Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2019, 04:31 PM   #81
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Thinsulate Acoustical Material was deployed over 20 years ago into automotive and marine markets. Many engineering resources went into it. Try to find Rockwool deployment data into these markets. Fitrv had “Interesting” Coachman insulation video of radiant barriers blocked from IR and Rockwool, so, 3M or Coachmen engineering, you pick.
https://web.archive.org/web/20180914...-62606944.html
Probably could have said that “Thinsulate was originally designed for clothing” and avoided the implication that it was not marketed by 3M for other applications later...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:44 PM   #82
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
In a short 144" WB Sprinter which I am basing my new design, a full bed in the back takes up 60% of available floor space from the B pillar to the back doors. That also includes twin beds and an attendant aisle. 30" wide bunk beds occupy 25% of the available space. You can see that opens up potentially more design freedom.

ARV has designed a 144 Sprinter with cross sleeping to save space which basically is 48" or 54" vs a minimum front to back 72" to 76" to save about 12 sq. ft. floor space. Cross sleeping more than likely needs flairs since the interior width is only 69" which is smaller that most people prefer.

Bunk beds are tricky when you design for 70+ year olds. Young people are much more flexible. That's why I am mocking them up in my shop. First I did it roughly at ARV with an impromptu mockup with the help of their cabinet shop and an empty van.

Looks a lot like my van:

Mine is on a 159wb 19ft promaster. Your bunk height looks WAY better than mine. The top bunk is really only for sleeping but it's close, very close to the ceiling. My top bunk folds up out of the way when not in use. Not sure if your build will account for that or not but it will give you a more open feeling when walking back to the bathroom.

I think this is a GREAT floorplan for the reasons you mentioned (full or queen bed takes up half the space of the van). I'm looking forward to seeing your build. Do you have a thread started with more details?
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:05 PM   #83
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Probably could have said that “Thinsulate was originally designed for clothing” and avoided the implication that it was not marketed by 3M for other applications later...
Indeed, many technologies brunched out to different business fields. If the chemist developing a glue didn’t fail, we wouldn’t have yellow stickies. Ink jet printing evolved from black/white to color then jumped to 3D.

Technology branching can be intentional or not. During the days of ThinkJet, the first ink jet printer from HP 35 years ago no one thought about 3D printing. ThinkJet landed in an HP museum already, but I am not planning yet. HP Computer Museum
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:09 PM   #84

A lot of interesting stuff here:
bobkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:27 PM   #85
Platinum Member

Thinsulate is marketed as an acoustical material not as an insulator in other than clothing though it has insulation properties. As an insulator it is sold as scrim backed 1.65" material (600L) with an overall R-value of 5.2 which is less than my current denim insulation which has an R-value of 8 and installs in nooks and crannies behind the ribs.

As I mentioned the denim insulation has proved itself over 4-1/2 years now and I know it's acoustical properties are probably better than Thinsulate as it is denser and compresses in the full thickness of the van walls. The properties along with Hushmat are about as good as it gets, IMO, since I know I can park next to semis running overnight in Walmart parking lots and barely hear them. I don't need anything better regardless as I will also have less window exposure.

Rockwool has many forms. I'll explore that. The jury is still out on Coachmen as to their system. I'd need to know more about it. It is encapsulated, it is not difficult to handle as Fiberglass. It supposedly is a better insulator than denim. Thinsulate and Rockwool are more expensive than denim.

As mentioned, I think Advanced RV has switched over to Thinsulate and that is who I am building with. I doubt they have experience with Rockwool. I know they've tried spray foam and quickly abandoned the idea for many reasons. So maybe it is out of my hands.

I've dealt with building insulation my whole career as an architect, certified construction specifier and LEED, building in all 50 states. There is no such thing as one system fits all conditions in a building. The problem with a van is it does have to compromise in all situations since it is a moving entity.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:54 PM   #86
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulight View Post
Looks a lot like my van:

Mine is on a 159wb 19ft promaster. Your bunk height looks WAY better than mine. The top bunk is really only for sleeping but it's close, very close to the ceiling. My top bunk folds up out of the way when not in use. Not sure if your build will account for that or not but it will give you a more open feeling when walking back to the bathroom.

I think this is a GREAT floorplan for the reasons you mentioned (full or queen bed takes up half the space of the van). I'm looking forward to seeing your build. Do you have a thread started with more details?
That is similar. I must admit I took my inspiration from a CS Riesemobile DUO with bunk beds from Germany I saw on the Alaska Highway camping at Muncho Lake. I liked it very much but hadn't thought about it until I desired to go shorter.

That back across the van bathroom is getting more popular. Sue Valentine's Advanced RV, Bucky, has one. My bathroom is not across the back but forward and is 38" x 31" with a 30" x 31" floor and much bigger than my current van.

How high off the floor is your top bunk and how do you get in it? Mine is designed at 50" and I want a skylight for looking more expansive though the bed to ceiling clearance is designed so my wife can sit up. Yes, my wife claimed to top bunk and I didn't argue as it was a key to her approval.

I may start a thread. I don't know if on Facebook, Instagram or here. I doubt I will create a blog site and I am not verbally articulate for Youtube since an expressive aphasia stroke diminished my presentation skills.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:11 PM   #87
Platinum Member

Beautiful. Do you have any other pictures? Is there a wet bath in the rear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulight View Post
Looks a lot like my van:

AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:01 AM   #88
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
That is similar. I must admit I took my inspiration from a CS Riesemobile DUO with bunk beds from Germany.
Welp, now I have a new dream floorplan! Checks so many boxes for me. Bunks AND a dinette, cassette toilet, wet bath. Storage is a bit limited compared to what I have now, but wow!
Old 03-21-2019, 12:01 AM   #89
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
Beautiful. Do you have any other pictures? Is there a wet bath in the rear?
I can post more. It's only a cassette toilet with exterior shower.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:29 AM   #90
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkfla View Post
A lot of interesting stuff here:
Thanks for sharing. For a winner I would vote for the Truma VarioHeat and the Incinerator Toilet would not get my vote, 1 gal of LPG to burn 5 gal of waste, wow, a 20lb tank would “treat” 20 gal. of waste.

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:43 PM   #91
Platinum Member

I was intrigued by the incinerator toilet. But it would likely only work for a single traveler. Seems like a great idea to me...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #92
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I was intrigued by the incinerator toilet. But it would likely only work for a single traveler. Seems like a great idea to me...
Not sure as folks show up at times with a lot of .... with them.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:58 PM   #93
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
It does seem to use a lot of propane but I also think it is an interesting way to handle waste, there is a toilet that does this using electric power but it takes a lot of watt hours to do the job.

I did notice from the video that LTV has several of the products they showed in the concept vehicle they showed at RVX, the fridge that opens both ways (may also be one in Wendland’s new Unity) and the multiplex control system from Dometic.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:30 PM   #94
Platinum Member

LTV is a strange company sometimes. Still on wet cell batteries. Still on 3 way fridges. But is starting multiplex wiring? Just odd. Thats gonna be a nightmare for the demographic. Seemed like Dean barely knew how to work the thing.
mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote