Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2017, 09:44 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default selling ethics

I made a post on the Roadtrek and Hymer site about all Roadtreks now in florida-both on dealer lots and privately owned not all are now 'suspect' unless proven not flooded vehicles.

I was then attacked by a florida roadtrek owner who insisted hers was not in a flooded area.

i deleted ny post because as i thought about it i suppose it wasn't fair.

However i suspect most roadtreks-not all-especially on dealers lots in certain areas-in fact most rv;s have been flooded.

what's the protocol.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:51 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
I made a post on the Roadtrek and Hymer site about all Roadtreks now in florida-both on dealer lots and privately owned not all are now 'suspect' unless proven not flooded vehicles.

I was then attacked by a florida roadtrek owner who insisted hers was not in a flooded area.

i deleted ny post because as i thought about it i suppose it wasn't fair.

However i suspect most roadtreks-not all-especially on dealers lots in certain areas-in fact most rv;s have been flooded.

what's the protocol.
I don't understand, "protocol" for what?

I also don't understand. Most folks, most vehicles were not flooded.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:57 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
I don't understand, "protocol" for what?

I also don't understand. Most folks, most vehicles were not flooded.

Bud
what started this was a 2017 hymer active who was selling a less than 5000 miles van for 25000 dollars who lived in the west side of florida.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:59 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I would think it would be just like with cars from questionable areas. They may or may not have been declared salvage, may have had the title "scrubbed" to show clean, or may have been privately dried out and not show anything odd. All bets are off after and event like this, but the vehicles will be delayed by several years in many cases, which makes them low miles for the year, and probably looking very good to the eye.

Carfax for sure on any used vehicle to see if it has ever been in a flooded area during an episode, even if Carfax is clean, if it was in the area the vehicle needs a very thorough water damage inspection.

We see the southern cars here in Minnesota all the time, as all the locals like the idea of a history of no salty roads, but with that benefit comes the need for more diligence in relation to the bad things that can happen in the south.

Salt water flooding is particularly bad, and there is nearly no chance that they can be dried out fast and well enough not to have electrical issues. Fresh water flooding is better, but I would still not want one.

I was just on Craiglist today looking at stuff, and it seems like 1/3 of the vehicles show a salvage title, and many more than that being shown without plates on them, so very likely from somewhere else.

Bottom line, be very, very, very, very, careful and don't hesitate to spend some money on a very thorough inspection. If the seller balks at that, time to walk. Very common here to insist on an inspection with the adder that if it passes clean, you pay for it, but if it comes up with any of a list of severe undeclared items, the seller pays for it. Good sellers are fine with that, as long as the list doesn't include minimal items, bad sellers will want nothing to do with it, and usually offer a lower price instead. It is then time to run.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:09 PM   #5
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I would think it would be just like with cars from questionable areas. They may or may not have been declared salvage, may have had the title "scrubbed" to show clean, or may have been privately dried out and not show anything odd. All bets are off after and event like this, but the vehicles will be delayed by several years in many cases, which makes them low miles for the year, and probably looking very good to the eye.

Carfax for sure on any used vehicle to see if it has ever been in a flooded area during an episode, even if Carfax is clean, if it was in the area the vehicle needs a very thorough water damage inspection.

We see the southern cars here in Minnesota all the time, as all the locals like the idea of a history of no salty roads, but with that benefit comes the need for more diligence in relation to the bad things that can happen in the south.

Salt water flooding is particularly bad, and there is nearly no chance that they can be dried out fast and well enough not to have electrical issues. Fresh water flooding is better, but I would still not want one.

I was just on Craiglist today looking at stuff, and it seems like 1/3 of the vehicles show a salvage title, and many more than that being shown without plates on them, so very likely from somewhere else.

Bottom line, be very, very, very, very, careful and don't hesitate to spend some money on a very thorough inspection. If the seller balks at that, time to walk. Very common here to insist on an inspection with the adder that if it passes clean, you pay for it, but if it comes up with any of a list of severe undeclared items, the seller pays for it. Good sellers are fine with that, as long as the list doesn't include minimal items, bad sellers will want nothing to do with it, and usually offer a lower price instead. It is then time to run.

This Craig List thing is interesting. For the last few weeks in the New Orleans Motorcycles there have been some noticeable scams, OBVIOUSLY SO. Several years ago, I would flag them. They were removed. Now I don't.

So I thought, why so obvious? I thought that maybe there is too much time and effort, labor, involved otherwise. They need some 'real suckers' since the're born every day. But maybe it is something else, heck if I know. Anyone know about this subject?

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:22 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
This Craig List thing is interesting. For the last few weeks in the New Orleans Motorcycles there have been some noticeable scams, OBVIOUSLY SO. Several years ago, I would flag them. They were removed. Now I don't.

So I thought, why so obvious? I thought that maybe there is too much time and effort, labor, involved otherwise. They need some 'real suckers' since the're born every day. But maybe it is something else, heck if I know. Anyone know about this subject?

Bud
We also get the very obvious bogus ads, which are mostly used to harvest email addresses and phone numbers, as they are sent to every Craigslist in the country, in many cases. What we get here more is the crooked dealers that are pretending to be a private party to list on the "Owners" listings, usually with a song and dance about buying the car while in the south for some reason or other, and now don't need it, or moving out of the country. The best one lately was a pretty high dollar BMW that was listed in the Minneapolis Craiglist. The guy said he had just moved from Mpls to New York City, so didn't need the car there, but had it stored in Missouri. Then he went on to say the miles would continue to go up because it was his daily driver!

A guy I worked with had his wife's Audi go underwater in a stormwater backup here in Minnesota, and the insurance totaled it. She really liked that car, so they went looking for a similar one on the used market. When they went to look at one listed on Craigslist, it was her flooded car, with a clean title claim that turned out to be forged.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:31 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Well, if the price is unbelievably cheap, then it's either a scam or maybe a flooded vehicle. But that won't be the norm.

Flood vehicles will be offered at market prices and will have been transported to a non-flooded area for sale. So the unsuspecting buyer is really going to get screwed.

Spotting flood vehicles in not all that tough if you know how to inspect carefully. If you don't know how to do this, or take it to someone who does, then you really have no business buying a used vehicle.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:13 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
what started this was a 2017 hymer active who was selling a less than 5000 miles van for 25000 dollars who lived in the west side of florida.
If you read to the bottom of that thread, that ridiculously low price is an obvious typo. The unit had been consigned at a dealer (it is on their website) since April because of personal issues of the owner - probably health...

It is shown on the website today with a $5K price lowering to $84,900. Her original post was followed by two rather odd responses to comments. I suspect that she wasn't feeling or doing well...

That said, who knows if it was damaged on the dealer's lot...

She was originally asking for $95K which is what she still owed on it.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote