Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2017, 08:03 PM   #1
Gold Member

Question Searching for advise...

WE LOVE OUR ROADTREK! Just completed our first run up the East Coast without issue in our new to us 2014 Roadtrek 190 Popular. Consistently we averaged 16.7 MPG traveling at 65 MPH. Only issue we had before departure was with the “Power Inserter” on the standard at the time, amplified Solé Omni-Directional TV antenna, model SAHD400. Other than that Big Edna II ran like a charm.

Seems that every time I plugged the 110 power into the “Power Inserter,” the 5 amp fuse would pop. After trouble shooting the issue and consulting with the manufacturer we narrowed it down to potentially a damaged/faulty “Power Inserter” or power supply. Regrettably the SAHD400 is no longer in production nor are spare parts e.g. “Power Inserter” available. Luckily good old Wally World (Wal Mart) came through and I found the Winegard LNA-100 Boost Ultra Low Noise TV Antenna Amplifier. I ordered it for under $20.00 and installed it in place of the Solé equipment. I kept my fingers crossed, plugged everything in, checked all connections again, did an Air Scan and viola, TV!!! Not many channels but TV non the less. The other benny of the new amp is that it is powered with 12V via cable from the USB connector on the TV.

The issue that I have now with the system is cosmetic. Seems that the original Solé antenna has faded and taken a dingy yellowish tone to it. I don’t like it. So I have to either;

a. Paint the external antenna, however I am hesitant about doing this as I do not know if I will experiences any signal degradation due to the paint? I have been told to make sure that whatever paint I used it has not metal in it.

Or I can;

b. Install a new antenna, which in reality this would be my preference but unfortunately I cannot find a stationary, Omni-Directional antenna with the same or similar foot print as the existing one. I really don’t want to drill any more holes into the roof if at all possible. Additionally I do not know how difficult it would be to run new coax between the roof and side wall? If I could make it happen by snapping my fingers, I would like to run with a Winegard Roadstar 3000, Omni-Directional Antenna, in Black RS-3035.

If anyone can provide any suggestions/comments/ideas or advice, please feel free to respond. Until I pull the trigger, I’ll keep on motoring with the yellow antenna. Thanks to all and I look forward to collaborating with you.

Best. Shorty (aka Shore-T) sends...
Shore-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

I would leave the antenna alone.

I won't bother painting it.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:00 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Do you mean "inverter"...turns DC into AC power?

LNA100, I use one of those on my home TV antenna works well.

My PW lexor has a winegard antenna amplifier/ cable selector # RV 7042 works well.

I did a bunch of antenna stuff last year replacing an older system.

I have a manual rotating type RZ-6000
I can pick up Tucson towers at 108 miles away- kinda cheating, their towers are at 8000 feet

in practical use we get plenty plenty channels if we don;t have mtn between us and the antennas ( digital signals are very directional- line of sight)

and i use an app to help my aim the antenna.

if TV is important you could always get a tripod and use that when parked

a newer unit like yours, the TV may have a media player built in, plug a thumbdrive in the usb loaded with movies

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:42 AM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

TV antennas will soon pass...

Cell tower is more important -- everything is on the internet now.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote