Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #21
Bronze Member

hi everyone, i did not know how many replies i would get back on this question. I did not want to sound like i am crazy or paranoid . I just felt that a lot of Americans like my self have firearms and i just wanted to know if you have the right to bring a long something just in case. Like i said in the first post i am new at this sleeping in the woods and camping . I guess i watch too much discovery I.D. lol.... Thanks for all your replies and hope to see you on the road, be safe.
Thanks John
machado11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:20 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by machado11 View Post
.......... if you have the right to bring a long something just in case.
Pros and cons if you read through this thread. Just be advised, states and localities (and countries, if you travel to Canada) vary on regulations regarding firearms - Some states and localities require that a person obtain a license or permit in order to purchase or possess firearms and some require that individual firearms be registered with the police or with another law enforcement agency.

Seems like a thorough summary on Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_la...tates_by_state

If you decide to bring one along, check before you leave home.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:27 PM   #23
Gold Member

Under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, which pre-empts conflicting state law, transporting firearms across state lines in an RV is the same as any other automobile. The gun should be unloaded and stored in the back of the RV in a locked compartment. It should never be in the glove compartment or center console. The key to transporting a firearm is that it should never be where you or someone else can easily reach while driving, and it must be unloaded.

Obviously this is all irrelevant if you cross into Canada. Long guns are permitted (after purchase of a permit) in Canada, but handguns are prohibited.

Read more: Traveling Cross Country With A Gun In Your RV
NorthPotomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:55 PM   #24
Gold Member

But I should add that once you stop (for the night, not for gas or to eat) your RV becomes like a residence, and state law can vary. For instance, New York law says that if you are traveling across the state and can legally possess the firearm where you started and where you are going you can transport it legally with no issues, but if you stop in NY and spend the night at a campground or hotel, you are in violation of NY law and can be arrested if found with a firearm without a permit to be in possession of it. In my opinion such laws are of dubious constitutionality, but of course it is risky and expensive to challenge a state law in court.

Finally, of course, the constitution limits a state's rights to search your vehicle.
NorthPotomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:01 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Since this could be a topic of it's own I'm going to start a new thread on bringing firearms into Canada.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #26
Bronze Member

Hi all, I am only talking about a shotgun.
thanks, John
machado11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:40 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by machado11 View Post
Hi all, I am only talking about a shotgun.
But still a "firearm"in as far as I can tell in some states. Just be aware that each state has different laws regarding possession, transport, and use of firearms and ammunition. If you are in compliance with those laws, all is fine. If not......your choice.