Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2014, 12:08 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Safari Condo Ram ProMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
What about carrying capacity? No information on PWs website....
The GVWR of a Promaster is 9,350 lbs. vs. 10,360 for a Ford Transit and 11.030 lbs for a Sprinter. They are all expected to carry a couple of people, baggage, toys, water, waste, and similar appliances and equipment. You can do the math. The main differences would have to be tank capacities as few other things could be sacrificed.
Our fully loaded Safari Condo ProMaster (Fuel + 25 GAL water) was at 8531 lbs out of the max GVWR 9350 lbs
Very easy to load it up with the giant storage area under the FLEX bed with an electric lift at the back.

The ProMaster is a great, fun to drive van. Time will tell if it is reliable. Ours was built by Safari Condo in Quebec, Canada.
http://www.safaricondo.com/en/motorises_Promaster_FLEX

See our complete album at http://centrelab.smugmug.com/PERSO-G...docom/n-MNSpq/

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #2

Default Re: New 2015 Pleasure-Way Lexor on Ram ProMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB
The ProMaster is a great, fun to drive van. Time will tell if it is reliable. Ours was built by Safari Condo in Quebec, Canada.
GeorgeB, thanks for posting - I'm somewhat fascinated by this particular van, because it does some unique things we need. We could carry both full-sized mountain bikes and 2 folding kayaks under the big bed, and I like the large window opening area (as opposed to the smaller opening panes on most Sprinter Class Bs.)

A few questions:
- Is that 2 person bench seat comfortable as a living/dining room?
- Do you have enough wardrobe space?
- Any problems running the 2 refrigerators on battery/solar? And do you hear them run?

Thanks, and apologies for the slight thread hijack.
Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Re: Safari Condo Ram ProMaster

I split the posts from the Pleasure Way Promaster into a new Safari Condo Ram ProMaster topic.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
I split the posts from the Pleasure Way Promaster into a new Safari Condo Ram ProMaster topic.
Much appreciated - thanks!

Tom
Old 11-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Markopolo's back in the nick of time. Thanks for posting the Condo pics for us George B.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Wow! Just briefly looked through your album. Lots there.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:09 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Re: New 2015 Pleasure-Way Lexor on Ram ProMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB
GeorgeB, thanks for posting - I'm somewhat fascinated by this particular van, because it does some unique things we need. We could carry both full-sized mountain bikes and 2 folding kayaks under the big bed, and I like the large window opening area (as opposed to the smaller opening panes on most Sprinter Class Bs.)

A few questions:
- Is that 2 person bench seat comfortable as a living/dining room?
- Do you have enough wardrobe space?
- Any problems running the 2 refrigerators on battery/solar? And do you hear them run?

Thanks, and apologies for the slight thread hijack.
Tom
Thanks for the hijack mutcth.
- Is that 2 person bench seat comfortable as a living/dining room? _ Yes definitely, but the best seats in the house are the swivel cab seats, and the bench seats serves as a feet up "pouf",when we are only two, but the area is perfect for entertaining friends with the sliding door open (and the mosquito folding screen closed if necessary)
-- Do you have enough wardrobe space? _ There is a small but functional wardrobe near the bed, but we use the storage space over the cab to store our clothes in soft bags.
- Any problems running the 2 refrigerators on battery/solar? And do you hear them run? _ Nope, both are running fine with the 400W solar panels and are very quiet. I can leave the van in the same spot for weeks, running the two fridges, without shore power, as long as it's an open area. These fridges are very efficient for boondocking, because the small one near the sliding door is often opened (for drinks), but the bigger one for food at the back stays closed most of the time.

We carry the bikes inside under the bed, when needed (when parking in urban area), but most of the time on the exterior Thule rack. It's quicker to grab them.

The small wardrobe

The entertaining area /front dinette

Old 11-26-2014, 10:17 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
Markopolo's back in the nick of time. Thanks for posting the Condo pics for us George B.
My pleasure to share our experience.

There's another Campervan Bliss album of our summer outings
http://centrelab.smugmug.com/PERSO-GL/C ... S/n-hzQ76/

Old 11-26-2014, 11:23 PM   #9

Neat! Thanks for the answers to my questions. I see that Safari Condo is working on a Sprinter-based Flex model as well.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:40 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Neat! Thanks for the answers to my questions. I see that Safari Condo is working on a Sprinter-based Flex model as well.
Yes same proven layout as the ProMaster Flex. Same Flexibility with the electric lifted, outrageously comfortable queen-size bed.
Costlier van and longer vehicle by 2'. For us, living in a city, the Promaster 20'10" length is perfect.

See my Kampervan blog
https://flipboard.com/section/kampervan-bii6tz

My Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/kampervanfun?ref=hl

Old 11-27-2014, 11:27 AM   #11

Another question for you: how complicated is the bed's lift mechanism? It's not like Safari Condo is close-by for warranty work (it's across the border for us), and I get a bit spooked by beds that have motors...

I've driven a few Promasters and am impressed by their handling. But I confess: I wonder when/if a Ford Transit will get the Flex treatment. Has some of the Sprinter's advanced safety gear (available forward collision warning) but with a gasoline engine and more dealers.

Tom
Old 11-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Another question for you: how complicated is the bed's lift mechanism? It's not like Safari Condo is close-by for warranty work (it's across the border for us), and I get a bit spooked by beds that have motors...

I've driven a few Promasters and am impressed by their handling. But I confess: I wonder when/if a Ford Transit will get the Flex treatment. Has some of the Sprinter's advanced safety gear (available forward collision warning) but with a gasoline engine and more dealers.

Tom
The FLEX bed is a fairly simple, single shaft, 6amp motor-driven mechanism. On the Safari Condo it's italian made. Don't know the manufacturer. Their are several manufacturers in Europe of these systems. This option costs 2000$ on the Safari Condo base price of 83 000$ CDN. Looks and feels sturdy. Safari Condo used their aluminum sandwich panel (made for the Alto trailers) for the bed base, light and strong, dosen't "flex"!. The bed is amazingly stable. Attached on two side rails.

Who knows, maybe Safari Condo will transform a Ford Transit in the future. I don't find Ford Transit van dimensions ideal for van conversion, too high or too low. The cab chassis version is often used for class Cs in Europe.
Looking forward when Safari Condo will offer conversions on the new 4x4 Sprinter.

The other simple option for you is to a install fixed height, fixed bed. I could live with a bed positioned at mid height (just over the 33" counter height), to clear the bikes. Have sliders for the cargo underneath. True, the van feels less crowded when the bed is at the lowest position, and when it's hot it's nice to lie low.

A photo of the bed being installed at the Safari Condo factory
See the switch on the right side. There's another switch to control it from the inside.

You can look at bigger images on http://centrelab.smugmug.com/PERSO-G...docom/n-MNSpq/

Old 12-05-2014, 10:44 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I love the usefulness of this model... I just wish they had dealers here in/near Texas, because I'm sure there would be people buying them left and right.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:55 AM   #14
Platinum Member

George, thank you for posting the details of your sCondo.i am trying to cost compare so if you don't mind some questions...

What is the electrical setup? Looking at the website it looks like 2 AGM's and no option for a typical generator? Do you have a separate generator or using a second/large alternator?

From reading your posts I think you mentioned your solar is keeping up well for charging? What is your solar setup (# of panels, size , etc)
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:31 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
George, thank you for posting the details of your sCondo.i am trying to cost compare so if you don't mind some questions...

What is the electrical setup? Looking at the website it looks like 2 AGM's and no option for a typical generator? Do you have a separate generator or using a second/large alternator?

From reading your posts I think you mentioned your solar is keeping up well for charging? What is your solar setup (# of panels, size , etc)
It's a great set-up. We have 2 AGMs that total 190Ah, which is more than enough, with our 380W (4) solar panels, to power our 2 fridges in sunny conditions. When boondocking in dense and rainy forest we drive once in a while to recharge the batteries with our standard single upgraded 220A alternator.

Would love to have Lithium for peace of mind (and ice cold beer- love it almost frozen - when boondocking in 90 deg heat - we lower the temperature of the front fridge) but will wait until the AGMs battery bank dies (probably of old age more than having been mistreated!). We added a Trimetric meter which is very instructive for our energy usage. Still no simple and cheap off the shelf Lithium systems that could be installed easily (need to redo the whole set-up, including the controllers).

It works very well, why fix it. Waiting for all the courageous forum members and up-fitters to do their thorough R&D before deciding which system to install. Nice to have retrofit projects ahead and still unresolved.

The specs of all Safari Condo campers: http://www.safaricondo.com/pdf/carac...anv_2016v2.pdf

My album of the van: https://centrelab.smugmug.com/PERSO-...docom/n-MNSpq/

The web site: Ram - ProMaster FLEX

The solar array:

Boondocking Bliss for 10 days on the Magdalen Islands (Quebec)

Old 06-21-2016, 02:51 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Thanks for the details. That's helpful. So to summarize you dont have a traditional generator but use the standard 220 alternator. Are you able to run the Air Conditioner with the engine running and an inverter or only run the Air Conditioner when you are plugged in?

Looking at the prices Safari Condo seems like a good deal if you can handle the transaction of bringing a van across the border.,
Old 06-21-2016, 03:08 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
Thanks for the details. That's helpful. So to summarize you dont have a traditional generator but use the standard 220 alternator. Are you able to run the Air Conditioner with the engine running and an inverter or only run the Air Conditioner when you are plugged in?

Looking at the prices Safari Condo seems like a good deal if you can handle the transaction of bringing a van across the border.,
No generator. Safari Condo didn't install one single generator in all it's 2000 campers that were built. We seldom use our AC, only possible when plugged in.

Most of the time we create an air flow by opening all the huge glass awning windows (a Safari Condo special design - see photo) and attach the back mosquito screen with the front collapsible slide screen. We don't like the feeling of being stuck inside with the noisy AC. Only used it when camping in Virginia in the scorching and humid summer heat. Had the feeling we were camping in a private jet!

Old 06-21-2016, 05:25 PM   #18
Platinum Member

I think that makes sense and is similar to how we plan to use a B. If it's hot enough to need AC we would most likely hook up at a camp ground. Most of the time windows and screens would be enough.

Too bad SafariCondo doesnt have a "build" setup... it would be nice to compare the costs of the options without having to contact them. We are about a year away but it would be interesting to cost out the options (solar, AC, etc) vs other manufacturers.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:20 PM   #19
Silver Member

Is there an option available from safari that sleeps two adults and two kids?

perhaps double bunks in the back?

Otherwise, I love this van!! I wish I would have waited and got a safari instead of a Travato. Id love to delete my Genny and AC!

Much more stealth look too.
riplips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:16 PM   #20
Platinum Member

You can get queen bunk beds (the top one height adjustable) in the rear and also there's a portable bed that sits over the driver and passenger seats. Could sleep 5 total.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote