Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
Ann

Default Saying hi...

Hey everyone, wandered in here from google looking for considerations when purchasing a class B. I've resided in a stationary 25' Airstream trailer for the past several years and while I haven't made up my mind if I might fulltime in a class B, it does sound like fun.

So you might find me hanging around asking a few stupid questions. I intend to buy used and also have fuel efficiency concerns. Any general advice?
Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Saying hi...

Welcome to the forum Ann. Ask as many questions as you want.

B vans will vary from about 12 mpg to 22 mpg. You should be able find one that does at least 15 mpg.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Hi
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Ann,

Your in good company. Stupid is stupid so I answer stupid questions. I too started out my RVing life after 40 some years tent camping with a 25 foot Airstream trailer. It too was rather stationary. That's why I got a B.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Hi!
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Welcome and hope you enjoy this board. A lot of nice people here, and best of all we're B lovers. I hung out here a while and finally got our B, so and now I are one. Love it and you will too. No question is dumb, but not knowing the answer is.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
g1g
Platinum Member

hi and welcome. You landed on a great forum. I think some of these folks go out of their way to help and answer questions and are very polite making it a pleasure to be here. It seems everyone knows something special in a variety of areas and gathering our heads together results in answers. I personally do not have the experiance that many here do but even I can answer a question now and then.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
Bronze Member

It's going to be quite a bit more expensive to purchase, however, if your really serious about higher fuel mileage, you should check out the Sprinter based class B's.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:00 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Re buying for fuel economy.I haven't really seen any Sprinters for much less than $40,000 and many nice Class Bs from $10,000 to $30,000.How much fuel can you buy for the difference?
Old 10-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Welcome to this fine forum. There is a lot of info here and I strongly suggest you ask any questions that interest you as chances are pretty good someone here will have an answer for you.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
Re buying for fuel economy.I haven't really seen any Sprinters for much less than $40,000 and many nice Class Bs from $10,000 to $30,000.How much fuel can you buy for the difference?
Everyone has his/her preferences. Fuel mileage or fuel savings is but one consideration. Even I admit gasoline would be a lot more convenient, but no way would I consider a Chevy or Ford conversion over a Sprinter for a host of reasons.

Actually I don't see a lot of difference with the V6 diesel anymore. With my I5 Sprinter I enjoyed more the long range ability of going over 500 miles and up to 600 miles on a fill. Now with the same 26 gallon tank my limit is around 400 miles. Part of that is the low fuel warning light now comes on at about 100 miles range to go instead of 50 on the I5. The V6 also gets about 4 MPG less same drivers/same driver habits/similar locations. My history now is 18.5 vs 22.5 on my older Sprinter.

Sprinters hold their value well. I witnessed that when I traded in.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Davydd. I meant to say that if buying used a person could save tens of thousands of dollars buying a gas coach ( simply more around and older as well ) over a diesel. How much fuel can you buy for $ 20,000 ? Was my question. I too wish to some day own a Sprinter based motorhome but it with be more for the larger taller rv than the MPG which no doubt is a plus. I bet the diesel will prove to have a longer operational life as well which is a big plus. Right now as you very aptly stated,they hold their value keeping them pricey. It's hard to go anywhere when you rv payment is too high.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
Platinum Member

It is kind of a spend it now or spend it later question but it does take a lot of miles fuel difference to equal out. I'd guess 80,000 or more miles without doing any detailed math. Given that, I doubt many people hang onto a B for that many miles though I know a few that have done so.

It might be a few more years yet before you will ever see bargains for Sprinter Bs below $20,000 like you do other models. They have been around for only a decade and comparatively there are not that many from even that period.