we were supposed to pull the fridge out to get to the wiring connections - so we just cut the wires and soldered them to get the new one in.

Just to let you know - you don't have to build it yourself to be able to fix it yourself.
pasusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:13 PM   #25

I made the transition from 45 years of tent camping off a motorcycle to a used Pleasure-way Sprinter 4 years ago; the dealer in Claremont NC told me when I picked it up that it had been serviced an ready to roll; said full of fuel, LP, and the DEF tank topped off;

I assumed when I purchased that I would have it serviced at the RV dealer.

98 miles from the dealer the low DEF light came on; when got home I checked the tire pressure, specs call for 61psi rear 56 front; all the tire had 45psi except the left front which had 33psi

My van has never been back to any RV dealer!

The Pleasure-way build turn out to be good starting point for the camper I wanted; got a list of about 40 mods; most simple; some pretty involved.

Upgrading a good floor plan (good for me) was l think the best compromise for me. Pleasure-way used 3/4" plywood & scews for almost everything, my work may not have gone so well if it had been particle board and staples.
PJ2016 is offline   Reply With Quote