Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2018, 05:06 AM   #1

Default Seeking Recommendations Based on My Requirements

Hello,

I have decided to be a Class B full timer, and am still in my market research phase. I am to seeking advice and recommendations on this forum based on my requirements.

- Max Length: 21 feet
- Full off-grid ability through solar modification (I anticipate using 800-1000 watts per day, please inform me if this wattage seems unrealistic)
- TV or ability to install TV

Finance Requirements:
- Monthly loan payment not to exceed $700
- Must not depreciate faster than I am paying off the loan (do not want to lose significant $ on a resell)
- I am estimating this would mean not to exceed $60K on the van, with a 120 month payment plan, 7%-10% APR

Thanks for your consideration! I'm looking forward to hearing from some of you guys who have experience. Please let me know if you see any red flags with these requirements.
Cctodd2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:54 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cctodd2530 View Post
Hello,

I have decided to be a Class B full timer, and am still in my market research phase. I am to seeking advice and recommendations on this forum based on my requirements.

- Max Length: 21 feet
- Full off-grid ability through solar modification (I anticipate using 800-1000 watts per day, please inform me if this wattage seems unrealistic)
- TV or ability to install TV

Finance Requirements:
- Monthly loan payment not to exceed $700
- Must not depreciate faster than I am paying off the loan (do not want to lose significant $ on a resell)
- I am estimating this would mean not to exceed $60K on the van, with a 120 month payment plan, 7%-10% APR

Thanks for your consideration! I'm looking forward to hearing from some of you guys who have experience. Please let me know if you see any red flags with these requirements.
If coach length is critical for you, remember that if the coach has a spare tire that's housed in a swing down Continental behind the passenger rear door, it will add close to additional foot to the advertised length.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
If coach length is critical for you, remember that if the coach has a spare tire that's housed in a swing down Continental behind the passenger rear door, it will add close to additional foot to the advertised length.
Thanks. Are you referencing the Roadtrek 190? I still am considering it.
Cctodd2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:07 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Do you mean 800-1000 watt-hours per day? That's 80 AH at 12.5 volts, which you can get from a couple AGM batteries. That's a fairly common setup.

I don't know how realistic it is to expect to keep those batteries charged with the amount of solar you can fit on a typical class B, though - a lot of that will depending on where you like to travel & set up camp.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:31 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks. Are you referencing the Roadtrek 190? I still am considering it.
Yes, I am, for all the RT Chevys, but let me clarify this. Some class B coaches have their tires mounted under the chassis. Others provide no spare at all. The remainder house the spare in a Continental mount that uses a hitch receiver for attachment. If this Continental spare tire mount is standard equipment it is probably included in the overall advertised length of the coach. But if it is an option, to determine the real world coach length you have to add it's fore-and-aft dimension. Since it fits into a hitch receiver it can be installed and removed but it's fairly heavy and doing it on a repeated basis IMO would be a PITA.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #6
Gold Member

I’d go for the Chevy 190. In your price range, you can get a really nice low mileage unit. I use the continental spare tire for an outdoor table (down) and use a Stowaway cargo carrier for a lot of extras. System work well.
Thevon is offline   Reply With Quote