Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2018, 10:16 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default RV Values and Resale

In the world of resale...time is MUCH more important than mileage, especially if it's a diesel where mileage is generally not factored in....NADA doesn't measure mileage or even take this into consideration.

Please remember that all vehicles regardless of miles depreciate steadily until sometime between 15 and 20 years....then they level out to a base price.

Normally, you cannot finance an RV if it's already over 10 years old, so, if you are looking for an older RV be prepared to pay cash. If I recall, the maximum number of years for financing any old RV is 20 years.

There's really no good time to sell a vehicle of any kind without taking a huge financial loss.
The best thing you can do is keep driving and enjoying it for as long as you have it.
It is definitely NOT the same as real estate.

Houses generally appreciate.. sadly.. not vehicles... unless they are classics... despite what you might like... very few vehicles become classics.....

The least expensive thing do is to always fix and keep your old vehicle if it's serving you.

How many of you are planning on keeping your vehicles until the 20 to 25 years time period?? Hopefully, by then, you'll have the certificate of title.

Just drive and enjoy your vehicle while you own it....😀😀😀
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:06 AM   #2
Platinum Member

We sell all our vehicles by the pound!
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:06 AM   #3
Platinum Member

For me personally, a RV is not a necessity of life. It is not a house or a mode of transportation. It is a luxury item. If I have to finance if or if I have to worry about resale, I probably can’t afford it.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:40 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Some things matter more than money. I have several thousand hours of my time making this van my dream house. It is not fungible.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #5
Silver Member

Just gave my 1997 Winnie 34 foot A that I've had since new to my son. He will drive it into the ground. Just got a 2016 190P and I intend to drive that into the ground. Same with three before the Winnie. I put too much "stuff" like ham radios, thermometers, winterization mods and what not to not get attached to the thing(s).

Steve
SteveWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I never look at our Roadtrek as anything but a Memory Maker. We bought it for our 30th anniversary present to each other and our next one will be number 43. It is not an investment. It is a Memory Maker.

It fits into our HVAC controlled garage and is like new. It is maintained like it was a Beechcraft. A comparable new unit would cost three times what it is worth and wouldn't have the same layout we love because they don't make 'em like that anymore.

Why on earth wouldn't we want to Make Memories in our 2007 RT 210P until our 50th anniversary??
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:32 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
I never look at our Roadtrek as anything but a Memory Maker.
That about says it all.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:52 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Just drive and enjoy your vehicle while you own it....😀😀😀
Probably the best thing to do.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:05 PM   #9
Bronze Member

They don't call it "disposable income" for nothing! lol
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:47 PM   #10
Platinum Member

When I told MrNomer that I was buying a van, I told him up front to put away the calculator. This was not a "money-saving" venture. The goal was to allow us to travel as long as one of us can drive.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:17 AM   #11
Platinum Member

One of the ways we sort-of convince ourselves we are saving money is by factoring in the saved restaurant bills. We took delivery of our Winnebago Paseo on 1/6/2018, and we have already spent 42 nights in it. In those 42 days/nights of travel, we ate exactly one restaurant meal - and that only because we were joining up with friends at a restaurant in Moab Utah.

I figure about $250 - $300 per day saved between hotel bill and restaurant bills. Multiplied by 42 (and using the higher estimate to better justify myself) = $12,600 saved. Sounds great at first glance, but then compare it to first year depreciation on a brand new RV... probably $20K.

Yes, as the rig ages, the depreciation in any given year will come down significantly, but as that happens, the maintenance costs will start to go up.

But I'm good with it, because there is more to the story. We take trips we otherwise wouldn't have taken. We travel by road and bring the bikes on trips we would have otherwise flown on. We are eating much healthier. We are avoiding the cattle-herding mentality of the travel industry. And I could keep going on why we much prefer to travel this way...
Old 12-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #12

Id love to quit working for year so my gf can travel the US in our 2007 Roadtrek. I race bikes and we both rock climb so plan is to get super fit and train all over the US.
Max58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:39 PM   #13

Default Sad

Sadly, just bought a house and the camper is a luxury and will have to sell my 2000 Dodge Pleasure-Way. With 60,000 mi I only used it a few months. Previous owners took immaculate care of it so I'm hoping to recoup what I put in it which was 17000. Between Google and nada I have not really been able to come up with a solid price for resale
Shimmaryna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:03 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
The goal was to allow us to travel as long as one of us can drive.
I couldn't have said it better!
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote