Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 PM   #1

Default Safety First

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I am soon taking my teenage son on a road trip all over America and will be working from my computer. I have no specific plan to return at any particular time so this will be our home for a while. My highest priority is safety while we are in our mobile dwelling. I am torn between something like a roadtrek because it will be equipped with everything we might need to eat and have heat and everything, but it looks like a camper. Otherwise I am thinking about a Chevy Express but would have to fix it up myself and really want to get going. How do you stay safe in a camper van that looks like a camper van. Do you have trouble parking? Do you have more trouble finding a place to sleep? Do you think it's less safe than something more "stealthy"?

Thanks!
lynnnriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:27 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Safety First

Yes, a Roadtrek looks like a camper. That doesn't necessarily make it a target. It will have window curtains/blinds all around. No one can look in when they're drawn. Take along a steering wheel club, to lock the wheel when you're out. Install an alarm system if you think it's necessary.
I can't imagine why a class B would have a harder time parking or finding a place to sleep than a Chevvy Express.
I believe a van with out-of-province or out-of-state license plates is just as vulnerable as a camper.
I'm not familiar with the lower states in USA, but I think I am right on for Canada and the North West Territories and Alaska.
All IMHO. Best wishes!
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
g1g
Platinum Member

I'm not sure if you have something or going to buy or rent a vehicle or what. If you want a more stealthy look in a camper try looking at Sportmobile.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:50 AM   #4

Lynn,

Take a look through Glenn's blog To Simplify. He has lived in what are obviously small RVs all over the US for a couple of years now.

Best wishes!
tismark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

You can remove the Roadtrek badges and such to try to make it a little less obvious.
I believe some people prefer it without the banners all over the van, but it still looks a bit like an RV.
The curtained windows and exhaust and intake ports for the furnace, refrigerator, water heater, are also
giveaways.
There's another member on here who also has a website about his life full timing in a class B. He would also
be an excellent source of info, I'd think. His website is
http://www.vantramps.com/

Best wishes to you on your adventure.