Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default rvsuperbag

because of the lead time needed in getting these i need opinions.

read all sorts of good things about these but not cheap. anybody have them?
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: rvsuperbag

http://www.rvsuperbag.com/

Never tried them - looks similar to sleeping bag plus liner which I can say works well.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:05 PM   #3
Platinum Member

One of these would be great for my teardrop trailer - making the bed is near impossible.

I believe Davydd commented on using these or something similar in the past.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:22 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Travasak has also reappeared, after being gone for a while. I think Camping World and Amazon have them, and probably others. Very similar, and always were a bit less money, but now appear to have gotten more expensive. We have had ours for 6 years and really like them. We use two singles.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:09 PM   #5

I have one after reading all of the positive reviews. I used it for one night and then put it in storage. The problem I encountered is that I bought the right size to fit my Class B bed (queen) perfectly. This meant, however, that it was pretty constricting. If one person rolls over or moves it moves the other person. I should have ordered a much larger size, but then that would have defeated the nice clean look. Or I should have ordered two singles, but then it's really no different than a sleeping bag with a sheet inside and there are a lot of companies that sell those. After one night and some pretty hefty sunk costs, I switched back to some nice sheets and a light duvet.
migriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:17 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I have to ask what advantage is there to these?

I don;t see it so please enlighten me.

I'm using sheets, blankets.

sleep bags usually slide because of the nylon.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:55 PM   #7
Platinum Member

They are nice because the bed can be made in about 20 seconds and taken up barely more than that. They roll up and stash under the cabinets where your feet go in out 190P. Plus they have one warm and one cooler side so you get cover more temps. Making the bed with sheets and blankets was a major PITA for us. We got the Travasaks after the first trip.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:19 PM   #8
Platinum Member

If you get a couple sets of liners, it makes keeping the bed clean fairly easy.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #9
Platinum Member

ah, ease of set up.

It looks as we are trending to leaving the bed made up.

Thanks, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:28 AM   #10
Platinum Member

We have the RV Superbag with optional 100% cotton sheets and love it. It's pricey but very comfortable for sleeping and quick to setup.

Consider these points in determining whether the Superbag, or similar Travasak are worthwhile for you:

Do you prefer sleeping on sheets or in a sleeping bag? If you're good with sleeping bags then just get a couple of inexpensive bags with flannel liners. But if you prefer to sleep together I'm not aware of any double or zip-together bags where the liners also double up and combine together.

Do you have a permanent bed? If so just use standard sheets and a comforter for lower cost. But if you have a dual purpose dinette / bed like ours the Superbag saves at least 10 minutes of awkward contortions every night trying stretch out and tuck in the sheets and blankets. Just unroll the Superbag and you're ready to go.

Do you prefer 100% cotton sheets? If yes then the RV Superbag is the only way to go. We love those nice cotton sheets. If poly blend sheets are ok then you can save some money with the Travasak.

Sizing - buy the next size up from your actual bed dimensions. Our rear dinette/bed is just over 64" wide but we purchased the full King size Superbag for plenty of room. As migriffin notes, the smaller queen size would be too constricting.

With cotton sheets and stuff sack our RV Superbag was almost $400. Way more than a couple WallyMart cheapo bags but less than two backpack quality sleeping bags. It's turned out to be probably the most useful item we've purchased for our Sprinter class-b.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:30 PM   #11
Platinum Member

How is sleeping on those in warm/hot weather?
Old 02-03-2015, 04:59 AM   #12
Platinum Member

RV Superbag (and Travasak) have a both thicker "winter" side and a lighter "summer" side, so just flip the bag over to determine how much warmth you want. We've had ours for a bit less than a year and the lighter side has been fine for summer, but we haven't camped anywhere really hot this last year either. Superbag sells an uninsulated fabric-only cover that replaces one of the insulated sides for very warm weather use.

These bags are designed for RV or boating inside cabin use, and even the winter side is not as warm as a thick camping or backpacking sleeping bag. For high altitude nights in the Rockies we've needed to supplement the bag with a light comforter or blanket for additional warmth.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:19 PM   #13
Platinum Member

How difficult are they to wash? I like the fact that they have inside sheets, so those can be washed more often than the other parts of the bag.

This looks like a perfect problem solver for me, regardless of "B" I go with, be it a Travato, a Transit upfit from Sportsmobile, or something else. Just flip the sofa into a bed, unroll this, pull out the pillows, done.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:40 AM   #14
Platinum Member

The inner sheet liner is easy to clean in any washing machine. We haven't needed to wash the outer bags yet but Superbag says they're machine washable by unzipping the top and bottom sections, then washing each side separately in a front load washer.

We did find the velcro liner attachments tend to pick up stray nerf, particularly when using commercial laundromat facilities that may have been used for who knows what. So we got a couple rolls of 1 inch sewing velcro (the type without adhesive backing), cut them to the match the liner velcro lengths, then attach them to protect the exposed velcro during washing. When not in use the velcro protector strips just store in a ziplock freezer bag at the bottom of the stuff sack, ready for the next washing.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:14 AM   #15
Platinum Member

What am I missing about the supersak/travasak?

If you are using the single size ones, how is it different from a luxury sleeping bag. Other than a detachable inner sheet, and probably (considering the price!) a smoother material?
Old 02-05-2015, 05:31 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Are the Velcro strips at the foot of the bag or at the top? If they're at the top, it would be slightly problematic for me. I used to have a jacket with Velcro that would stick to my beard. Pulling it off wasn't pretty. I don't want to have to repeat that.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:03 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Ob - obviously, this can be a more luxurious choice than a sleeping bag because you can opt for higher thread count sheets as well as a wider selection of exterior fabrics to better match your decor. Not a consideration in my El Cheapo rolling torture chamber of a van, but I am intrigued by the convenience aspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:22 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy
Are the Velcro strips at the foot of the bag or at the top? ...
The velcro strips run up and down the two sides of the bag/liner system. So no exposed velcro near your head. The Superbag liner sheets also extend slightly beyond and tuck around the top edges of each bag so once inside your only contact is with the liner sheets, not the bags.

BTW, if you choose the Travasak system be aware the new and old liner systems are not compatible - the velcro doesn't match up. So if buying a new Travasak from Camping World it's probably worth picking up a spare liner set. For anyone with an older orphaned Travasak system the folks at Superbag can build you a replacement liner compatible with the old style velcro alignment.