Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2017, 01:17 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Sanitizing water system...

So my Roadtrek manual recommended sanitizing the water system after any long period of non-use. They recommended 2 lt. of bleach to a full tank of water, flush, then fill for use.
Man, we're on our third subsequent tank of fresh water and still smelling bleach in the water.
Has anyone got a word of advise about water systems?
Craig.Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:05 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig.Evans View Post
So my Roadtrek manual recommended sanitizing the water system after any long period of non-use. They recommended 2 lt. of bleach to a full tank of water, flush, then fill for use.
Are you sure of that? That is WAY more bleach than I have ever seen recommended. The rule of thumb I am familiar with is to multiply "gallons of tank capacity" by 0.13; the result is the ounces of bleach needed to sanitize the tank.

So, for a 30 gallon tank, you would use like 4 oz of bleach. 2 liters seems crazy. You ARE supposed to let this mixture work for several hours. I guess maybe the 2L is intended as a "shock" treatment. But, you will pay the price for haste, as you have discovered.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
Bronze Member

RT manual I have say to put 2 cups bleach to 2 gallons water. Fill the tank and add the mix. run water let sit a hour and drain. I read somewhere you can refill and vinegar to the water to take out the bleach smell.
Woodpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
Platinum Member

My RT manual (2013) suggests using 1/2 cup bleach for 30 gallon tank, consistent with Avanti's guideline.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I use pool shock, about a table spoon in the tank a few days before trip ( from stored with dry tank) with about 10 gallons water added.
the granules are easy to handle.

let it slosh around while i go to costco and air up the tires, get supplies etc.
the chlorine vapour released will help to sanitize areas that the water mix doesnt hit.

run through all the taps and toilets- much of it going to the grey and black tank to clean them

allow to sit a couple of days

then drain fresh tank and add however much water you want (we don;t travel with full tanks unless headed for destination known to not have water- so usually we will have a just a few gallons.)

we have a pool, so used to dealing with chemicals and by smell how much is too much.
household bleach is usually 4~7%
liquid bleach from poolstore is usually 15~20%
sodium dichlor- the pool shock is a stronger concentration by volume- so just a table spoon will do it.

For the most part we use the tank water for flushing and cooking, cleaning etc, we usually carry 3 gallon jugs of known good water for drinking and coffee

Mike

I learned this here:

How to Sanitize Your RV Fresh Water System
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:37 PM   #6
Site Team

Speaking of sanitizing, there is one step that is rarely noted:
As part of the process, you should carefully OVERFILL the fresh tank until water squirts out of the tank vent. The vent tube (which is often long) is always damp and so is a breeding ground of mold and bacteria. You really want to get bleach solution through that tube once in awhile.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:32 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Great point Avanti. Like sanitizing a water bottle when hiking you turn it up side down with the lid loose so it flows over the rim , lid and top threads
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #8
Platinum Member

For my '99 EVC:

1. Prepare a chlorine solution using 1 gallon of
water and 1/4 cup of household bleach (sodium hypochlorite solution). With tank empty, pour chlorine solution into the tank. Use 1 gallon solution for each 15 gallons of tank capacity. This procedure will result in a residual chlorine concentration of 50 ppm in the water system. If a 100 ppm concentration is required as discussed in item 3, use 1/2 cup of household bleach with 1 gallon of water to prepare the chlorine solution. One gallon of the solution should be used for each 15 gallons of tank capacity.

2. Complete filling of tank with fresh water. Open each faucet and run the water until a distinct odor of chlorine can be detected in the water discharged.

3. Allow the system to stand at least 4 hours when disinfecting with 50 ppm residual chlorine. If a shorter time period is desired, then a 100 ppm chlorine concentration should be permitted to stand in the system for at least 1 hour.

4. Drain and flush with fresh water.
Old 06-13-2021, 12:55 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Who are the experts?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:41 AM   #10
Platinum Member

I read somewhere that baking soda in the tank helps alleviate bleach smells after doing a sanitizing. Drain bleach solution out. Add fresh water with BS and run through faucets, etc. Then drain and fill with fresh water. Never tried it though.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:11 AM   #11

Question on this topic. Once you have bleached, agitated and drained the tanks of the bleach by running the water. If I run fresh water through the system and drain, how long could I safely wait before filling my tanks for travel? I’m wondering if I jumped the gun with my bleach/sanitizing as I’m about ten days out from travel.

We don’t drink what comes out of the system (use bottled) but still don’t want to rush anything. Thanks.
Thomas1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:13 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1234 View Post
Question on this topic. Once you have bleached, agitated and drained the tanks of the bleach by running the water. If I run fresh water through the system and drain, how long could I safely wait before filling my tanks for travel? I’m wondering if I jumped the gun with my bleach/sanitizing as I’m about ten days out from travel.

We don’t drink what comes out of the system (use bottled) but still don’t want to rush anything. Thanks.
If I understand your question, it doesn't matter. The sanitization happens when the bleach-laden water is sitting in the tank (several hours at least). Once you drain and rinse, you are good to go. Do it again once or twice a year.