Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2018, 11:26 PM   #1

Default RV options and price changes after I ordered

Hi All,

I ordered my RV at the beginning of May and recently the dealer I ordered my RV from informed me MB has changed the Sprinter chassis options so the 9" Large Screen GPS option I ordered no longer available and it got replaced with a list of safety features instead.

Has this happened to anyone in the forum here? The new options come with a small 7" screen instead of 9" as rear view camera. I am interested in what you suggest the next step for me. I can walk away from the purchase agreement which has been signed by both the dealer and me.

Thank you!
shawcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:29 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I have a seven inch back up camera monitor in my Roadtrek and the screen in my Jeep Grand Cherokee is a little smaller. All I can tell you it is certainly sufficient for my viewing.

I am sure you went through a lot of considerations before you decided on the B that was perfect for you and I would think layout, tank and storage capacities, fit and finish would be more important than a slightly smaller monitor. That being said, if it really causes you to second guess your purchase, that is another matter.

What make and model did you order?
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:52 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Considering that most of my rigs have had 5" screens, I would be THRILLED with 7" ... and I could probably even see it.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:08 AM   #4

Hi Doneworking and Mumkin,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I ordered 2019 Winnebago Era 70X mostly for short trips with 2 kids. I am not retired so I can't afford those month long trips that I dream all the time. I would agree the 7" is not too bad except I have a 9" on my SUV and the larger size just making the backing must easier I guess.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:25 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawcal View Post
Hi All,

I ordered my RV at the beginning of May and recently the dealer I ordered my RV from informed me MB has changed the Sprinter chassis options so the 9" Large Screen GPS option I ordered no longer available and it got replaced with a list of safety features instead.

Has this happened to anyone in the forum here? The new options come with a small 7" screen instead of 9" as rear view camera. I am interested in what you suggest the next step for me. I can walk away from the purchase agreement which has been signed by both the dealer and me.

Thank you!
I'll defer to the Sprinter gurus aboard for the best answer, but there's something about this that seems short of passing the sniff test Have you confirmed that this is actually a Mercedes option change and not a dealer ordering screw up?

The replacement of the option with dealer safety features is puzzling since this advanced safety package has been available on the Sprinter since 2014 and subsequently I think that every Sprinter builder for domestic consumption included the driver safety features as standard equipment. Is this some newer version of the safety equipment package?

Looking at the brochuire, this seems like a dynamite option and it would be unfortunate if it's discontinued.

https://www.alpine-electronics.se/p/...iew/X902D-S906
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:13 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
.... but there's something about this that seems short of passing the sniff test Have you confirmed that this is actually a Mercedes option change and not a dealer ordering screw up?...
^^^^ That!
henknoordermeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Are you guys talking about Mercedes' OEM "Audio 15" head unit, or some aftermarket product that the upfitter installs?

I am quite sure that Mercedes only offers one screen size on NCV3 Sprinters. This will no doubt change for Sprinter MY2019.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:59 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Are you guys talking about Mercedes' OEM "Audio 15" head unit, or some aftermarket product that the upfitter installs?

I am quite sure that Mercedes only offers one screen size on NCV3 Sprinters. This will no doubt change for Sprinter MY2019.
See the link in #5 for the option. It's built by Alpine but it looks like a factory option doesn't it?
Old 07-19-2018, 05:27 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
See the link in #5 for the option. It's built by Alpine but it looks like a factory option doesn't it?
No. That is NOT a MB factory option. It has nothing to do with Mercedes. The product may well have been targeted toward Sprinters, but not by MB.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
No. That is NOT a MB factory option. It has nothing to do with Mercedes. The product may well have been targeted toward Sprinters, but not by MB.
I know next to nothing about Sprinters, so you da man, but it leaves me wondering:

If Mercedes is not involved, how does this Alpine unit get powered up. I don't see any power cables. Doesn't the brochure indicate that the S906 display requires the Mercedes X902 option, whatever that is?

Also, if this is a totally third party display, why would the dealer tell the OP that Mercedes had deleted this display and substituted a driver safety option?
Old 07-19-2018, 06:03 PM   #11

I initially ordered Large Screen-INFO/GPS (153 package) and now got replaced by Light and rain sensor for auto headlight dimming and wiper, blind spot monitoring, collision prevention assist, lane keeping assist and rearview system (8Fv and 85Y packages).
Old 07-19-2018, 06:23 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
I initially ordered Large Screen-INFO/GPS (153 package) and now got replaced by Light and rain sensor for auto headlight dimming and wiper, blind spot monitoring, collision prevention assist, lane keeping assist and rearview system (8Fv and 85Y packages).
Avanti, how does this square with your indication that Mercedes is totally uninvolved with this display?
Old 07-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #13
Site Team

OK, let me try to unravel this a bit:

Quote:
If Mercedes is not involved, how does this Alpine unit get powered up. I don't see any power cables. Doesn't the brochure indicate that the S906 display requires the Mercedes X902 option, whatever that is?
X902 is NOT a Mercedes option code. They are all 3-character codes, starting with a letter.

X902 is an Alpine code. It seems to be mostly referenced on European Alpine sites, e.g.:

https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/...des/x902d-s906

It is a 9" nav system.

Since Alpine designed this system for the Sprinter specifically, I'm sure it comes with an adaptor to the Mercedes Audio-15 connector.

Quote:
Also, if this is a totally third party display, why would the dealer tell the OP that Mercedes had deleted this display and substituted a driver safety option?
Well, that's the question, isn't it?

Quote:
Well, the latter text sounds like the Sprinter driver assistance package:

JP2 Driving Assistance Package
Elements include:
• JA7 Blind Spot Monitoring
• JA6 Collision Prevention Assist
• JW5 Lane Keeping Assist
• LA1 High Beam Assist

plus the backup camera (Sprinter option code FR8 )

8Fv and 85Y are NOT Mercedes codes--I assume they are Winnebago's option codes for these Sprinter options.

So, the bottom line is that comparing this 3-rd party head unit with a Mercedes option package is apples-and-oranges, although I am sure they are both legitimate Winnebago options.

BTW: I have the Driver Assist Package. It is great. I would NEVER want a Sprinter without it. It is easy to upgrade a head unit. It is virtually impossible to add the safety stuff (which involves cameras, radar, etc).
Old 07-19-2018, 08:03 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:

X902 is NOT a Mercedes option code. They are all 3-character codes, starting with a letter.

X902 is an Alpine code. It seems to be mostly referenced on European Alpine sites, e.g.:

It is a 9" nav system.

Since Alpine designed this system for the Sprinter specifically, I'm sure it comes with an adaptor to the Mercedes Audio-15 connector.

Elements include:
• LA1 High Beam Assist

8Fv and 85Y are NOT Mercedes codes--I assume they are Winnebago's option codes for these Sprinter options.

So, the bottom line is that comparing this 3-rd party head unit with a Mercedes option package is apples-and-oranges, although I am sure they are both legitimate Winnebago options.

BTW: I have the Driver Assist Package. It is great. I would NEVER want a Sprinter without it. It is easy to upgrade a head unit. It is virtually impossible to add the safety stuff (which involves cameras, radar, etc).
It gets curioser.. On the link there is info on where it iis sold but it appears to be sold only in Sweden. They do indicate X902 is an Alpine code but make referemce to S906 as a Mercedes model code. There is no Alpine contact info on the website that I could find. Perhaps Winnebago has or had access to this unit that wasn't available to other Sprinter upfitters.

Re the driver Assist Package. I'm surprised that insurance carriers haven't started to ding collision premiums on vehicles not equipped with this stuff.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:26 PM   #15

Quote:

It is a 9" nav system.

Elements include:
• LA1 High Beam Assist

@avanti,

As always, you have very insightful information. Except the smaller screen for rearview display this package seems to be a very useful package.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2018, 09:59 PM   #16
Bronze Member

The new 2019 Sprinters appear to have a choice of 7" screen or 10.25" screen, and looking at the pictures on the European websites, I don't think an after-market (like Alpine) double-DIN replacement will fit in place of either unit. The dashes look totally different.

Look at the images here: https://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/cont...inter_overview

So I think Winnebago is defaulting to the OEM 7" option and not offering the Alpine in models based on the '19 chassis.
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:12 PM   #17

The Era I ordered is 19 Winnebago model. I am not sure it uses the 2019/2020 sprinter chassis. I think it may be still the 2018 and half sprinter. I image the price will increase with 2019 chassis?
Old 07-19-2018, 10:12 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
The new 2019 Sprinters appear to have a choice of 7" screen or 10.25" screen, and looking at the pictures on the European websites, I don't think an after-market (like Alpine) double-DIN replacement will fit in place of either unit. The dashes look totally different.

Look at the images here: https://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/cont...inter_overview

So I think Winnebago is defaulting to the OEM 7" option and not offering the Alpine in models based on the '19 chassis.
So, it looks like WGO and Alpine dealt with each other directly without Mercedes involvement and in anticipation of the new dashboard WGO ended their arrangement with Alpine.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:08 AM   #19

Default Upgraded Head unit

For those of you lusting over this Alpine, you can easily upgrade your head unit with the Halo 9, which this basically is. And it's very easy to retain your factory backup camera and steering wheel controls.
https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/v...-auto-ilx-f309
soLucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:38 AM   #20
BBQ
Platinum Member

What is a "Head Unit" ?

Tags
puchase