Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2015, 10:06 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Default Re: second thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJones
When we purchased our new to us RT, I never really thought about the generator. The unit we finally bought had one. Over 4 years later, am I glad it did.
Sure it has its drawbacks - it's noisy and requires regular exercise. But with our travel style, we find it useful enough to outweigh the disadvantages. Also, it's parked right next to the house, so with the Onan close by, we don't worry about power failures and what can happen to the contents of our house freezer!

We have often used it in shopping center parking lots without issues. We usually park on the edge of the lot, and no one seems to care. If someone does walk by, they might give the RT a look, but it seems more like a surprised look that such a small vehicle has a generator. When having lunch we can have the A/C going and use the microwave, toaster, small oven, etc.

From what I have read, the jury is still out as to whether having the engine (gas or diesel) run at idle for long periods of time is harmful. In my mind, it just doesn't make sense. The Onan is designed to do just that.

It's true that I don't have a huge battery bank, solar and a powerful inverter. That might change my mind on the road.

Bill
Hi Bill( Sherbrooke--been there often when lived in Ottawa)
Seems we share the same perspective and use our unit for many of the same purposes. I DO prefer the LP onan in my unit to the gas ones I had in my previous two C classes. They seemed noisier and more prone to bulkiness especially if left a long time without use or no Stabil in the tank. I am sceptical of running a gas engine to charge batteries--might be ok in a diesel. I just wouldn't do it. Greetings from sunny Vancouver Island where there are more RV places to visit or stay per KM(mile if you are in USA) than anywhere I have been in the past.
AL
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #42
Platinum Member

since i changed my mind and got the engine generator-i thought about how to keep just the cat's cool.

i've decided to take a shot with a swamp cooler. it is 12 volts and uses 3 dc amps per hour-it just uses water must get with the special 'air intake hose'-the intake hose is key

i will combine the fantastic vent,rear section windows refextict, and hanging reflextic blocking back seven feet of zion from front(one foot gap over this sort of wall). with the swamp cooler on the floor in the back facing forward. i hope to keep the space between the zions back beds cool for a place for the cats if they want it by using the 'reflectix wall' i will shrink the back area to less than 200 cubic ft.

i bought this swamp cooler and yes the total price with intake hose and extra filters was 450.00 dollars -it's for the cats-lol

http://swampy.net/win.html

win3

this chart shows that humidity drops from morning to afternoon-which is the time of day the cats would need it.

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/U ... -state.php

i only need to keep a small area cool for them.

this video of a customer using the win3 part-he got the dual sytem gives me the idea this might work to a degree. remember though the temperature he shows is NOT his entire van-just the air in front of him i think this small section will cool the cats

one more thing i found out-humid air rises-i originally thought opposite i'm thinking the fantastic fan will slowly pull forward the warmer humid air

the temperature versus humidity chart 1/2 way down this page gives some info-if it is less than 60 degrees humidity-or closer to 50 humidity i think there is a shot

http://www.air-n-water.com/Common-Swamp-Mistakes.htm

i will have this sensor around floor level in the back that can remotely monitored

http://www.amazon.com/Elertus-Sensor-Re ... ds=elertus
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #43
Platinum Member

I think you may even do better for the cats than the temp chart would indicate, because of evaporative cooling on the cats themselves. They don't sweat, so moisture coming out of the cooler will probably get on them as water. If they are warmer than the air, it will evaporate even is it is 100% humidity, to some extent. Cats don't sweat, so that can be a much bigger benefit to them than humans, and misting works well for us, too. If you can work out a tiny mister, even a cool water vaporizer like you would use when sick, it could be a big benefit to the critters, especially with the airflow from the cooler helping.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:10 PM   #44
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
since i changed my mind and got the engine generator-i thought about how to keep just the cat's cool.

i've decided to take a shot with a swamp cooler. it is 12 volts and uses 3 dc amps per hour-it just uses water must get with the special 'air intake hose'-the intake hose is key

i will combine the fantastic vent,rear section windows refextict, and hanging reflextic blocking back seven feet of zion from front(one foot gap over this sort of wall). with the swamp cooler on the floor in the back facing forward. i hope to keep the space between the zions back beds cool for a place for the cats if they want it by using the 'reflectix wall' i will shrink the back area to less than 200 cubic ft.

i bought this swamp cooler and yes the total price with intake hose and extra filters was 450.00 dollars -it's for the cats-lol

!12-Volt Cooling for Humid and Dry Climates

win3

this chart shows that humidity drops from morning to afternoon-which is the time of day the cats would need it.

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/U ... -state.php

i only need to keep a small area cool for them.

this video of a customer using the win3 part-he got the dual sytem gives me the idea this might work to a degree. remember though the temperature he shows is NOT his entire van-just the air in front of him i think this small section will cool the cats

one more thing i found out-humid air rises-i originally thought opposite i'm thinking the fantastic fan will slowly pull forward the warmer humid air

the temperature versus humidity chart 1/2 way down this page gives some info-if it is less than 60 degrees humidity-or closer to 50 humidity i think there is a shot

Swamp Cooler Caveats - Evaporative Coolers - What You Should Know

i will have this sensor around floor level in the back that can remotely monitored

http://www.amazon.com/Elertus-Sensor-Re ... ds=elertus
Hi Gerry, did you also buy the optional Air Intake Housing Kit when you purchased your MightyKool Win3? Thanks
classbbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:43 PM   #45
Platinum Member

I'm not sure how to answer this. I found that this system would cool enough for my cats in the few instances i used it.

HOWEVER-red alert-red alert. i don't use it now -why you may ask.

because we do not take the cats and if no cats no worries about cats when we are not there.

what happened.

we have 2 cats. one needs insulin shots twice daily. because she has autoimmune disease she can't easily be boarded except at vets(big bucks).

our plan was to take our 2 cats and give this cat it's shots-well who knew,
that the second cat gets car sick-throws up,poops,and drools just about as soon as vehicle moves. we have tried training her multiple days,cat sprays,voodoo-nothing works.

both cats hate travel-we thought we could get them used to it BUT they are not co-operating.

so plan b. we found ae great place for boarding for all situations even if we don't always need it-the cats are staying home or boarded.

this will now be their away from home-http://www.pampurredpuss.com/

however to answer question-the win3 will work for a small space for just the pets-so it does what i bought it for-however except for some very low humidity climates i don't see it working for humans in a larger van
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote