Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2019, 02:51 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Sanitizing Water Tanks the Easy Way: Dichlor

I started using Dichlor granules a few years ago and it is a lot less hassle than bleach. I use 1/8 teaspoon to treat the 10 gallon internal tank in my RT 210. Use double that for 20 gallon tank, or triple if you have 30 gallon tank.

Here is the article that describes its use. https://www.heartlandowners.org/arch...p/t-14247.html

Here is where I got the Dichlor. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ustomerReviews

I filled a small pill bottle to keep in the Roadtrek. I have used about half the bottle in 4 years, sanitizing 2-3 times a year. One huge advantage is there is no nasty taste or smell after sanitizing. And it does not loose potency like a bottle of bleach does after opening. And I always have it onboard in case a water source is bad and I need to sanitize while on the road. I carry a small water bottle that I mix it in and then pour in the water tank using a small funnel and flex tube.

Also, be very careful with Dichlor as it is very concentrated and can cause a chemical burn if you get it on you.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Maybe you have to be a forum member to access your first link. I got invalid link message. Same for amazon link. Got the "Sorry can't find that page" message.

I will research dichlor however.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:55 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Maybe you have to be a forum member to access your first link. I got invalid link message. Same for amazon link. Got the "Sorry can't find that page" message.
I fixed the links. Please check them to make sure they work.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:37 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

I have never 'admitted' how I sanitize, but it is not by the book, homegrown. But I know someone will correct my thinking here. I like easy too, but effective and that might be the downfall.

Way back I decided on double the chlorine Roadtrek recommend in their manual. I thought putting the chlorine in a gallon bucket and mixing was a waste and not the simple, easy method. I purchased a Quick Fill Pigtail with Shut-Off, like this to fill the 2 fresh water tanks"

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I fill the tank with about 2 gallons simply using time interval. Then I shut off the water. Pick up another Quick Fill Pigtail with Shut-Off and pour in the chlorine. Put the other one back in and turn on the water. Then the usual, go for a drive, turn on the faucets......................

I carry an extra 3 gallons for more water because fresh water is the weak link, not dumping the tanks. I drink both the additional water and water from the fresh water tanks. Never been sick.

I found interesting: Recently I was getting ready for a trip, so I sanitized. Leaving did work out, so I just left the water without finishing the job. About 3-4 week later it was time to leave, so I emptied the fresh water tanks. I was surprised how much chlorine was left, I thought that it would have evaporated, NO. Strong smell. I'm still home *%#@^%$#^%.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:19 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
I fixed the links. Please check them to make sure they work.
Yep. Both links work now.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:32 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
I started using Dichlor granules a few years ago and it is a lot less hassle than bleach. I use 1/8 teaspoon to treat the 10 gallon internal tank in my RT 210. Use double that for 20 gallon tank, or triple if you have 30 gallon tank.

Here is the article that describes its use. https://www.heartlandowners.org/arch...p/t-14247.html

Here is where I got the Dichlor. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ustomerReviews

I filled a small pill bottle to keep in the Roadtrek. I have used about half the bottle in 4 years, sanitizing 2-3 times a year. One huge advantage is there is no nasty taste or smell after sanitizing. And it does not loose potency like a bottle of bleach does after opening. And I always have it onboard in case a water source is bad and I need to sanitize while on the road. I carry a small water bottle that I mix it in and then pour in the water tank using a small funnel and flex tube.

Also, be very careful with Dichlor as it is very concentrated and can cause a chemical burn if you get it on you.

So do you have to rinse out the tanks each time or can you just use the water? The link says the guy uses the stuff with every fill up. We bring a small Aquatainer for drinking and coffee but wash dishes and bathe from the onboard tanks.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:45 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
So do you have to rinse out the tanks each time or can you just use the water? The link says the guy uses the stuff with every fill up. We bring a small Aquatainer for drinking and coffee but wash dishes and bathe from the onboard tanks.
I drain the tank and refill. We usually bring some bottled water to drink, but cook and make up 1/2 gallon of lemonade with the tank water.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:12 PM   #8
Platinum Member

This subject was discussed at ARV Fest last month (not Dichlor). The presenters said the freshwater tank was a closed system and that unsanitized conditions should not occur any more than delivery of your water faucet in your home. That was said because chlorinated water was assumed to be used. Some filters remove the chlorination and some refill sources may not have chlorinated water. That’s the caveat. Introducing bleach and pink anti-freeze of course affects your water temporarily mainly in taste but is not harmful. Know what I know in this is I will tend to flush my tank at home with fresh chlorinated water before any trip without a filter or than a particle filter. In 13 years of camper vanning I’ve never detected any foul odors or taste. We do use filtered water for cooking, coffee and filling personal water bottles. I brush my teeth and take my pills from faucet water. We test any water while on the road by filling first the gallon jugs to see. The last campground had a severe iron taste and we passed on it.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:05 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
This subject was discussed at ARV Fest last month (not Dichlor). The presenters said the freshwater tank was a closed system and that unsanitized conditions should not occur any more than delivery of your water faucet in your home. That was said because chlorinated water was assumed to be used. Some filters remove the chlorination and some refill sources may not have chlorinated water. That’s the caveat. Introducing bleach and pink anti-freeze of course affects your water temporarily mainly in taste but is not harmful. Know what I know in this is I will tend to flush my tank at home with fresh chlorinated water before any trip without a filter or than a particle filter. In 13 years of camper vanning I’ve never detected any foul odors or taste. We do use filtered water for cooking, coffee and filling personal water bottles. I brush my teeth and take my pills from faucet water. We test any water while on the road by filling first the gallon jugs to see. The last campground had a severe iron taste and we passed on it.
Good idea to test the water with a jug first. I will do that from now on. We use bottled water for coffee and drinking but do clean the dishes, wash hands, etc. with the faucet water (connected to campground).
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:05 PM   #10

I believe your safest sanitizer is Starsans. Here is a description from a website that sells this - it is used by home brewers to sanitize their equipment.
Our favorite sanitizer! Star San is an acid-based no-rinse sanitizer that is effective and easy to use.
Made from food-grade phosphoric acid, safe for people and the environment.
Star San is self-foaming, which helps it to penetrate cracks and crevices.
Odorless and flavorless, no need to worry about tainting your beer or wine.
Does not require rinsing when used at the recommended dilution.
Use only 1 oz Star San per 5 gallons of water and just 1 to 2 minutes of contact time.
Used as a soaking solution, it can also be applied by hand (wear gloves) or with a spray bottle.
Reusable: a solution of Star San will remain effective for up to three to four weeks in a sealed container; it is effective as long as the pH is 3 or lower.
schaal701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:10 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaal701 View Post
I believe your safest sanitizer is Starsans.
Why do you believe that it is safer than bleach?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Why do you believe that it is safer than bleach?
It leaves no flavors while bleach does. Also if used as directed it needs no rinsing. Also keep in mind this is what most homebrewers use to reduce the wrong things from ruining their beer.
schaal701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #13
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
It leaves no flavors while bleach does. Also if used as directed it needs no rinsing. Also keep in mind this is what most homebrewers use to reduce the wrong things from ruining their beer.
So, how does a Virus, all of them, like the stuff?
Old 06-09-2019, 08:16 PM   #14
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
So, how does a Virus, all of them, like the stuff?
What if someone does not maintain their fresh water tank(s) appropriately and mold forms?
Old 06-09-2019, 08:23 PM   #15
Gold Member

Quote:
I believe your safest sanitizer is Starsans. Here is a description from a website that sells this - it is used by home brewers to sanitize their equipment.
Our favorite sanitizer! Star San is an acid-based no-rinse sanitizer that is effective and easy to use.
Made from food-grade phosphoric acid, safe for people and the environment.
Star San is self-foaming, which helps it to penetrate cracks and crevices.
Odorless and flavorless, no need to worry about tainting your beer or wine.
Does not require rinsing when used at the recommended dilution.
Use only 1 oz Star San per 5 gallons of water and just 1 to 2 minutes of contact time.
Used as a soaking solution, it can also be applied by hand (wear gloves) or with a spray bottle.
Reusable: a solution of Star San will remain effective for up to three to four weeks in a sealed container; it is effective as long as the pH is 3 or lower.
Sorry but I am confused.....It says "does not require rinsing" but in the next line it gives mixing instructions and says "just 1 to 2 minutes of contact time" which, to me, suggests flushing??? And the next line says can be applied by hand (wear gloves) suggesting, to me, skin contact is not good....

I'm going to research this because it sounds easy but my initial reaction - I am not sure I would want to ingest something that requires gloves to handle.
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:25 PM   #16
Bronze Member

It's my understanding that if you fill from sources in the USA you don't have to worry about viruses. The reason for sanitizing tanks is to kill any mold or algae that grew while the tank was unused for several months.

If you're worried about viruses, you need to treat the water before you drink it. I'd use Aquamira - Chlorine Dioxide Water Treatment Two Part Liquid for that. You can drink the treated water. Hikers use it.

Aquamira is also used to treat water that will be stored for emergency use. If you travel with a FULL fresh water tank, you could treat the tank water and store it between trips.
ikanode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:34 PM   #17
Silver Member

Default Santitizing fresh water

I am sure this will be the source of much concern, but after I de-winterize our 210 and flush out the tanks I simply completely refill the tanks (there are two, front and back) with fresh water, add a half a cup of non-scented bleach to each tank and I leave it in there. I do not flush it out. We don't use the coach water for drinking, but we do cook and shower with it. I don't believe a cup of bleach in 30 gallons of water can do us much harm. It thoroughly sanitizes the complete system and gradually dilutes as you add new water. It is simple and effective. Works for me.
jbucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #18
Bronze Member

[QUOTE=jbucking;94644 I don't believe a cup of bleach in 30 gallons of water can do us much harm.[/QUOTE]

Ascorbic acid or vitamin C neutralizes chlorine in water. If you ever needed to drink it, add a little of either one or just make a batch of Kool-Aid. (Any drink mix with Vitamin C.)
ikanode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:18 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Earlier I attached it to wrong post -
Is it really safe? It would depend on perspective and beliefs. If your body is immune to phosphoric acid, surfactant, and isopropyl alcohol than it is OK. I am glad that our municipal water folks use chlorine not phosphoric acid nor isopropyl alcohol nor surfactants, who would be paying taxes.

https://www.jstrack.org/brewing/msds/starsan.pdf
https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/s...rm+@DOCNO+6285
Attached Images
File Type: png sdhgsh.png (155.7 KB, 10 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:06 PM   #20
Silver Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikanode View Post
Ascorbic acid or vitamin C neutralizes chlorine in water. If you ever needed to drink it, add a little of either one or just make a batch of Kool-Aid. (Any drink mix with Vitamin C.)
Sounds Good. Thank you.
jbucking is offline   Reply With Quote