Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2016, 09:17 PM   #21
Platinum Member

The AC, solar etc are all priced out build options.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:12 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
I think that makes sense and is similar to how we plan to use a B. If it's hot enough to need AC we would most likely hook up at a camp ground. Most of the time windows and screens would be enough.

Too bad SafariCondo doesnt have a "build" setup... it would be nice to compare the costs of the options without having to contact them. We are about a year away but it would be interesting to cost out the options (solar, AC, etc) vs other manufacturers.
You have another thread concerning US Safari Condo builds with some idea about the cost of the conversion itself:

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f7...mx-4006-4.html

…For reference, I paid $37kUSD for the conversion on my Safari Condo Promaster MX. That included a number of options. I bought my diesel promaster for $31k....so the total was $68kUSD. Mine is built on the 136" wheelbase so it is shorter than the models being discussed.

…I was quoted just under 52K Canadian for a fully loaded Promaster XL Flex conversion using our van. That is only $41170 US dollars at todays exchange rates. I figure I can buy a US spec van for around $35K so for less than 76-77K you can have an incredible RV. Less than or maybe equal to a Travato and much better, at least for us.
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:49 PM   #23
Platinum Member

That seems very reasonably priced. Thank you for sharing. I emailed them to see some price details and ask some other questions.

Edit: removed build quality question after reading your post in the link you provided. Sounds like a great setup thanks for the info.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:17 AM   #24
Silver Member

Thanks. Pricing is just slightly higher than my 16 travato with all options. Less than I would have expected.

There is the convenience factor which was a deal killer for me a year ago, but I'm seriously considering a 4x4 sprinter build, so maybe I'll sell the travato and go safari...
riplips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:24 AM   #25
BBQ
Platinum Member

The dark exterior color looks nice.

I see there is a trend towards darker color.

Do you see any difference in interior temperature?

If you were to do it again, would you choose a lighter color?
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:38 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riplips View Post
Is there an option available from safari that sleeps two adults and two kids?

perhaps double bunks in the back?

Otherwise, I love this van!! I wish I would have waited and got a safari instead of a Travato. Id love to delete my Genny and AC!

Much more stealth look too.
Yes there is an option for a second double bed added under the flex bed at the back. Two young kids can sleep on the top platform. You can even rent one at Discount
https://www.discountquebec.com/en/re...tals/class-b-1

Old 06-22-2016, 01:29 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
The dark exterior color looks nice.
I see there is a trend towards darker color.
Do you see any difference in interior temperature?
If you were to do it again, would you choose a lighter color?
Love the non-RV look of the camper with the granite grey. I guess it must affect the interior temperature but it never bothered us. It's a metallic paint, not totally black and more than half the roof is covered with solar anyway.

I find that the ProMaster's "bulbous bumpers" stand-out too much when the vehicle is a lighter color. Upfitters started to paint them but then they can get scratched easily. I do a lot of city driving and parallel park it almost every day.

Would love to try the silver if I found a way to redesign the bumpers.
May consider it with the new nose job?

Old 06-22-2016, 02:47 PM   #28
BBQ
Platinum Member

The dark color looks sharp.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:47 AM   #29
Platinum Member

George. If you don't mind I have a few more questions.

How large is the bathroom shower on the Flex? I am 6' and wondering if I could stand and how much room to take occasional shower? I believe you looked at Roadtrek so wondering how they compare?

From your pics (thanks for link) it looks like the interior table can be used outside?

Also what setup do you have for heat and hot water? Does it work well for you or would you choose something different?

Finally, any other options you wish you had or would not get again?
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:13 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
George. If you don't mind I have a few more questions.

How large is the bathroom shower on the Flex? I am 6' and wondering if I could stand and how much room to take occasional shower? I believe you looked at Roadtrek so wondering how they compare?

From your pics (thanks for link) it looks like the interior table can be used outside?

Also what setup do you have for heat and hot water? Does it work well for you or would you choose something different?

Finally, any other options you wish you had or would not get again?
The bathroom is surprisingly large for a B. I'm 6'1" and shower in it everyday. Would love to have a fan (working on a solution with Safari Condo) but there's still some ventilation provided with openings in the enclosure. The solar panels are right above the enclosure, so the solution is to have a separate fan that sends the air to the main fantastic fan (they did that in the Sprinter Flex layout) or have an opening in the exterior wall. It's the only thing that needs to be solved.

Heat is provided by an optional very efficient Webasto gas (petrol) heater. You have the choice for hot water, either a Truma instant heater or a regular Suburban. Both propane.

Yes the table can be used outside with a mobile base that is normally used inside also. I installed a flange in the floor to have a more stable table.

All the available options :
http://www.safaricondo.com/pdf/carac..._safari_en.pdf

The table flange I installed

Old 06-24-2016, 10:07 PM   #31

nice vans. I contacted safari condo yesterday and their lead time for a build is 1 year plus. I'm gonna go another route as we are looking to purchase a coach in the next 2 months...
fullofdays is offline   Reply With Quote