Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2014, 09:29 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default RVs for Tall People

I'm in the process of putting together a database of Class B and Class C RVs that can accommodate someone 6' 2" tall who doesn't curl up to sleep. Here's what I've found so far. I hope to find more. Mercedes will soon be offering a Sprinter with a roof that's 4-6 inches taller than the high-top, so this list will change.

These are RVs with:
- Inside Height = 75" or more
- Bed Length = 75" or more
- Bed Width = 54" or more
- Both refrigerator and microwave raised (These motorhomes have raised refrigerators and microwaves that are not under the countertop on the floor. A tall person would have to get on their hands and knees to use undercounter appliances.)

They're sorted by class, then the ones with the tallest inside height and longest beds are listed first. If the AC is ducted or in the rear of the coach, the main height is used. If the location of the AC is above the galley or where it may get in the way, it's noted.

Notes on the table:
Class B = Van Conversion
Class C = Cab/Frame Conversion (Some folks may classify some of these as Class B+)

*The inside height listed is with the pop-up top fully expanded, with no bed in the loft. It's built on a standard roof Sprinter and is 70" high inside with the pop-top down. The height of the door may be a problem, since it's only the height of the standard roof Sprinter.

**These are specified by the customer.

***The location of the AC may interfere with inside height.

****The size of the Unity bed is with the insert, converting its twin beds to one larger bed. It also can be used sleeping sideways, making the bed 88" x 76".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV_Height_Table.jpg (137.2 KB, 1419 views)
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:12 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: RVs for Tall People

Your Advanced RV standard for appliances would both be raised. Microwave, refrigerator are pretty much a set item. I don't think an Advanced RV has been built yet where these two items have been altered. They have a basic plan but only the back bed area and the front wardrobe area are up for grabs in customer modifications. With the Ocean One extended length you can get a pretty long bed if you desire. I think all beds are 75" or more. The Advanced RV CEO and owner, Mike Neundorfer, is about 6'-3". He is cognizant of these issues. My bed will be like no bed you have ever seen in a Class B.

You are missing the Great West Van Legend Sprinter. The EX model can come with an extended length bed. The microwave and refrigerator are high. At least my 2011 was.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Travato 59G meets your criteria except for bed width. It has the length - 77", but only 46" width, raised microwave and refrigerator, and has 6'3" interior height. Excellent RV for a tall guy, but with a skinny wife.

Lexor and Zion meet your interior height requirements, but not the raised appliances. Nor will Travato 59K.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:43 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Davydd,

"My bed will be like no bed you have ever seen in a Class B".

Are you putting mirrors on the ceiling?
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:33 PM   #5
Platinum Member

You betcha!
Old 12-27-2014, 12:25 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Thanks for the feedback, all! According to the info I have, the Great West Legend bed is 74" long, one inch shy of the minimum that I set. The Legend EX bed that I missed apparently is 84" long. I'll add that later. I forgot to mention that all of them had to be under 25 feet. Anything longer than that would be difficult to park in a standard parking lot.

S.G.
P.S. Davydd, are you gonna have a disco ball? Strobe lights? Fog machine? Inquiring minds wanna know!
Old 12-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
Site Team

I am 6'3" and did not want an extended length van. So, on my request, Great West Vans modified the kitchen cabinet slightly in our new factory-ordered Legend SE. It added 4" to the passenger side of the bed. Made all the difference in the world. The bed is vastly more comfortable than that in our old '05 Airstream Interstate.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_10.JPG (190.7 KB, 1004 views)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I also need to add info about the following RVs:

-Fleetwood Jamboree
-Fleetwood Tioga Ranger
-Forest River Forester series
-Forest River Sunseeker series

These are all under 25' Class C RVs.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti
I am 6'3" and did not want an extended length van. So, on my request, Great West Vans modified the kitchen cabinet slightly in our new factory-ordered Legend SE. It added 4" to the passenger side of the bed.
I'm curious about how they made the modification to only one side of the fold out couch.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #10
Platinum Member

My 6'7" brother toured our 1999 American Cruiser RE2000 today...it was not a pretty sight! I am 5'4" and have no problems, though!
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:46 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf7g
My 6'7" brother toured our 1999 American Cruiser RE2000 today...it was not a pretty sight! I am 5'4" and have no problems, though!

I hear ya, I am 5' 7" wife at 4' 11", son in law at 6' 5" can't understand how we could live in our Chevy Roadtrek for weeks at a time. His 5' 3" wife thinks it would be wonderful. I guess you have to live it to understand it!
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:28 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti
I am 6'3" and did not want an extended length van. So, on my request, Great West Vans modified the kitchen cabinet slightly in our new factory-ordered Legend SE. It added 4" to the passenger side of the bed.
I'm curious about how they made the modification to only one side of the fold out couch.
They didn't modify the couch, they modified the kitchen cabinet in front of the bed. They deleted the four tiny drawers, and used the space to (a) widen the big drawers and (b) add a 4" carpeted shelf that is flush with the bed, thus effectively lengthening the bed--creating space for my big feet. You can see it in the picture. Works great.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Default Re: RVs for Tall People--Updated with more RVs

Here's a more complete chart. All numbers are in inches and are from the manufacturers.

These are RVs that are 25' or less with:
- Inside Height = 75" or more
- Bed Length = 75" or more
- Bed Width = 54" or more
- Both refrigerator and microwave raised (These motorhomes have raised refrigerators and microwaves that are not under the countertop on the floor. A tall person would have to get on their hands and knees to use undercounter appliances.)

They're sorted by class, then the ones with the tallest inside height and longest beds are listed first. If the AC is ducted or in the rear of the coach, the main height is used. If the location of the AC is above the galley or where it may get in the way, it's noted.

Notes on the table:
Class B = Van Conversion
Class C = Cab/Frame Conversion (Some folks may classify some of these as Class B+)

*The inside height listed is with the pop-up top fully expanded, with no bed in the loft. It's built on a standard roof Sprinter and is 70" high inside with the pop-top down. The height of the door may be a problem, since it's only the height of the standard roof Sprinter (70").

**These are specified by the customer.

***The location of the AC may interfere with inside height.

****The size of this Unity bed is with the insert, converting its twin beds to one larger bed. This bed can also can be used sleeping sideways, making the bed 88" x 76".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV_Height_Table2.jpg (285.6 KB, 638 views)
Old 12-29-2014, 08:25 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I found more info. Tall Products.com has a page with articles about RVs for tall folks.
http://tallproducts.com/category/recreational-vehicles/
Old 12-29-2014, 09:12 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I have a 2006 Pleasure Way Lexor TD on a Chev Chassis

While I haven;t measured it...I am about 6'2".

**** update 75" from rear door to cabinet under the TV...swing a little diagonal and pick up a couple more inches

I can move around the cabin fine, the driver side bed is long enough...the only place to whack my head is on the AC over the rear coach/bed.

fridge on the floor, no big deal, the micro is on top of the armoire behind driver's seat

all in all- this is the chassis size we wanted, and this configuration is less claustro than other layouts.

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #16
Platinum Member

A refrigerator on the floor is a big deal for me and I'm not tall. It means two things. First, if on the floor you have to bend way over, deep knee bend or even get down on a knee to see completely inside or arrange things. I'm beyond the limber age. Secondly, that means it is probably under the counter and less than 3.8 cubic feet. That is way too small as far as I am concerned in this more enlightened Class B day and age. My past two Class B refrigerators were off the floor but too small (now in hindsight).
Old 12-29-2014, 09:38 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have a 2006 Pleasure Way Lexor TD on a Chev Chassis

While I haven;t measured it...I am about 6'2".
I looked at the Pleasure Way site and found that the Lexor comes in two models:

--The TS: One bed, 72” x 70”
--The TD: Twin beds. Driver side: 73” x 26” / Passenger side: 70” x 26”

Quote:
all in all- this is the chassis size we wanted, and this configuration is less claustro than other layouts.
Buying an RV is always about balancing compromises. Personally, I'd love an RV with a short chassis that could fold out to being the Taj Mahal, complete with reflecting ponds...
Old 12-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
A refrigerator on the floor is a big deal for me and I'm not tall. It means two things. First, if on the floor you have to bend way over, deep knee bend or even get down on a knee to see completely inside or arrange things. I'm beyond the limber age. Secondly, that means it is probably under the counter and less than 3.8 cubic feet. That is way too small as far as I am concerned in this more enlightened Class B day and age. My past two Class B refrigerators were off the floor but too small (now in hindsight).
Raised refrigerators with bottom freezers make getting at frequently accessed things easier for everyone, tall or not. They also make getting at the ice cream in the middle of the night more difficult, which is good for the waistline. I never do that, even at home. My college roommate said that it was the fault of the mice that knew how to use utensils.

Anyway, NovaKool has a series of bottom freezer refrigerators:

http://www.novakool.com/products/two_do ... 0_9000.htm
Old 12-29-2014, 10:49 PM   #19
Platinum Member

The Advanced RV uses the RFU 6800 NovaKool bottom freezer model which keeps the refrigerator at a comfortable height. Roadtrek with the CS Adventurous does the opposite. Their refrigerator is smack down on the bottom and the freezer door is above.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:01 PM   #20
Platinum Member

The Coach House Arriva V24 comes close to the requirements listed. http://www.coachhouserv.com/model-V24.php

Beds are listed as 74" long. The rear bathroom might allow more shoulder space / easier showering for tall or larger people.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coach House Arriva V24.jpg (86.1 KB, 350 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote